Coco Coir drainage

• Thread starter justiceman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Rootbound

Rootbound

Supporter
If you are using coco, the nutrients water should not sit on top of rootball for 45 min. What nutrients are you using. Coco should absorb quicker than peat. @mulehunter

M

mulehunter

Never had this happen before just on one of the plants when i use bountea with B3 flush,it drains slow plant is doing good though,regular regimen is gh flora series,seems when i started adding the liquid carma roots exploded even more takes longer for the nutes to go down ,30%Perlite70%cocos.

Rootbound

Rootbound

Supporter
That coco mix should drain well. Not sure why water stands on the top for 45 min.

Wisher619

Wisher619

are you letting your coco dry out???if so then I can see the solution just sitting on top......coco should be watered constantly like I water 2 times a day to 15-20% run off....at 100% saturation rate coco still holds about 30% oxygen....which means that you could literally run solution through all day and never have a problem
I have used pure coco and many ratio's there of including peat and have never had a problem with standing water or drainage
Just my experience

hermit186

hermit186

I grow in 1.5 gal pots and 12 in pots depending on the strains and the larger pot goes into my sea of green room and they stay in veg longer i.e. bigger pot. Look at the root ball if is white leave it alone I have used coco for a while went to Jamaica and stayed till they ran me off I have used coco from my return. I have never seen what your describing unless the coco was very dry and if it were the plant would be drooping. Coco doesn't hold very much of the nutrient solution in suspension. I did give up top watering because of compaction and added more perlite. Coco doesn't like to be disturbed and if your making creators in the pot is very bad roots need O2 but not open holes of air. If you bottom water you only need an 1 of water and it will suck it up without compaction. When I screw up and have more plants than flood tables I put them in Pots with plastic liners and then figure how much they need and use a qt. jar to water is better for plant and no compaction. If you must top water get the very courses coco latterly chunks and use them just on the top inch or so of your pot this will prevent the creator problem and a bunch of other problems. And canazyme should be small doses over and extended time

Last edited:
Tropicanna

Tropicanna

This is exactly the comparison I was looking for, you've said it bro. The frequency of watering tells a lot about the drainage! Thanks! I've also noticed the same thing with using pure coco.

im almost done with my first coco run, straight canna. i find it needs to be watered just a little less than my 2 runs with ffof. i will deff be adding 25-30% perlite next time id like to hand water daily or maybe only 1 or 2 dry days a week, with the pure canna its only 2/3 times a week that i get to water. besides some early cal-mag problems id say coco is easier than i had thought it would be
hat

Tropicanna

Tropicanna

Wisher619 are you saying we should not let the coco dry out before watering? You mean it should be always kept wet?

are you letting your coco dry out???if so then I can see the solution just sitting on top......coco should be watered constantly like I water 2 times a day to 15-20% run off....at 100% saturation rate coco still holds about 30% oxygen....which means that you could literally run solution through all day and never have a problem
I have used pure coco and many ratio's there of including peat and have never had a problem with standing water or drainage
Just my experience

Wisher619

Wisher619

Wisher619 are you saying we should not let the coco dry out before watering? You mean it should be always kept wet?
that is exactly what I am saying

With my mother plants I actually sit them in cut trays and fill the tray up with about 1.5" of nutrient solution and I dont water again until the solution dries up....about 3-4 days

I also do the same with my seedling

Wisher619

Wisher619

seedlings sitting in soultion 100% saturation 100% of the time

Roots

Top Bottom