Cloning in hard water? Is it possible?

• Thread starter SmokeMan
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

SmokeMan

Hey guys, I have been having lots of trouble with cloning lately so I wanted to see if someone can help.

Im using botanicares 45 site power cloner. I do everything according to what I am suppose to do/instructions. But for some reason my clones will not root and die after 10 days.

I live in the boonies and are water out here is HARD. And taste like shit. Is this water safe to use?

I dont have access right now to using RO water but is there any kind of water I can vuy at the grocery store that will work? I know purified water is too pure. But what about distilled?

B

bluetooth

i live in a hard water area 2 but ive never had clones die on me apart from odd 1 here and there:joint:
plus i normally take my clones of my mom plant around mid morning

xX Kid Twist Xx

xX Kid Twist Xx

Premium Member
Supporter
what are the temps of the water in the cloner? how are the mom plants you are taking them off? Try taking the cuts a few days after a plain watering avoid takeing them after a feeding. this works best for me.

E

ent

Typically with well or city water the clones will still root, just a couple days later than if you used RO or distilled. Use distilled from the grocery store. But I don't think this is your problem. Are the cuts healthy to begin with? You could take a healthy cut and place it in a cup of water for 20+ days and not have them die.

K

kushtech

Typically with well or city water the clones will still root, just a couple days later than if you used RO or distilled. Use distilled from the grocery store. But I don't think this is your problem. Are the cuts healthy to begin with? You could take a healthy cut and place it in a cup of water for 20+ days and not have them die.

+1 on sticking clones in a cup of water for a week and then cloned them heh i've done that alot :afroweed:,

i always check the ph and throw a tsp of vegging solution along with haveing the cuttings dipped in clonex and i have almost 100 percent rooting, but it takes me 2 weeks to get strong and thick roots that wont break off easily when transplanting

what light do you have over them ?maybe too little

j wizzle

j wizzle

ive used an ez cloner, ro, tap, with nutes, without nutes, rockwool with just tap water, ro, and everything roots without problems. water temps ranging from 70-85

i recently messed up and knocked off the top of one of my plants in veg, threw it in my cloner with full nutes and it cloned in 14 days, full on root system.

use a new razor blade each time you clone, make a nice 45+ angle cut and place it in whatever you are cloning quickly and you shouldnt have any problems....thats the most important step IMO

deacon1503

deacon1503

Same here. I have hella hard tap water (550 ppm) and i've found that if i fill a bunch of 5 gal buckets up and let them sit overnight, most of the suspended iron will settle and the water i skim from the top is only about 300 parts, and the bottom of the bucket is blanketed with iron.

What about this: www.gmxinternational.com ?

S

SmokeMan

Thanks guys, the replies helped me figure this out .
All the cuts I take are healthy and good. I know now my cloner needed a deep cleaning. I did it with water and a lil bleach then I ran it for a few hours then I flushed out... then I cleaned it again with 5% hydrogen peroxide and water .. I ran it for 2 days then I ran clean water and then let it sit out in the sun for 2 days.. Now the cloner is as clean as new.
It turns out it was also the cloner light I was using. It was too far away and not helping enough. I thought I could clone this way but apperantly not. I now got the light about 24 inches away from the cloner and now I got roots on all my cuts. Even some flowering cuts that I eed to revg. Im very happy to have figured out the problem.

Thanks for the quik responses everyone! Thats why I love this place!

H

HappyGrower

Hey Smokeman!

I also have Extreme Hard Water @ 600ppm. Way too hard to get plants to root in 30 site ezclone. Stems would turn brown, and clones would all die. If a R.O. System is out of the question, you can just go to your local food store and get several gallons of Distilled water. I switched to that b4 i bought a 6 stage RO system. It worked get. Only added a few drops of Superthrive with the distilled water. The Distilled water will PH at about a 5.5 +/-, so you might have to adjust. Plants would show white roots in 7-10 days.

Hope this Helps ya! :fixed:

Top Bottom