Coco Beds 1.1------> help me-> help us--> get this right Fam!

• Thread starter Confuten1
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

Will airation of coco beds increase yield?

• Total voters
Confuten1

Confuten1

exploitin strengths - perfectin weaknessess
Supporter
So last round was a success by all accounts (minus the RAs) rocking coco beds, best erthing to date.
As always, i c room for improvement hence the coco beds 1.1

(grow journal can b seen here)---------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------> www.thcfarmer.com/community/threads/coco-beds-w-wifi-and-friends-from-avalon.49261/

How I ran beds last round:

H&G Aqua Flakes A&B
A1(till I die) addititives--- they killed it! plants were so healthy that when the RAs attacked they hardly hurt the final yields and quality!
2X 3x6 white botinicare trays on cylinder blocks (one in each cornor) 1 drain per bed
Hand fed via, pump,wand and 20 gal trash can on wheels once a day (when i wasnt lazy, otherwise every other day)
the drain lip on the beds created a 1 inch hempy type rezzie at the bottom of the beds( plants with the deepest rezzie were the biggest!)I had beds sagging and slopeing in certain areas because of the cylinder blocks only in cornors of the beds to support them.

In each tray:

5 inches deep 50% pithy coco 50% chunky coco 1.25 inch of hydroton on bottom of bed
(one bed had a .25 inch coco matt seperating the hydroton from the coco)

What I learned for last round:
I need an auto feed system set up, hand feed evenly is a challange in my room!
Beds need an even and level surface to mount to, ideally a bed rack mount that has wheels would be great!
Bed with a coco mat( 1/4 inch coco mat) seperating coco top aprox 5 inch dept from hydroton bottom aprox 1.25 inch outperformed other bed without coco matt. The root system was a complete mat of roots hard to sepertate one plant from the other during root atophsy.
Plants didnt mind less than 6 inchs of coco depth but i suspect that they can benifit from more coco medium and dept of root zone.
I need a level bed, non sloped, for even canopy, because
biggest most robust plants had the most hempy type rezzie beneath them.

What i suspect:

Plants could benifit from active airation in the hempy type rezzie.

So as im geting ready to replant beds for my next round, ive been looking into airpumps and air diffusers to add the airation to the beds from the bottom of each tray I plan on adding tubing that will airate like this;

http://www.alita.com/diffuser/siliconehose.php

Silicone Rubber Diffuser Hose
clear.gif

srdroll.jpg

Application:
  • Aquaculture aeration
Features and Benefits:
  • Durable, lightweight, resilient silicone rubber
  • Resistant to low/high pH, corrosion, crack or burst
  • Light to moderate ozone resistance
  • Easy to install, reshape, reposition, remove and storage
  • Can be laid to form variety of patterns, allowing high coverage area with long hose length
  • Designed for even distribution of air bubbles along the entire hose length
  • High oxygen transfer
  • Resistant to clog and with self cleaning ability
  • Low pressure loss
  • Low air pump power requirement
  • Suitable for intermittent or continuous duty application
  • Back flow resistant
  • Offer years of durable and clog free service compare to traditional black rubber hose
Specification:
Hose size: 11mm ID, 14mm OD
Minimum curve radius: ~8 cm, ~3 in
Applicable length: 0.1 ~ 30+ meter, 4 in ~ 100+ ft
Slit density: Approx. 3,300 slits per linear meter, 1,000 slits per linear foot​
Example:
srdedemo.jpg

Anybody using it??

how big of a pump would i need per bed( is there any formula or way to calculate coverage per sqft of bed? i.e x LPM per sqft of bed im trying to airate?

Shit is expensive ive heard, so im planning on running 2 x 6ft sections running the length per bed and a 2ft section connecting, creating a retangale box 2ftx6ft in each bed.

I plan on running a 12 valve manifold so 6 sites per bed, so i was thinking of using 4 sites per bed for even air distrubution. will that work? (thinkin of connecting at each cornor of the retangle shape.

will this type of airation devise work at such shallow depth?(1.25 inches) Ive read of some air deffusers needing 2-3 feet of water to actually work as designed

Jus a couple of things that i need to work out b4 i plant the beds. Any help or thoughts or comments will be greatly appriciated!!

Confu...

Confuten1

Confuten1

Supporter
So i called Alita today reguarding that type of air diffuser hose,basically 6.50 $ per foot of hose and u need about 1-2 lpm per foot for it to work buttttt, to produce micro bubbles u need a compressor type cfm and atleast 3 ft of water. I guess thats why alot of peeps arent running it in the RDWC.

Im thinking for my set up i wouldnt need micro bubbles since im only airating 1-2 inches of water. Anybody have any thoughts?

Also i would be pumping 30 lpm per 3x6 bed, do u think that much air entering the coco/growstone mix from underneath can damage roots??

Confu...

E

el boyo

only one way way to find out bro... been wondering the same for a while... since i started running coco beds... i dont see how it could hurt... probably would have to increase frequency of waterings, but if it is all set up auto, should totally improve growth rates, without a ton of extra work... would just have to figure out watering sched for your setup... also keeping pumps outside of room if runnin co2..
i was thinking of putting those air diffuser hoses, the ones look like soaker hoses in the channels of the trays, and running air through them...
let me know if you ever try it out... it will prob be a while for me, since all my 8x4 trays are full of coco... but when i change em out, i will try on one tray for sure..

E

ECOutlaw

I used that clear stuff about 7 yrs ago when I ran KFB. It doesnt work well. I ended up using 4 1/4' barbed T's in the bottom of my buckets as they allowed tons of huge bubbles without clogging or providing alot of resistance on my air pump. I'm sure there are better solutions today.

S

Schwoop

Cant wait to see round 2!!! Glad your diggin the A1 :D . Your theory is good Confuten, Have you ck'd out the Soma Beds? Ive ran beds with the little soaker hose type bubblers buried in the bottom, I think Somas method is superior and KISS.

Somabeds

Confuten1

Confuten1

Supporter
only one way way to find out bro... been wondering the same for a while... since i started running coco beds... i dont see how it could hurt... probably would have to increase frequency of waterings, but if it is all set up auto, should totally improve growth rates, without a ton of extra work... would just have to figure out watering sched for your setup... also keeping pumps outside of room if runnin co2..
i was thinking of putting those air diffuser hoses, the ones look like soaker hoses in the channels of the trays, and running air through them...
let me know if you ever try it out... it will prob be a while for me, since all my 8x4 trays are full of coco... but when i change em out, i will try on one tray for sure..

Since no one is doing this, your right only one way to find out! lol my only concern with that much air moving thru the root zone is air pruning and to much of it. Im gonna do it so stay tuned to this thread dude.

Confu.

Confuten1

Confuten1

Supporter
I used that clear stuff about 7 yrs ago when I ran KFB. It doesnt work well. I ended up using 4 1/4' barbed T's in the bottom of my buckets as they allowed tons of huge bubbles without clogging or providing alot of resistance on my air pump. I'm sure there are better solutions today.

Do u remember what brand u used, and why disnt it work well, ie. bubble size, clogged, to muchback pressure etc.? Thanks for ur input.
Confu.

Confuten1

Confuten1

Supporter
Cant wait to see round 2!!! Glad your diggin the A1 :D . Your theory is good Confuten, Have you ck'd out the Soma Beds? Ive ran beds with the little soaker hose type bubblers buried in the bottom, I think Somas method is superior and KISS.

View attachment 249612

Yea bro, A1 till I die! Cant deny results my dude.
Ima look into the soma beds, its very sumilar to how i ran my beds last round except i used a coco mat insted of root cloth and no chicken wire jus hydroton plus coco vs soil. Ima check soma out though. Thnx big homie!
Confu.

E

ECOutlaw

I used that exact same product still have some laying around if you want to test some out before you buy (if I remember it was pretty expensive). I used a regen blower from Aquaticeco in Florida. I don't remember the brand but it was huge and loud and only for 4 plants lol. I ran the diffuser hose in a circle in the bottom of the bucket under about 2 inches of water.

Back pressure was definitely an issue but not so much at first. When I first set it up it looked decent but not what I had anticipated for an air diffuser. The amount of air coming out of the holes was pretty minimal and the bubble size was really small.

Then, as soon as the bio slime started to coat the outside of the hose it just really didn't let hardly any bubbles out at all. By the end of the grow the roots had the hose completely covered and when I pealed them back there would be a few spots along the hose where a small stream of bubbles would come out but not anything like the pictures from the OP.

I'm guessing at depth in a fish farming type setup, with a higher pressure air pump, and a way to service/clean the hose this stuff works great. Hope this helps.

Confuten1

Confuten1

Supporter
Hey thnx Ec, i went with latex hoseing for a fraction of the costs and added my own slits to it where it will airate the beds. How many feet were ur circles( total length per circle)? Dis u have multiple inlets per run( im using a 12 outlet manifold for 2 beds, basically 4 inlets per bed. When i talked to the dude at alita he said one oulet per every 5 ft or back pressure will b an issue.
Confu...

E

ECOutlaw

Not exactly sure on the length prolly around a foot and half. Like a bit less than the circumference of a five gallon bucket. It was kind of a long time ago...

From what your saying though I probably did not have it set up properly as I was only using a circle type manifold made of 1/2" poly tubing with one outlet per bucket four buckets in all. Makes sense that back pressure was an issue. Seems like you got this pretty well figured out.

Very smart on the latex! Can't wait to see how this works for you as I run beds of sunshine #4 right now but am going to be doing a small run with coco to see how it works out.

Top Bottom