Cloning Success Finally! Here Is What Worked.....

• Thread starter DGP
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
DGP

DGP

For whatever reason I have had a lot of trouble with consistant cloning. I used a Turbo Kloner but the water temperatures always climbed out of spec and I would get slime in the cloner and root failure or rot. I had about 60% success with root riot foam plugs in a cloning dome but very slow to root. I had ongoing problems with Clonex rotting the stems and any rooting would always take place above the rotted area with Clonex. I am really wondering if Clonex even works or helps. I always seem to get enough clones to continue my grow but it has been very frustrating to have to waste so much material to keep the grow moving forward. Now my two mothers are not getting wacked back so much and I can let them grow out more.

So this time I used a standard cheapo plastic cloning tray with dome, rockwool plugs and nothing but water (flood and drain manually once or twice per day) and success: 100% roots on 24 clones! I set the cloning tray on a plastic riser to keep it off the concrete floor and put it in a place that was receiving reflected light for about 1.5 weeks and then to stronger T5 light after that. 10-12 days and all were rooted some needing a little more time to develop longer roots. This time I never saw the clones wilt or fall over even for a day or so like in the past. All of them stayed vibrant and upright the whole time. I am wondering if managing the light level helped keep them from falling over at all. A couple weeks ago I lost all my clones due to Pyrethrin burning off all their leaves so I am delighted to have a cloning tray full to replace the ones that were lost....lesson learned about what Pyrethrin can do to small plants.

Since I am experimenting with DWC I put the ones that had fairly long roots into hydroton and into a bubbler tray to develop further. The rest will go another 3-5 days in the cloning tray and then I need to build a bigger bubbler tray.....

In addition to this tray that was successful, I have the Turbo Kloner running in a cooler room this time with ResClear in it to see if I can make it run successfully just as a test. I am keeping close tabs on water temperature and PH (5.8'ish). Sometimes I wonder if a little (0.1%) chlorine isn't going to be my friend when it comes to keeping the water clean.

DP

Cloning success finally here is what worked

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom