Cloning Q's

• Thread starter OldSmokie76
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
OldSmokie76

OldSmokie76

Seeded plants tend to grow very symmetrical. Clones have an asymmetric node spacing. From what I've experienced. Is this the general consensus? If clones are taken from a symmetrically developing plant, will the clone remain symmetrical in node spacing and development, or am completely off the path with this theory?

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
Seeded plants tend to grow very symmetrical. Clones have an asymmetric node spacing. From what I've experienced. Is this the general consensus? If clones are taken from a symmetrically developing plant, will the clone remain symmetrical in node spacing and development, or am completely off the path with this theory?
Clones are clones? Correct? Regardless of sex?

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Self-Proclaimed Don Quixote
Supporter
Once the clones reach maturity or gets rootbound it will start to grow asymmetrical too ime. You have to constantly take clones to keep them symmetrical. Before they reach maturity each time. This is a theory tho. At this point since i’ve never tried it myself i can’t guarantee it will work.

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
Once the clones reach maturity or gets rootbound it will start to grow asymmetrical too ime. You have to constantly take clones to keep them symmetrical. Before they reach maturity each time. This is a theory tho. At this point since i’ve never tried it myself i can’t guarantee it will work.
Define maturity?

OldSmokie76

OldSmokie76

I'm about to test it. Seeded mother is month old+. Straight as an arrow and mirror symmetry. Approx 6 branch sets tall. Four shoots on bottom node have developed. Each shoot identically symmetrical so far. Two shoots on the remaining nodes to the top.

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
I'm about to test it. Seeded mother is month old+. Straight as an arrow and mirror symmetry. Approx 6 branch sets tall. Four shoots on bottom node have developed. Each shoot identically symmetrical so far. Two shoots on the remaining nodes to the top.
Yeah clone that, put it in a smart pot to prevent it from getting rootbound. It will win you some time and once it establishes itself a bit, clone again and keep repeating this. Its your best bet imo.

H

hawkman

clones are taken in the middle of plant with branches that are at least 12" inches long or have at least 4 nodes

SoLowDolo

SoLowDolo

I am guessing the clone will eventually get asymmetrical nodes even if taken off of a symmetrical plant. I'm no expert, but from what I have read, asymmetrical nodes are a sign the plant has reached sexual maturity. I can only assume the clones will eventually reach sexual maturity also, even if taken off a sexually immature plant.

From my very limited experience, my plants reached sexual maturity at around 6 weeks from seed. It would be interesting to see how this works for clones though... Does a clone know how old it is? Lol, what other factors help a plant reach sexual maturity other than age? Lol sorry, I'm high as hell now...

H

hawkman

I am guessing the clone will eventually get asymmetrical nodes even if taken off of a symmetrical plant. I'm no expert, but from what I have read, asymmetrical nodes are a sign the plant has reached sexual maturity. I can only assume the clones will eventually reach sexual maturity also, even if taken off a sexually immature plant.

From my very limited experience, my plants reached sexual maturity at around 6 weeks from seed. It would be interesting to see how this works for clones though... Does a clone know how old it is? Lol, what other factors help a plant reach sexual maturity other than age? Lol sorry, I'm high as hell now...
Many grow their "clone" for 2 weeks than switch to 12/12 - Yes; it knows it age

OldSmokie76

OldSmokie76

I believe I've read the age of the clones are established from the germination of it's parent mother. A clone cut from a month old plant is essentially a month old physically. We consider it "new" because it is rooting as an independent plant from it's mother. Theoretically, there are cuts out there that are decades old. Any strain that has been kept in existence by clone only has an age established from germination of it's mother. Pretty sure if a plant will lose its symmetry after a certain maturity, then anytime after that, any and all clones will show asymmetrical node spacing.

OldSmokie76

OldSmokie76

It's always been my understanding sexual maturity is whenever the plant senses change in light cycle, triggering sexual development. "Maturity" even would refer to the male generating pollen and the female flower beginning to develope, thus being able to be pollenated. Clones would already be "of age" and can be flowered immediately after rooting. They would bud, however the overall yield obviously suffering. A seed germinated plant placed directly into flower after two weeks on the other hand.... Wonder if it would successfully bud?

OldSmokie76

OldSmokie76

Clones are clones? Correct? Regardless of sex?
Yes, but was referring to the node spacing I've observed in plants from seed vs plants from clone. Symmetrical vs asymmetrical nodes. But yes, a clone is a clone is a clone. No matter what its gender.

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
So how’s it going. Still symmetrical?

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Seeds grow symmetrical until they reach maturity at 5-6 weeks for most strains I have seen. They tend to grow pre flowers first then the new branches grow asymmetrical.

I never took a clone off an immature plant so I have only seen them grow asymmetric. But even a tiny one will stagger it’s branches if it’s mature.

OldSmokie76

OldSmokie76

The seed plant is beginning to show asymmetrical spacing. Approx 6wks. The clones cut from said mother are still symmetrical so far. Approx 3wk. Maybe in theory, I'll be able to get symmetrical clones from these before they start staggering nodes. Anything I cut from the original mother now will just be asymmetrical I assume. All this symmetry talk. LMAO. The only benefit I guess is training of the symmetrical is a bit more uniform. However, I've recently topped an asymmetrical clone in a fashion that creates a triple manifold instead of a double primary split. Theoretically, increasing the tops by one main branch in approx the same amount of time as the symmetrical manifold technique.

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
From my understanding a seedling will flower once it’s under the flowering photoperiod. So from seedling it should start flowering. Which makes sense as it’s main purpose is to reproduce and keep its genetics on the planet.

Wether it’s male or female doesn’t matter, it wants to reproduce and the photoperiod tells it biologically when the clock is about to run out.

In fact some folks do this vs buying autoflowering seeds. They also flower out freshly rooted clones for the same purpose of keeping them small but to avoid ruderelis genetics.

Top Bottom