Cloning

• Thread starter Bobble
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
stanknugzz77

stanknugzz77

I have never personally utilized honey to promote rooting, but several sources say that it can be done. You can also utilize an aloe plant or willow tree tea as alternatives. Indolebutyric acid is a plant hormone that is present in weeping willow and stimulates rooting. Good luck with rooting your cuttings! Positive vibes...

~nugzz

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
You can use raw honey yes, but it wont help it root faster it will just prevent infection and help the cut heal quicker, keeping the plant alive. Pasteurized honey does not have the same properties. Cloning gel works much better though.

Anthem

Anthem

On the cloning subject and cuts healing. Heard some rather interesting information from a study with clones. Subject was what part of the plant to take the cut, trimming fan leaf's and number of fan leaf's. So the study was completed in controlled grow rooms and they found that it did not matter if you took the cut from the top or bottom of the plant. Second out come was that cutting the ends off the fan leaf's actually did more harm than good, due to damage created by cutting and the healing process. Last item was that the most success was created with 3 fan leaf's per clone.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
On the cloning subject and cuts healing. Heard some rather interesting information from a study with clones. Subject was what part of the plant to take the cut, trimming fan leaf's and number of fan leaf's. So the study was completed in controlled grow rooms and they found that it did not matter if you took the cut from the top or bottom of the plant. Second out come was that cutting the ends off the fan leaf's actually did more harm than good, due to damage created by cutting and the healing process. Last item was that the most success was created with 3 fan leaf's per clone.

Cutting the fan leaves does more harm than good if they have adequate space and the dome isnt too crowded. Pack 30-50 good size clones in a tray and it's a different thing. I always trim the leaves on cuts in a crowded dome and it's never been a problem. But lots of big overlapping leaves in the cutting tray can quickly become a problem.

dire wolf

dire wolf

What kind of study , its really hard to generalize these things or claim a difinitive method, some of your clones may be 4 inches, some 6 inches, more height will obviously come with more leaves, cutting right below a node and cutting the attached leaf at that point usually results in more robust root growth, in a crowded box, full leaf without trim will cause 2 negative issues, one they are heavy and if your cut is frail , the the added weight can be stressful,, if there are full leaves and they are laying on top of their neighbor they can cause excessive wet spots that can increase chances of fungus or bacterial growth.....

New growth on the tops of plants have softer stem than the lower shoots, in my experience , although they look better for cuts, sometimes they dont root as well as lower growth , axioms etc....

If you find clonex too expensive or if you are against chem/hormone grow products
Then go for the honey,, but guarantee clone x is a hundred times better in that( clone ) application.....

And dirtbag said hes made tens of thousands of clones, so probably any advice you get here is going to be so much better than " a study"
Like a study made by who ?

Also many strains , plants will clone easy effortlessly , others are difficult, thats a fact...

Experiment on your own , your results will be much more valuable than a study......

Last edited:
Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
What kind of study , its really hard to generalize these things or claim a difinitive method, some of your clones may be 4 inches, some 6 inches, more height will obviously come with more leaves, cutting right below a node and cutting the attached leaf at that point usually results in more robust root growth, in a crowded box, full leaf without trim will cause 2 negative issues, one they are heavy and if your cut is frail , the the added weight can be stressful,, if there are full leaves and they are laying on top of their neighbor they can cause excessive wet spots that can increase chances of fungus or bacterial growth.....

New growth on the tops of plants have softer stem than the lower shoots, in my experience , although they look better for cuts, sometimes they dont root as well as lower growth , axioms etc....

If you find clonex too expensive or if you are against chem/hormone grow products
Then go for the honey,, but guarantee clone x is a hundred times better in that( clone ) application.....

And dirtbag said hes made tens of thousands of clones, so probably any advice you get here is going to be so much better than " a study"

Also many strains , plants will clone easy effortlessly , others are difficult, thats a fact...

That's no exaggeration, but it's also not that many in the grand scheme. Some of the guys I work(ed) with have taken hundreds of thousands of clones. One buddies LP does thousands of clones per week. There is a fairly standardized method we all use and it works very well. Most of us use rapid rooters, root riots or peat pucks, a couple guys still use rockwool although my limited experience using it has been mixed. I've honestly only ever used wool cubes to root in once and it was recently. I got 99% success rooting but it took way longer than it does in RR's. One guy i know uses an aerocloner but he doesnt have a very big setup.

