Cloning in coco

• Thread starter Darth Fader
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Darth Fader

Darth Fader

So I read on another site about cloning in straight coco. Seemed lots of people were doing this successfully with little effort. Anyone here do this?

Here is my experience. I had picked up these little coco cups at Lowes. I had planned on using them for seedlings so they were just sitting on the shelf until one day when my fledgling Pure Kush bonsai mom fell over and was practically sheered off at the stem by hitting a sharp edge of another pot. Fack! I decided to try to save some cuts right then by cloning straight to coco like I'd read about. I was in a big hurry to get to work so I grabbed my pruners instead of a razor blade and snipped 4 shoots. I scratched & peeled a layer of skin off the ends and put them into the just-prepped coco cups. The cup contained straight botanicare coco soaked w/ ro water @ 6.0 + roots excelurator.

These cuttings languished forever, with some kind of leaf-rot slowly attacking mostly lower leaves, but oddly remaining a pretty healthy green. I kept them in the bathtub w/ my bonsai moms under (2) 26w cfls, summer temps, no a/c (75-90 in CA) and kept them moist. I would cut off the rotten bits and just leave them alone since they hadn't wilted or died. It's seriously been probably 6 or 8 wks. Seriously FOR-EV-AH. 3 of them are still in limbo, but one of them is finally growing this week. Looks like the Pure Kush isn't lost after all.

So is anyone cloning straight to coco successfully? What is it you are doing right that I'm obviously probably doing wrong? I like the idea of cloning straight to coco, but at this point I wouldn't use it for regular propagation, only experimental propagation.

ogtealover420

ogtealover420

Well i have found coco to be my favorite medium for cuttings for a whole list of reasons. It prevents stem rot. It stays moist better than rockwool. The stem is held better than any other rooting "plug or block" in case it gets bumped or whatever. I find the roots really move throughout the coco qucikly. It is also much cheaper than buying packs of plugs or rockwool squares. I treat the cuttings the same as I do any other cloning medium-snip-gel-stick- then striaght in the dome-open once a day for air and thats is all I transplant when i have oodles of roots staight into a hot medium and booyah on to veg....

Top Bottom