Cloning In Rockwool Help Please!!

• Thread starter Tctahoe
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

Tctahoe

I am new at cloning in rockwool. I researched through the threads and found some great information. My clones have been sitting now for over 2 weeks. Some have roots, some don't. But the leaves are turning yellow. Can anyone give me a 1..2.3.. on how to do this? Here are the steps I did and maybe someone can point to where I am wrong.
I put the ph to 5.5 and soaked the cubes for 24 hours.
I cut the clones off healthy plants at a 45 degree angle.
I left about 3-4 leaves per plant and trimmed the larger ones in half
I used great white and clonex gel and put in the tray with the dome on and a heating pad.
I'm using veg t5 light and left on for 24 hours
I opened the vents on day 2 as there was a lot of moisture in the dome
I didn't realize till reading all the threads from before that I can remove the dome after a certain time, but I have kept it on this whole time just removing it now and then to check plants
I would say now it's been 18 days and maybe 40% have some roots and some of the leaves are curling in and some are turning slightly yellow. They certainly aren't flat out beautiful green leaves.
So this is where I'm at. I removed the dome now after advice from reading previous posts. I do have a ph meter and ppm/ec reader . Do I use R/O water? no, I take my well water and ph from there. It generally will still read .4 ppm so I usually adjust off that.
Please please please help

Hydro head

Hydro head

I use root riot cubes first, 1 inch I soak them but squeeze the access moisture out as u don't want the cubes soaking, then I put them in 3 inch rockwool cubes for my nft setup,u want to keep the rockwool moist so the roots go looking for more moisture but don't let them dry out, leave ur vents shut until u have roots showing and make sure u mist ur lid daily as high rh is good for fresh clones, when u can see roots then open the vents or take the lid off,
Works for me, I use clonex gel for rooting and formulex at 5ml a litre to spray clones and mist lid, I expect others will say what works for them, It sounds like ur rockwool was to wet and u opened the vents to early

Farmer P

Farmer P

I think it's normal to get a little yellowing. When you see roots coming out transplant it. It will get what it wants after transplant and start growing green. Good luck!

H

heisen

What he said.root riot.rockwool is hard even with experienced growers cause it either drys out to fast or stays to wet.ive had a hard time on certain strains in it and the stems just turn to shit.root riot I get 100 percent.use sterile razor cut the clones and dip in clonex.soak the cubes give em one shake and put them in dome.cover it and put in ambient light.on the outside of a t5 works for me.i always get roots on 8th day sometimes sooner.make sure theybarent to wet.check them.if they dry a little dip in water.i don't have to use ro.just straight tap.after I get a pile of roots I plant right down in the hydroton and have no issues

H

heisen

Cloning in rockwool is every bit as easy as root riot or rapid rooters.

Unless ur heat mat is thermostaticly controoled i say ditch it. I never use one
I disagree,you can touch water with rockwool and it sucks up like 20 times its weight in water.It holds that water longer than the root riots.Now water does not insulate so the stems stay colder and wetter.This is my opinion.I had issues in rockwool.Ive never had issues in root riots.Same thing with seeds.Ive lost more seeds in rockwool than anything else.The root riots are way more forgiving to suttle mistakes or changes.Its like hydro vs dirt.Dirt you can leave alone for a week and be fine.Hydro left alone for a week is dead plants.Also the stems come into direct contact with more water.The root riots insulate a little better so if someone has bacteria in there water issues than cloning in rockwool is going to create issues.I use to love rockwool but root riots just work better for me is all.

G gnome

G gnome

I disagree,you can touch water with rockwool and it sucks up like 20 times its weight in water.It holds that water longer than the root riots.Now water does not insulate so the stems stay colder and wetter.This is my opinion.I had issues in rockwool.Ive never had issues in root riots.Same thing with seeds.Ive lost more seeds in rockwool than anything else.The root riots are way more forgiving to suttle mistakes or changes.Its like hydro vs dirt.Dirt you can leave alone for a week and be fine.Hydro left alone for a week is dead plants.Also the stems come into direct contact with more water.The root riots insulate a little better so if someone has bacteria in there water issues than cloning in rockwool is going to create issues.I use to love rockwool but root riots just work better for me is all.

J agree and also why i prefer root riot or rapid rooter. I just meantthe process is just as easy

vangs

vangs

im not using a Matt and I feel like its not warm enough.. can. you explain your method? I start by soaking my cubes in water with clones solution ph at 5.5 and then I dip the clones into clones gel and plant into the cubes, domed on. and from there my results vary, I worry the cubes arnt warm enough.

Grimmstone

Grimmstone

I agree used a mat without thermostat and fried my clones. Now I just make sure they are in a warm room.

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Self-Proclaimed Don Quixote
Supporter
I find that moist but not wet cloning medium is the best to encourage rooting for my plants, i think plant takes it slow when it has too much moisture also it encourages rot. It should just be moist ie. when you rub it gently onto a surface it shouldn’t leave any water behind, you should think “it is too dry for the plant to survive” if you are a newb like me. This worked for me, before that i was keeping it wet and no roots were showing. Also i find that if you keep them 18/6 they root better as in darkness rooting process is faster.

Top Bottom