Anyway, clipping the leaves has never caused me any issues and it is a must if you're packing the tray full. Just smart to use very sharp sterilized scissors. As for where to cut and number of leaves left on, I havent found much difference in rooting success based on what part of the plant I cut from. Though I usually will take mostly tops off my moms as I want the fattest stemmed clones to start with. Number of leaves is something I have never really considered, but i guess 3 is about right honestly. I leave all growing nodes but remove up to the top 2-3 leaves.

Anthem

Anthem

Experiment on your own , your results will be much more valuable than a study......

The study was completed by Doctor Deron Caplan
That's no exaggeration, but it's also not that many in the grand scheme. Some of the guys I work(ed) with have taken hundreds of thousands of clones. One buddies LP does thousands of clones per week. There is a fairly standardized method we all use and it works very well. Most of us use rapid rooters, root riots or peat pucks, a couple guys still use rockwool although my limited experience using it has been mixed. I've honestly only ever used wool cubes to root in once and it was recently. I got 99% success rooting but it took way longer than it does in RR's. One guy i know uses an aerocloner but he doesnt have a very big setup.

Anyway, clipping the leaves has never caused me any issues and it is a must if you're packing the tray full. Just smart to use very sharp sterilized scissors. As for where to cut and number of leaves left on, I havent found much difference in rooting success based on what part of the plant I cut from. Though I usually will take mostly tops off my moms as I want the fattest stemmed clones to start with. Number of leaves is something I have never really considered, but i guess 3 is about right honestly. I leave all growing nodes but remove up to the top 2-3 leaves.

I was only quoting what I heard on a podcast by Cannabis Cultivation. I believe the individual that conducted the study was Doctor Deron Caplan, but do not quote me on that. I too have not tried not cutting the leaf's. And I have to agree that cutting them makes for much more room with a full tray. I use rock wool always for clones and I have at times put 56 in a tray with a full mate, so cutting makes sense. I have about a 99 to 100 percent success ratio with clones and with rockwool if I push it I can see roots in 8 days, usually 10 to 12 days. I was just sharing the information.

dire wolf

dire wolf

Cool , thanks for sharing , sorry if i came off a little skeptical , i just hear and read about so much bullshit and overnight experts,( not you, )i mean the avalanche of bad internet advice , so i immediatly doubt it and my thoughts lead to the idea that theres more value in being able to comminucate with first hand growers who share truthful knowdledge, even if its innacurate like mine might be at times 👍

Anthem

Anthem

Cool , thanks for sharing , sorry if i came off a little skeptical , i just hear and read about so much bullshit and overnight experts,( not you, )i mean the avalanche of bad internet advice , so i immediatly doubt it and my thoughts lead to the idea that theres more value in being able to comminucate with first hand growers who share truthful knowdledge, even if its innacurate like mine might be at times 👍
No worries, I was kind thinking along the same lines. But the guy had an advanced degree and the host of the podcast was really giving him shit because he basically works for Scott. I am probably going to try the full leaf on thing and 3 leaf's to see how it goes, but this is not ground breaking stuff. The old old school way, rockwool works great as long as you cut on an angle in the middle of the node and use a rooting hormone. I am way old school on the rooting hormone. Been using dip and grow for years.

dire wolf

dire wolf

Hey A also, i thought i was rsponding to B , oh shit , that sounds funny......
I forgot that it wasn 't even you asking the honey question.....
I think thats why my response went a little sideways

patriots333

patriots333

Can I use Honey as a cloning gel?
try clonex rooting solution and clonex gel , honey seriously 1x1x1 cubes root faster
IMG 20200504 181618161 HDR

patriots333

patriots333

I have never personally utilized honey to promote rooting, but several sources say that it can be done. You can also utilize an aloe plant or willow tree tea as alternatives. Indolebutyric acid is a plant hormone that is present in weeping willow and stimulates rooting. Good luck with rooting your cuttings! Positive vibes...

~nugzz
ya ok , never in my 13 years but hey what do i know . its just a weed , don't overthink it

stanknugzz77

stanknugzz77

ya ok , never in my 13 years but hey what do i know . its just a weed , don't overthink it
Cannabis is not a weed. I feel like you were offended by my post somehow? I'm confused haha. Are you saying that you are 13 years old? That would make a lot of sense. Positive vibes...

~nugzz

patriots333

patriots333

Cannabis is not a weed. I feel like you were offended by my post somehow? I'm confused haha. Are you saying that you are 13 years old? That would make a lot of sense. Positive vibes...

~nugzz
no i'm a master grower who owns 120 k grow and dispensary so using honey is ridiculous as your profile pic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom