coco brands gifted with gnats

• Thread starter leadsled
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
Did you buy coco and it has gnats in it?

Are you sure there was not any gnats in houseplants or already present?

if you got gnats and think it was the coco, what brand?

I do not have gnats in my house plants or grow rooms and I have not been getting gnats. Last time had gnats was gifted plants in ffof with gnats.

Brand I have used: canna, roots and sunshine "just coir"

I see alot of posts by people stating they got gnats and recently got into it that not all coco has gnats in it. When I started growing I got gnats few times, I was over watering the pith coco I was using and had houseplants with gnats. so would make sense they came from source other than coco.

What are your experiences?

Does steaming the coco kill the gnats and that is why some brand have it some do not?

Have I just been lucky past few years without having gnats?

When I got gnats, i then treated everything w gnatrol or dunk/bits.

Then calmed down on this practice after no longer seeing any gnats. There gone. Reminds me of when you get mites, you go nuts being preventative cause you don't want them again.

Thanks for sharing.

crom

crom

Cannobi Genetics
Supporter
I use Sunshine Advanced Mix #4 and have used Roots Organic soilless mix, FFOF, Botanicare straight coir (the coffee ground looking stuff)once. Never saw gnats. Anytime I got gnats it was in hydro when I tested a DIY aeroponic/NFT hybrid. Too much water and moisture led to gnats. Never had an issue with the FFOF either. I cut it with perlite and that was that. I use organic mosquito dunks in the res and neem/insecticidal soap as a foliar and "bug spray". This didn't seem to rid me of the buggers but tamed the numbers for sure. I would spray them and use yellow sticky traps. Hope that helps lol

:passingjoint:

Cheers,
Crom

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
gnats just seem to love coco like kids love flatulance

true grit

true grit

bet you aint missing that looking at them UC's!...

Only had problems from off brands. Since then i just assume its me, not the coco. lol.

leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU

True! I have eliminated them.

bet you aint missing that looking at them UC's!...

Only had problems from off brands. Since then i just assume its me, not the coco. lol.

Thanks also confirms my thoughts.

I use Sunshine Advanced Mix #4 and have used Roots Organic soilless mix, FFOF, Botanicare straight coir (the coffee ground looking stuff)once. Never saw gnats. Anytime I got gnats it was in hydro when I tested a DIY aeroponic/NFT hybrid. Too much water and moisture led to gnats. Never had an issue with the FFOF either. I cut it with perlite and that was that. I use organic mosquito dunks in the res and neem/insecticidal soap as a foliar and "bug spray". This didn't seem to rid me of the buggers but tamed the numbers for sure. I would spray them and use yellow sticky traps. Hope that helps lol

:passingjoint:

Cheers,
Crom

Thanks for sharing I ain't got no stinking gnats.

I had gnats from my canna coco and just used azamax and put more fans in my room.

Damn never heard of em in canna. You got any houseplants/other plants with gnats?

Thanks for sharing everyone. Mainly started the thread to get feedback on the supposed problem. Was debating with someone over coco and gnats.

Guy was telling a beginner that ALL coco has gnats in it. I was trying to say that is NOT true.

Well I only deal/used major brands of coco, so probably most newbie will too. Turnout the guy is buying some bulk crap. no wonder.

I been thinking of what changed since the gnats have not been a problem. I thought it was mixing perlite with the coco.

Turns out I may have been wrong about that. I been top dressing with earth worm castings. Turns out the ewc has predatory nematodes in it. Also the myco product has same bacteria as mosquito dunk/gnatrol

Fastest way to kill gnats for me has been sns203c.

Good growing and hope everyone stays gnat free.

Thanks,

Lead

S

swisscheese

No other gnats in my house anywhere. It was from the coco and I like the idea of top dressing with ewc may test that out on a few girls, thanks.

leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
imho, if you got gnats best to kill the larvae and adults first. Sticky traps or a spray/or bomb to kill the adults.
Also would be beneficial to use mosquito dunks/bits, or gnatrol or bacteria to make sure you wipe em out.

I been gnat free and that is one thing I changed so wanted to share it. Look at it like a maintenance, keep em away plan that is beneficial to the plants.

I do not know if the ewc will kill off the larvae solely. And do not want you to get the wrong idea and then not kill off the gnats.

The ewc does provide nutes to the plants as well. Was reading how teas do not produce the nematodes but top dressing ewc does. Then it made sense as to maybe why thing are different. (other than gaining more experience with coco)

I use this as maintenance feeding etc. Not sure it would solely wipe em out. (have not tested that)

Been using 1 tbsp per gallon top dressed on coco every 2 weeks.
I stop at week 4 of flower.

Anyone else has ideas or feedback on top dressing ewc please share.

Thanks,

-Lead

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Hi there, brother. Pull mah finger!

I use Botanicare bales and I had houseplants, but the fucking gnats killed them all! We seem to have wild gnats up here, very difficult to be completely rid of. Mosquito dunks barely dent 'em.

Top Bottom