CO2- Will this harm and/or kill me?

• Thread starter Fairytalez
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Fairytalez

Fairytalez

Hey guys! Ok so.. I built a big box out of lumber. It's roughly 5+ foot long, 3 foot deep, and almost 8 foot tall. I am going to be lining it with Orca grow film, and make it a sealed grow. I am gonna be running two 650w LED's (Side King SK7000d). I know this is gonna put out some heat so I need to air condition the box. However.. I can't fit the air conditioner.. IN.. the box. So.. I was gonna run it next to the box with a 4" duct coming from the blower part.. straight to the upper left wall of the box. Only problem is.. pressure. I am gonna be running a CO2 tank and would like to keep a steady daytime flow of 1400ppm. I am afraid that IF I have to put a couple small holes in the tent so when I use the air conditioner.. the air will actually be able to enter the box.. that I will be flooding my room with CO2. And in turn.. could possibly either harm and or kill me. Any thoughts on how I could do this?

Last edited:
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Carbon dioxide is not nearly as bad as carbon monoxide. Much will depend on how well sealed your box is. You should be running a co2 controller with a tank and even at 1400 ppm it’s harmless…. Mist basements sit around 1000ppm naturally

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Self-Proclaimed Don Quixote
Supporter
2x 650w leds is overkill for that space you also want to pull fresh air from the bottom part and exhaust from the top but if you’re running co2 you have to fit the ac into the space and not exhaust constantly because otherwise you’re just gonna vent your co2 out constantly

and higher concentrations of co2 is not healthy may not kill you fast but certainly will cause damage

Fairytalez

Fairytalez

Well.. I know people run closed systems all the time. I'm just trying to figure out how to do it with pumping AC into it. Thinking I might have to either time it, and probably put a couple really small holes up top (since CO2 falls). And I do have a tank, regulator, monitors, etc etc. I went all out for this grow. As far as the lights being overkill.. they have dimmers. I mainly wanted to get the two of them so I would have 100% light coverage. Not to mention that with using CO2, they take more light during the exposure. Also.. what do you guys think of my box.. nice eh? Lol

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
Well.. I know people run closed systems all the time. I'm just trying to figure out how to do it with pumping AC into it. Thinking I might have to either time it, and probably put a couple really small holes up top (since CO2 falls). And I do have a tank, regulator, monitors, etc etc. I went all out for this grow. As far as the lights being overkill.. they have dimmers. I mainly wanted to get the two of them so I would have 100% light coverage. Not to mention that with using CO2, they take more light during the exposure. Also.. what do you guys think of my box.. nice eh? Lol
looks flamable for once glad you’re not running hid haha looks nice good work!

also even with co2 depending on the efficacy of the diodes and the fixture efficiency you probably will max out about 750w. but still getting full canopy coverage and running them dimmed is ok of course.

you say putting a couple of holes at the top but when you pull in cold air from the top thats not gonna do much for your plants sitting lower in the box. its gonna work like this, cold air is gonna enter through top and as its heavier than warm air gonna move downwards and gonna get warmer as it does so it’ll start rising again probably without providing decent cooling effect to your plants.

you can build another box around your ac unit. sealed. then recirculate air between those two sealed boxes.

people run closed systems all the time but with proper temp and humidity control at least all the succesful ones i saw were

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Venting a co2 room is a waste and should only be done periodically.

You will need a dehumidifier and AC at a minimum.

The AC should be used so that the hot side coil circulation is outside the room and cold side inside the room. Like a window AC or a dual hose portable (less desirable).

Co2 is not explosive. Ill see if i can find a couple pics of my old sealed grow box equipment and grow side non vented

Fairytalez

Fairytalez

Well I have a bunch of ducting so.. I could just put the cold air exhaust towards the bottom or middle. Just find the sweet spot. But I DO like that idea of building a smaller box and attaching it to the big box. That would definitely work!
And thanks lol Yeah.. might be flammable. But I am planning on getting some of those cigarette box sized flame extinguisher things that go into cars. Flames rise.. poof! Goes out. But it's still a work in progress. I got 100 feet of Orca grow film that I'm gonna line it with. I'm sooo excited! 😂 I bought a BUNCH of seeds to try out too! I shop at Bernie's seeds and they seem to be great. Any thoughts of add-ons or things I should look into concerning my grow?

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
Well I have a bunch of ducting so.. I could just put the cold air exhaust towards the bottom or middle. Just find the sweet spot. But I DO like that idea of building a smaller box and attaching it to the big box. That would definitely work!
And thanks lol Yeah.. might be flammable. But I am planning on getting some of those cigarette box sized flame extinguisher things that go into cars. Flames rise.. poof! Goes out. But it's still a work in progress. I got 100 feet of Orca grow film that I'm gonna line it with. I'm sooo excited! 😂 I bought a BUNCH of seeds to try out too! I shop at Bernie's seeds and they seem to be great. Any thoughts of add-ons or things I should look into concerning my grow?
if not running hid i dont think youll have a problem with flames hopefully but caution is always good :)

i think a second box to hold your ac and dehum is the best option really and you can circulate the air between the two boxes. it’d work much better than the original idea of putting holes at the top.

Fairytalez

Fairytalez

Equipment side… notice the AC and the vent is just coming from the grow side recirculating the air
Is that the filter with the sock on it? I ask cause I'm not seeing the fan for it.
Also.. I am gonna be running my filter/fan vertically in the bottom back left corner.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Is that the filter with the sock on it? I ask cause I'm not seeing the fan for it.
Also.. I am gonna be running my filter/fan vertically in the bottom back left corner.
Its a carbon scrubber the fan is on the upper right side of the grow pic… see the 4” hole

Fairytalez

Fairytalez

I got a 22" AC Infinity filter with the 6" fan they have. It's a beaut! I still need to buy a dehumidifier though. I'm in New Orleans so we don't have to worry about adding humidity 😂

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I got a 22" AC Infinity filter with the 6" fan they have. It's a beaut! I still need to buy a dehumidifier though. I'm in New Orleans so we don't have to worry about adding humidity 😂
Mine was just left in as i ran everything on controllers including my co2 off an autopilot 8200. I just set the temp, humidity and co2 to what i wanted and walk away

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
Co2 is not flammable o2 is… infact they make co2 fire extinguishers lol
hids do fail and its a wooden box nothing to do with running co2 lol

Fairytalez

Fairytalez

I bought the exact same one. Love to hear how well it's working for you!

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Growth is very ridiculous in a system like that. This was a pic 2 weeks orior to that grow pic

Top Bottom