Closed Cell Foam Safe?

• Thread starter Jamz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Jamz

Jamz

Hello all! Not my first time around the block but it's been awhile and a much smaller space! Any insight would be great!

I am planning a small closet setup in an apartment, and I have a solid plan except for sound proofing. I live in a downstairs apt and need to soundproof the ceiling at the least. I am looking to do this fairly cheap. I have access to endless amounts of free foam, mostly closed cell used for shipping. Is this safe to use? I am aware that it would be a fire hazard and would need extra measures to make it safe, but also wondering if the material itself is safe for plants or will it off gas something? A simple answer for a simple question will suffice, I am just exploring a free option at my disposal.

Cheers

Tony69

Tony69

I would not use spray foam, it is not the best option for sound proofing. Menards has an excellent insulation product made from denim. It is made for sound control. Works excellent.

Canalchemist

Canalchemist

I have a pretty good sense of smell, put the foam in a closet for a day, then run outside for a few minutes to clean out the nose blindness, go back inside have a wiff in the closet, if ou smell something that isn't your socks it's off gasing, most stuff from China that off gases is pretty obvious, BTW foam won't really be that great at arresting low frequencies, baffles and bungee cords are good at that. Hang stuff on bungees and see about a box with baffles for your fan, somebody has built one I am sure.

Top Bottom