Coco Coir And Potential Pests

• Thread starter MissBotany
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
Phylloxera. Get those and you might as well burn down your spot.

Pig0959

Pig0959

Would DE have the same effect? What I find appealing about coco coir is that compressed coco brick is basically sterile (I’m buying canna coco compressed). So if I add a barrier of sand or even DE, it is basically impossible for soil dwelling pests to penetrate.
Never heard of using sand layer to keep knats out of coco. Interesting. Ok call me stupid what is DE

Pig0959

Pig0959

Coco grower for 18 years now, ummm be seen mostly fungus nats ...but I got one for you, I take paper towel an put around base of plant, stops gnats from coming up an stops them going down do to the fact that they have no access up or down, also weed fabric on surface...Canna Coco is the most worst coir to use IMO because I've used last two years and gnats in it the bag version not bricks...
cw
So just layer paper towels over coco? I assume replace as needed? Thanks

P

pdx

PDX
I found a single gnat in my grow today but wasn’t fast enough to smush it. Clones were started in rock wool and some sort of potting soil before I received them. Growing in 100% coco coir uncompressed.

newh

newh

Would DE have the same effect? What I find appealing about coco coir is that compressed coco brick is basically sterile (I’m buying canna coco compressed). So if I add a barrier of sand or even DE, it is basically impossible for soil dwelling pests to penetrate.
DE gets muddy,go with sand or gnatnix

newh

newh

Without it , I find the water runs right through the coco. I use the DE weekly. The play sand is sterile and the coco should be rinsed a couple times before use and keep watching the ppm diminish gradually each flush
Canna bricks come washed and buffered

BeepBeep

BeepBeep

Canna bricks come washed and buffered
I'v had lots of compressed coir, Canna included that still had gnats, I assume from eggs? I now heat treat them before use. Stack them in the oven leaving an airspace between and, Bake @ 200 degrees for 4 hours has completely Solved my Problem.

Top Bottom