Co2 Burn? Help Idk Whts Going On!!

• Thread starter Phockshlock
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
P

Phockshlock

Plants were healthy, growing in 100 percent perlite with coco and plastic containers.
Cant figure this shit out and its making me sad.
Using age old irganics with humic, age old help, drip clean, cal mag and age old kelp epsom salts as well. Also have a co2 tank.
Got a gavita, temps high 70's to low 80s
Humidity from 50 to 60
Plants hve suddenly taken a turn for the worse, i want to blame the rock wool for never getting dry but indint want to wait for them to die.
They arent getting better with time.
Any insight would be awesome.
Cheers!

Co2 burn help idk whts going on
Co2 burn help idk whts going on 2
Co2 burn help idk whts going on 3
Co2 burn help idk whts going on 4
Co2 burn help idk whts going on 5
McCannabis

McCannabis

I have a few guesses. Your droopy plant is either over or under watered. And the color of the leaves makes me think it's a deficieny.

P

Phockshlock

The roots are all starting to look a little more brown than when i got them, theyre taling days to fill in :/ have you ever successfully treated pythium?

pugliese63

pugliese63

You mentioned your in rock wool cubes. Organic and rock wool won't mix well. Plus your going into 100% perlite. Basically you're running a hydro-organic system. Hydro-organics is tricky to say the least. The rock wool is very alkaline and needs a hydro type nutrient ph adjusted to 5.5. Running into straight perlite the ph would be closer to 5.8.
First, by all appearances it looks like your clones are overwatered due to the rock wool not drying out. Secondly your nutrients are unavailable organically in the rock wool. Organic nutrient solutions always have sediment. This builds up in the rock wool preventing it from drying out. Rock wool needs to go through a wet dry cycle just like coco.
If you like the perlite set up drop the age old organics and switch to something like gen hydro 3 part or even pure blend pro. Lose the epsoms as well if you're going to go with the cal mag. Too much mag causes other problems. And be diligent regarding your pH.
If your dead set on organics you'll need to consider changing to coco or something relative. I use rock wool cubes and transplant into coco, no problem.
Regardless, I would take them out of the perlite and rinse the rock wool thoroughly. Let them dry out for a few days, just until the cube feels lighter.
When plants sit in water or get saturated they develope a calcium deficiency. This is because calcium isn't mobile like other nutrients. It only moves through the plant as the plant takes up water. When the plant is saturated it stops pulling water, hence no calcium is being taken up, even if there is enough in the water. Calcium deficiency is why the leaves begin to yellow, particularly the new growth. Once a wet/dry cycle is established the roots will begin to grow out and the plants should recover.
Good luck, I know how frustrating this type of thing can be.

P

Phockshlock

Pugliese63 thank you soo much for the help. Will be switching nutes asap!
I really reall appreictae the deatailed feed back, hopefully i can repay you some way my friend. I was really starting to think i was a growing failure haha
Will keep an update on how my stuff turns out!

P

Phockshlock

Wait so if i do gen 3 in perlite with rick wool, i should ph it at 5.5 or 5.8?

pugliese63

pugliese63

Wait so if i do gen 3 in perlite with rick wool, i should ph it at 5.5 or 5.8?
Start with 5.5 and go from there. Rock wool likes 5.5 but it will do well up to 5.8.
How are you watering using the 100% perlite? If your top feeding, that could be a little challenging, especially by hand. Looks like your in flood tables. Flood and drain would be the way to go using 100% perlite.
Me personally, if I were trying to get these plants back to full potential I'd switch to coco or even pro mix. The reason being is they will only need watering every few days until they take off. Secondly, the coco or pro mix will provide capillary action to the rock wool cube. What that will do is basically pull the excess water out of the rock wool. This brings the water to air ratio into a more hospitable range for roots to recover. Plus it will keep things simple. Once you're on track you could reconsider the 100% perlite base. It's a real high performance set up that will give great results when everything else is correct. Unfortunately it doesn't allow for any grower error. And the learning curve can be a little disheartening.
I personally use coco. As a matter of fact I've been reusing the same coco for at least 5 years without a single issue. I transplant using rock wool cubes straight into coco. I pH my formula to 5.8 and let it drift up to about 6.2 before bringing it back down to 5.8.
I don't personally use Gen Hydro 3 part but it's a good solid base. Consider running what is referred to as the "Lucas" formula. Do a search on the web, you'll find plenty of resources. It's a very easy formula. All you'll need is the bloom and micro. Add 8ml of micro and 16 ml bloom per gallon. You can supplement with cal mag if necessary. I'd start out at 2 to 3 ml cal mag per gallon. Honestly, there are lots of various formulations that will work. This one is real simple and should get you some positive results without a lot of investment.
Also, you'll have to be patient. When roots get over saturated with water they take a little while to come back. They will come back though.
Once your plants recover you can consider looking into some other nutrient formulas if you're interested. I know a couple of growers that have been using Lucas formula for more than a decade. They love the simplicity and the results.
I hope this helps you get to that happy place.
Good luck.

P

Phockshlock

Great response mate! Ill keep this thread updated when i can.
You really helped clear the air, way better than my hydroponic store did thats for sure.
I got you on a present in thennear future homie, stay tuned :)

LuccaDaddy

LuccaDaddy

You mentioned your in rock wool cubes. Organic and rock wool won't mix well. Plus your going into 100% perlite. Basically you're running a hydro-organic system. Hydro-organics is tricky to say the least. The rock wool is very alkaline and needs a hydro type nutrient ph adjusted to 5.5. Running into straight perlite the ph would be closer to 5.8.
First, by all appearances it looks like your clones are overwatered due to the rock wool not drying out. Secondly your nutrients are unavailable organically in the rock wool. Organic nutrient solutions always have sediment. This builds up in the rock wool preventing it from drying out. Rock wool needs to go through a wet dry cycle just like coco.
If you like the perlite set up drop the age old organics and switch to something like gen hydro 3 part or even pure blend pro. Lose the epsoms as well if you're going to go with the cal mag. Too much mag causes other problems. And be diligent regarding your pH.
If your dead set on organics you'll need to consider changing to coco or something relative. I use rock wool cubes and transplant into coco, no problem.
Regardless, I would take them out of the perlite and rinse the rock wool thoroughly. Let them dry out for a few days, just until the cube feels lighter.
When plants sit in water or get saturated they develope a calcium deficiency. This is because calcium isn't mobile like other nutrients. It only moves through the plant as the plant takes up water. When the plant is saturated it stops pulling water, hence no calcium is being taken up, even if there is enough in the water. Calcium deficiency is why the leaves begin to yellow, particularly the new growth. Once a wet/dry cycle is established the roots will begin to grow out and the plants should recover.
Good luck, I know how frustrating this type of thing can be.
Awesome reply bro thanks

X.rm

X.rm

You mentioned DRIP CLEAN ? What are you using drip clean for ? I dont see any emitters or drippers. The cleaner might be altering the ph in your medium. Also if your giving them cal/mag you shouldnt give them epsom salts too. Both is going to give you excessive magnesium and make Phosphorus hard to uptake. One last thing your pots seem a bit small.... how high are your ceilings and how many times a day are you watering ? The perlite holds very little water that and the intensity of a DE lamp fixture

Latest posts

Top Bottom