Coco Coir Ph Out Of Whack... Please Help

• Thread starter Rickroy420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Rickroy420

Rickroy420

I just transplanted from a solo cup to a half gallon/maybe full gallon pot. I had previously soaked the Coco coir (premixed from bushdoctor) in tap water balanced out to a pH of 5.8 and gh calmag for 2 hours. This was yesterday evening jun 24, 2017. I wake up check the soil pH and in every spot it's reading 7-8! But my plant doesn't seem too show any negative signs.. my questions would be how can I balance the coco coir out? Where did I go wrong? Does my plant look healthy? Sorry for the crappy phone pics!

Coco coir ph out of whack please help
Coco coir ph out of whack please help 2
Coco coir ph out of whack please help 3
Coco coir ph out of whack please help 4
B

brimck325

i never checked ph of coco, only the nutes i put into it. i check run off ppm when i first charge it to make sure it doesn't have salt built up, but not the run off ph. plant looks little stressed, leave it alone, stop staring at it…KISS

Rickroy420

Rickroy420

I rinsed the hell out of the coco, soaked it and everything. I heard about leaving the coco pH alone. But won't that mess with my plant? Yea she just went to sleep so I won't be looking at her untill 2 pm. I think the transplant went well but I tried to balance the soil. At least I didn't forget to calmag the soil like I did with the solo cup. Thanks for your advice!

B

brimck325

do u have a ec/ppm meter?
if so what ppm are u feeding?

S

Sherlock

First, if your plant still shows no signs of any stress, don't try too hard to fix something that's potentially not broken. However, a few steps should clear this up for you.

-Get a pH/EC/ppm pen, those probe meters even in soil often give little information that is useful. Coco is also not a medium to mess around with when it comes to pH, you need to be as accurate as possible with this. Mix your solution, pH to about 6.0, feed, and go from there.

-If you feel you have pH issues inside the medium already you can quickly correct this by doing a "flush" or I just call it a feed with about three times as much volume as you usually would. Let it all drain out well and you should have replaced the old nutrients in the medium with the new batch.

-Finally if you still want to test the medium, the only way to do this in coco is by slurry. Taking some of the coco from your pot and making a slurry, testing pH of the slurry (again with that pen you need!!). You can look up specifics on this but I honestly never do this myself so I will let another with experience explain the details.

-One more thing, don't let that coco dry out, you wont experience nearly the amount of pH and nutrient lock problems in coco if it stays wet!

Sherlock

MW7945

MW7945

I'm using mother earth coco and it's super clean. Never tested the ph of the coco, only the water going in @ 5.8. I'm 5 weeks in and don't seem to have any pH problems. Definitely want a ppm meter though, they're not very expensive. I just use the one that came with my Zero Water filter. I feed @ 500 ppm.

Top Bottom