Co2

• Thread starter Kris kush
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
K

Kris kush

Ok so I recently have gotten back into growing. Yay!! Super excited about having a resource like this at my finger tips. So my first question to you all is about co2 use in a sealed room and just some advice on the subject.
Do I need to ever exhaust the room? I have a controller and have it set at 1200 ppms and it turns off at night. I seem to get different answers when it comes to whether or not to ventilate...

G gnome

G gnome

Ok so I recently have gotten back into growing. Yay!! Super excited about having a resource like this at my finger tips. So my first question to you all is about co2 use in a sealed room and just some advice on the subject.
Do I need to ever exhaust the room? I have a controller and have it set at 1200 ppms and it turns off at night. I seem to get different answers when it comes to whether or not to ventilate...
Ur gonna get different answers here too. I personally don't vent and havent had any problems. Nor have i gotten a straight answer as to why i shud exchange air

K

Kris kush

I just recently ran into a well established grower who was claiming that is was a necessity to ventilate with co2 to max yield. I'm going to just go ahead without any ventilation as I planned.
I have yet to hear any logical reasons why I would have to ventilate. I keep hearing the term "stale air"

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

Think of it like this.

Plants use co2 to grow. Add more co2 than ambient, and you get super growth. it's like a person shooting steroids for to get bigger muscles . Same principals. So if you remove all that awesome co2.enriched air amd replace it with less co2.enriched air, your not going to see any gains as you would leaving a room with co2 enrichment sealed with no air exchanges

h4ppyf4rmer

h4ppyf4rmer

so, seeing that this is a Co2 thread, I was wondering if it would work well in a 4x8 bloom tent and what is the added cost to implement a Co2 system for this tent?

I know there is a one-time cost of the regular but I don't know what the usage cost would be and if it's even reasonable to use in a tent where it's not overly air tight.....

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

Adding co2 to a tent isn't the best. Tents leak badly. Even if you were to cover all 4 sides and roof with plastic, it will still leak $ co2 out.

Toull need a bottle or burner
Co2 meter or timer
regulator
Have your room dialed in, if not co2 will make issue more so.

h4ppyf4rmer

h4ppyf4rmer

Adding co2 to a tent isn't the best. Tents leak badly. Even if you were to cover all 4 sides and roof with plastic, it will still leak $ co2 out.

This is exactly what I was thinking as well... there's so many ports and zippers that I can't imagine the Co2 would stay in there very long. Thanks for confirming...

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

I run a.c. with co2. It's cheaper to run gas than run my a.c. from flip to week 6.5. I even use a portable that uses the co2 air exhausted out the house. But 20/week is cheaper than power, and I get +xx oz every harbest.

G gnome

G gnome

Lets just say... If I can keep my room at 80 to 85 degrees with no ac .. You dont see any benefit for adding CO2.
What im sayin is, if ur constantly exchanging ur air in ur rm, ur co2 (money) is goin right out the window.
IMO, by far the best practice is to run ac w co2 and co2 w ac. They go hand in hand.

Judaz

Judaz

While you may get decent results by running CO2 and not ventilating your sealed room, you will hit less weight than if you had properly ventilated as well. The key is to maintain your CO2 levels but slowly vent out the air with a continuous exhausr fan using a dimmer controller or by exhausting every few hours for 10 mins. You must rid the bad gases that form in a sealed room especially if you are burning CO2. You may spend a little bit more on CO2 but the extra weight from the bigger buds you will get trumps that cost.

Here is why: Because of a plant biproduct and burn biproduct gas called ethylene. Ethylene known as the death hormone acts at trace levels throughout the life of the plant by stimulating or regulating the ripening of fruit, the opening of flowers, and the abscission (or shedding) of leaves. Excess ethylene will cause your buds to rippen faster in the last few weeks and will stunt your bud growth. Dying leaves in the last few weeks produce ethylene. Burning CO2 creates ethylene as well.

Plants consume CO2 in the process of photosynthesis and convert it to sugar. Oxygen is a waste product of this reaction, in that water is split to form hydrogen and oxygen. The plant uses the hydrogen to produce ATP. This process is only occurring in the day when there is light. However, at all times, the plant is respiring, just like people. They need oxygen for the metabolic process and produce CO2 as a waste product. Indoor closed grows also produce

Ethylene . This is a plant hormone in a gas form that can have negative effects on flowering plants { specially when the plants are closer to finish]. Any dying and decomposing plant mater can produce Ethylene.

Ethylene damage can be hard to see if you dont know what your looking for and can have very negative effects on your yield .Its nice to shut down the ac at night and flush out all contaminants and start fresh every morning. Some people have good success periodically flushing out there rooms of co2 during the day. There is also some discussion out there regarding stimulating the stomata of the plant to open fully after they have slowly been closing and becoming small from large quantities of co2 in the air. But there is a certain logic to it. [why open your mouth wide if you only need a small breath]. personal preference is the answer you seek ,theres no one way of doing anything

http://www.growerdirect.com/flower-care-ethylene-gas

Judaz

Judaz

Yes effectively exhausting your sealed room will create bigger overall buds that will let you hit more weight per light. Even if your CO2 cost goes up a bit the extra weight you get is well worth the extra cost. It's like spending extra pennies to get back more dollars.

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

False! You never want to exhaust a co2 enriched room. That's utter pointless and a total waste of gas and money. No one would run gas and toss that needed co2 out the room in a sealed application

Ethylene starts when the cure does. This is why most co2 users cut back the co2 last 2 weeks. I just read 15 mins and 10 pages on it.

K

Kris kush

I currently have a controller set at 1200 ppms ( it usually jumps up to 1500)and I'm using a tank and regulator. Since I'm not using a burner I won't have to worry about the air since all that is left should be the oxygen created by the plants... @Judaz what your saying only apply to those who use a burner?

Top Bottom