Cloning with THICK branches

• Thread starter LEDhead
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
LEDhead

LEDhead

I've seen all the how tos online but they all show a plant with toothpick size branches :( my baby is THICK and it's only 13" tall can I still cut her lower ones that are the size of about 4 toothpicks and still clone successfully? I'm using an Aquirium from HydroFarm and it's 2' away from my 400w MH

S

stormannorm

I think 2" away from an mh is too close maybe 12" is better.As long as u treat them rite and keep them humid and use a root hormone it dnt matter how thick they are thicker the better i think.

Peace out. ..Gd luck

P

Producer

I dont exactly know that bro. I usually take smaller cuttings. I just now took two bigger ones because I was working in my grow tent and accidently lost my balance and snapped one of my mothers in half. But I didnt want the whole plant to go to waste so I took two bigger sized clones off of her. And one looks like its doing really well! The other not so much, its still alive but has allot of yellowing leaves...
So I dont know, I'd give it a shot. See what happens.

But its not a bad idea to see what others have to say first.

Maybe post a few pictures of the area or cutting you'd like to take.
That way people have a clearer picture of what you're looking to do.
Pictures help lots!
Best of luck!!

P

Producer

I think 2" away from an mh is too close maybe 12" is better.As long as u treat them rite and keep them humid and use a root hormone it dnt matter how thick they are thicker the better i think.

Peace out. ..Gd luck

Of course 2" is too close!! Im pretty sure he meant 2 feet! Which is perfect for a clone.
" = Inches
' = Ft

Dont do 2inches! You'll fry them! lol.
"High nitrogen content cuttings seem to root more poorly than cuttings with medium to low nitrogen content. Therefore, young, rapidly-growing stems of high nitrogen and low carbohydrate content root less well than slightly older cuttings. For rooting, sections are selected that have ceased elongating and are beginning radial growth."

So lower older nodes are better.
And typically smaller cuttings tend to root faster!
Its harder for a bigger sized cut or thicker size stem to start producing roots.

LEDhead

LEDhead

Of course 2" is too close!! Im pretty sure he meant 2 feet! Which is perfect for a clone.
" = Inches
' = Ft

Dont do 2inches! You'll fry them! lol.
"High nitrogen content cuttings seem to root more poorly than cuttings with medium to low nitrogen content. Therefore, young, rapidly-growing stems of high nitrogen and low carbohydrate content root less well than slightly older cuttings. For rooting, sections are selected that have ceased elongating and are beginning radial growth."

So lower older nodes are better.
And typically smaller cuttings tend to root faster!
Its harder for a bigger sized cut or thicker size stem to start producing roots.

2 feet is what the lights at and thanks for info :)

P

Producer

lol I figured as much! 2 inches....lol! C'mon now.
That made me laugh.

I

ibTheMan

Taken clones under a 400w is to much , i dont care how high the light is. T-8 work great for clone'n or small T-5's.

LEDhead

LEDhead

In the resi (small chamber under the clone tray that has heat mat under it so it will build humidity in the cloner) should I put calmag with my RO or just ph it ? If so at what ppm
And again LMFAO the light is 2' away from the top of dome :)

P

Producer

Hmm I dont know there, I dont clone the way you do.
I just use Clonex for my cuttings and put them into jiffy pucks.
And ibTheMan does have a point, I preffer to use Fluorescents but thats just me. I have T-5's I use for cloning.
Are the plants you're taking your cuttings from now under the 400W? If so I think it should be fine...but because its such a strong light it will most likely encourage your cutting to grow...and not producer roots...so I dont know..
I've never used anything but a T-5 Fluorescent for cloning.

LEDhead

LEDhead

Yes it's under a 400w now the cloner is off to the side of it if I put them in in rear they are 2' 3/4" away I do have a t5 but with it on the 400 is just a litte brighter but in the rear the t5 shows light

LEDhead

LEDhead

how can i load pics from my phone ? running to the mac to load pics is a task :(
heres what it looks like

IMG 4062
IMG 4061
P

Producer

Nice bro!
You'd have to put your clones closer to the side that has light though.
Looking good man.

LEDhead

LEDhead

A buddy came by and looked at it and said it was still too much light and advised me to take it out and put the t5 on it so that's what I did :)

P

Producer

There we go bro!
Thats sort of what I figured too, because I've only ever used T5's for cloning.
Even my Veg Tent is all T5's.
But my reasoning was that if the mother you took the clone from was under the 400W than it might be used to it. But like I said after too, that strong of light spectrum would encourage it to grow tall and stretch, and not encourage it to grow roots, which is what you need if you un turn want it to grow after.
But right on man! Glad you got it all figured out!

ttystikk

ttystikk

In the resi (small chamber under the clone tray that has heat mat under it so it will build humidity in the cloner) should I put calmag with my RO or just ph it ? If so at what ppm

You want to put a little cal/mag in RO water, along with very weak nutes. start the cal/mag at 1/4 label strength. run nutes that weak or even weaker. total ppm should be in the neightborhood of 250-300. pH 5.8-6.0 temp of the root zone low 70s, 75 is getting warm. if in soil, spray mist those girls! if in cloner, not so much need.

E

Elite Nugs

Dont add calmag. Way too much nitrogen in that stuff. You shouldnt add anything to them until there rooted. I get best results from just tap water. They seem to root way slower in RO water, and a lot wont root at all if you start adding nutrients. Root stimulator are good, like Rapid Start or RootsExcel, but nothing else. You have to make the cut work for those roots. If you dont, then it wont grow roots. And if it does root, it will most likely be a weak clone. I think just plan ol tap water is the best, ph'd to 5.5 if using rockwool. 5.9 if your using an ezcloner.

E

Elite Nugs

Oh.... and dont put too much water in the bottom of that tray. You dont want your cubes saturated in water. Otherwise you'll deprive them of oxygen and have a lower success rate. Dont leave stagnate water in the bottom of the tray. If you want higher humidity, buy a dome to go on top of the tray and give them a light spray once or twice a day for the first few days.

And if your using a heat mat... I hope you have a temp controller with that thing. I dont use those anymore. They just cook your clones and are unnecessary unless where ever you have them is really cold. All those mats did was cook mine. I put folded up towels between the heat mat and the bottom of the tray and it still got way too hot in there.

E

Elite Nugs

It looks like you need to flush this girl out pretty good. Crinkly droopy leaves are never a sign of good health.

169182d1315691841t-cloning-thick-branches-img_4061.jpg.att

J

jetcat

the first main lead usually isn't great. but after you've taken that one the rest should work fine. i like to take slightly thicker ones to get a head start on veg. they just take a few days longer to root. i use a 1000watt hps for all vegging and cloning. the clones are just way off to the side.

Top Bottom