Cloning My Cuts From Topping?

• Thread starter g.stone
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
g.stone

g.stone

can I use the cuts from topping to propagate clones? I know its best to use bottom cuts but i'm also retarded so I figured best to ask before wasting time

We Solidarity

We Solidarity

I only use my tops for cloning - strongest part of the plant. Lower growth is usually the oldest tissue on the plant and doesn't make for very good clones compared to the tops.

g.stone

g.stone

I only use my tops for cloning - strongest part of the plant. Lower growth is usually the oldest tissue on the plant and doesn't make for very good clones compared to the tops.

that's what I was actually thinking, new growth should have more hormones. it's been a few years since I've made clones and I remember I'd use the bottom cuttings after pruning, they always rooted with ease. I've never topped a plant though and really didn't want to waste the cut haha. I'll probably try some top cuts when they're actually ready to cut more. I gotta study lollipopping and pruning. thanks man!

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

I only take clones from the lower sets, never the tops. I'm a clone guy for alot of people, 6 clones out, 6 more in, repeat. 100% Success rate for years now.

xavier7995

xavier7995

I clone whatever I snip off before flower, uppers lowers middles etc. The reasoning behind using tops makes complete sense, I just haven't personally had it make much of a difference. So for the question at hand, use whatever. ...but science backs up using your tops vs. The bottoms.

Bannacis

Bannacis

I use whatever I cut, but usually one would think the main center top would be best, but it mostly the most difficult to clone.
The tops of the lower branches just below the center main is supposedly the best. The lower the top cut on the plant is, The tougher the skin is. little harder to root...not impossible, just more difficult.
But once I do first top and my training, My top spread is so nice that I don't want to remove any from it. That's why I use the next lower branches for clones. And I also lollypop, so when I remove my bottom branches I still try to clone them, so its 50/50 on them. no loss, but if they take...lucky me.

Top Bottom