Cloning question: what's important? Root zone temp....or the ambient room temp?

• Thread starter temu99
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
temu99

temu99

When cloning..........
Is it the WHOLE CLONE itself that need to be in optimal temp range? Meaning....does the room itself need to be in optimal temp?
OR is it JUST the root zone temp that matters?
I'm trying to root clones now in chilly December in S. California. Our temperature is 50-60 F.
I'm using Jiffy pellets, humidity dome, and heat mat set to optimal temp range(75-79 F).......zero roots in 3 weeks.
Wondering if I need to warm up the whole room instead of just the root zones.
Thanks for all the answers in advance.

TaimerPots

TaimerPots

Both are important, as well hormone (clone gel) quality. Everyone thinks you need top dollar equipment but I did my best cloning under a dome, I sprayed the lids inside with a fine mist, long floro on top and I bought a heat pad from Walmart that was attached to a timer, set on medium for an hour on/off. I get clones in 10 days easily

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

They need the right temps and humidity at 100% really helps aid them.

Make sure the soil is packed tight against the stems. I always dip mine straight into water for a min or 2 to prevent air getting into the stems if I'm taking multiple cuts.

I keep air humidity and temps at 80f 100%rh.

Root zone are about 70-74 according to my IR temp gun. Soil should be moist not soaking.

London bud

London bud

A lot of it is down to the health of the mother, vigorous healthy plants give more vigorous faster rooting cuttings in my experience. I've had batches of cuts all take off and other batches all fail. I do think the health and condition of the mother is a big factor

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

A lot of it is down to the health of the mother, vigorous healthy plants give more vigorous faster rooting cuttings in my experience. I've had batches of cuts all take off and other batches all fail. I do think the health and condition of the mother is a big factor
+1

needshelpguy

needshelpguy

I used to have real problems cloning until i got a seedling mat, all i use is a seedling mat healthy clones and a cfl light bulb, mist about three times a day and only lost a couple clones since out of 100s, so I would say root/medium temp is most important and can be cloned in a cold room no problem

SkunkyDunk

SkunkyDunk

Supporter
I do know you have better success if the plant is a minimum of 7 weeks old from seed, 8 and longer is better.

TaimerPots

TaimerPots

I guess it needs to be stated whether or not you're using soil or rock cubes, I use hydroponics with cubes for my cloning.
Just something to consider, the first week of flower seems to be the best time to clip clones for me, the plant is growing like crazy and very vigorous plus for those of us using bag seed it's a great way to know the sex before investing too much time and money.

Top Bottom