Coco Coir drainage

• Thread starter justiceman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
justiceman

justiceman

Hey everyone I am fairly new to coco and I am interested growing my girls in straight coco next time around. I have heard that coco has pretty good drainage. Does it have enough drainage so that it would be unnecessary to amended it with perlite or coco croutons? I have seen that some people add perlite when doing ebb and flow, or drip system, ect. I however will probably just be doing a top feed and I would hate for the coco to dry out to fast If i amended it with perlite or croutons.

Rootbound

Rootbound

Supporter
Sounds like coco coir is what you are looking for. I use straight Bcuzz coco coir. I will cut it with perlite if I want to speed up dry cycles in colder temps. Get you a good ph meter and you should be fine. RB

J

Jalisco Kid

I would add the croutons or hydroton to keep it from compacting. I find most coirs too pithy for good aeration. JK

wambam123

wambam123

i just go 3 hand fulls of coco 1 hand full of perlite. when you top feed and the water gathers on the top and drains down. if the water that gathers on the top for a minute bubbles your onto a winner.

S

southpaw

B'Cuzz Bounce is the chunky version with very little pith. You don't need to add perlite or anything as it's cation exchange is faster than pith grade coir. This will increase rapid root growth.

Big fat happy root balls = Big fat happy buds :rauch08:

sp

justiceman

justiceman

So I have been doing some research guys. By the way thanks for all of your comments as they were quite helpful. I have found that there exist people that use 100%coir and people that even use 50/50 coir/perlite depending on the coco type. I don't want my Canna coco to dry out too fast, but I also don't want to have it stay wet for too long. So my plan is to have a mix of either 70% Canna coco and 30% perlite or 75% Canna coco and 25% perlite. I would rather Have to water too often then wait too long for a dry period so I will definitely be adding perlite. I am considering coco croutons but I am unsure If they work as well as perlite.

J

JOESTEEL

what is your farmers water ph level when you water? and what is your guys ph in the run off? i use Root organics cocco and it comes out way highr in the run off what about the b cuuzz?

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
By Top feed do you mean drippers or hand feed?

Lowman

Lowman

I like mixing a couple of different things into my coco. First I like a base of about 70% coco chips...and the remaining 25% is coco coir, perlite and Napa part# 8822(I think) oil-dri.

You can't go wrong with coco chips or chunks.

B

boroboro

what is your farmers water ph level when you water? and what is your guys ph in the run off? i use Root organics cocco and it comes out way highr in the run off what about the b cuuzz?

I've been watering #2 Smart Pots of a coco fiber / crouton mix once daily, just until runoff. Runoff ph is pretty close to the ~6.0 ph I'm feeding them (G.H. micro 6ml/gal + bloom 9ml/gal).

The plants can go longer without completely drying out the coco, but it seems that when I go longer between waterings there is more variation in runoff ph and ppms, and more chance of unhappy plants.

R

Rob1

i have a question i use coco coir mixed with perlite and when i hand water the water runs out the bottom really fast. did i use to much perlite or does the coco just have this good of drainage?

justiceman

justiceman

i have a question i use coco coir mixed with perlite and when i hand water the water runs out the bottom really fast. did i use to much perlite or does the coco just have this good of drainage?

I have found that even pure coco coir has excellent drainage compared to normal soil so that definitely sounds normal to me.

Put equal parts of soil and coco into separate cups. Drench the cups with water as much as you can. You will find that the soil eventually becomes water logged and the water level starts to raise and come up over the top of the cup. The coco coir simply won't allow that to happen because it drains so well so the water just keeps rushing out of the bottom and mind you this is without added perlite. So when you add perlite you increase the drainage even more. It's not a bad thing. More oxygen to the root zone always means higher yields IMHO. It just means you have to water more often. Some like that and some don't

R

robbiedublu

I use straight canna coco and have never had any issues with drainage or root growth. If Jalisco Kid says it's better with some croutons mixed in i'm gonna try it though. He usually seems to know what he's talking about.

smokey79

smokey79

So how should one hand-water/feed coco without flooding the place???

B

BigEasy

I use 11L pots with Roots Organic coco and mix in about 3 hands full of perlite. Hand water every other day and they seem to love it. -Easy

420Gator

420Gator

im almost done with my first coco run, straight canna. i find it needs to be watered just a little less than my 2 runs with ffof. i will deff be adding 25-30% perlite next time id like to hand water daily or maybe only 1 or 2 dry days a week, with the pure canna its only 2/3 times a week that i get to water. besides some early cal-mag problems id say coco is easier than i had thought it would be

smokey79

smokey79

i am use in canna plus with the full canna range with a 30/70ish perlite mix they waterd every other day and are lookin sexy jus hit 12/12, anyone any tips on how a can stop floding the place everytime a water to run off cum bak ten l8r and tent flooded??? would like about 20% ROff?
hope i am no breakin any rulz
peace

budboy299

budboy299

Not breaking any rules Smokey79, I find with any medium that uses chemical nutrients, you must water to runoff. Personally I do almost 50% runoff because I make my own nutes so it is literally pennies.

Chemical nutes are very much simply salts in the water. If you fertilize with no runoff, there will always be evaporation of the water leaving it slightly saltier each time. Eventually it may rise to toxic levels. The less amount of runoff you have, the closer you have to monitor how much salt buildup you have in your medium.

I had some plants in soil with about 20% perlite. (this was when I was first starting out) I fed a max of 1.3EC throughout with about a 5-10% runoff.
never bothered checking the runoff EC till the flush.
I flushed that first plant out and checked and the EC was 2.8 Luckily it is a very tolerant plant. I flushed it thoroughly with plain water till the runoff was very low and gave it an extra week to allow the internal nutrients to lessen.
smoke was still very good but later I realized that the smoke could have been amazing if I had only paid attention.

Gotta get some sort of drain pan in the tent and test runoff occasionally. Some will say runoff EC will not matter but if you are putting in 1.3 and getting out 2.8, you know that the growing medium is pretty darn hot!

M

mulehunter

Sounds like coco coir is what you are looking for. I use straight Bcuzz coco coir. I will cut it with perlite if I want to speed up dry cycles in colder temps. Get you a good ph meter and you should be fine. RB
ever have problems with drainage due to root ball to big Nutrients sit on top of rootball for 45 minutes?is that a good thing or a bad thing

Top Bottom