Coco in less than 3 gal. containers

• Thread starter Jack Dupp
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Wbwidow

Wbwidow

Last time I was running coco it was SOG using 1gal containers. Feed via handwater from top 1x/day, OR I could flood the trays for a couple of hours. All drain-to-waste at that time, no recirculating reservoir. Coir is cut with rice hulls instead of perlite, pre-rinsed and charged with high level of Ca & Mg, low level of NPK.

When running a SOG like this it's REALLY important not to wait too long to flip. No taller than 12", no more than 2wks veg once transplanted & flipped.
I'm definately looking foward to running my set up like this with coco in 1 gallons. Just have to find my moms

Unit541

Unit541

This...
I run 50/50 coco/hydro and a little perlite.
1 gal cloth pots for veg and sexing-hand watered every other day
2 gal cloth pots for flower -top drip, dtw, fed 3 times a day(daytime only) for 1 min every 4 hrs.
Next run I may add 1 more feed to keep the outside of the cloth pot more moist

I am having tremendous results with this exact approach. 1 gals for veging, into 2 gals for flower. Honestly I can't imagine bothering with anything over the 2 gal cloth pots. I am also feeding 1min 3 times per light cycle. One difference, is I am also feeding one time for 2 minutes during the dark period, but it's only CalMag and R/O at night.

freegrow

freegrow

Premium Member
Supporter
hay farmers what up jack
media is cocogro from botanicare loose fiber 50/50 coco perilite big and chuncky
VEG first 2 pics
4x4 tray fed for 30 min. at lights on +600w M/H+ 16 " osc. fan+ 6000 btu a/c +air stones
NUTES PPM 500 ph 5.8
Lucas variant of 6/2/7 + silica blast 2.5 per gallon + superthrive 3.5 mil to 15 gallon mix
res is 32 gallon all nutes are mixed for 15 gallon ratio also added is H202 60 mil to 32 gal. and 3 mil fish tank algae control res is boosted back to 32 gal. after 1 week then after second week res is cleaned and filled again

FLOWER #1 pics 3 and 4
4x4 ebb and flow fed 30 min. at lights on and at half way point of lights on +600w HPS 16 " fan 12000 btu portable a/c + air stones
NUTES PPM 500 ph 6.0
Lucas 6/8 maxi bloom .6 mil mix for 15 gallon H202 60 mil. to 32 gal. 3 mil. algae control

Flower #2 pic 5
same as above
NUTES PPM 500 ph 6.0 +air stones
Lucas 6/9 at 15 gal.+ kool bloom 22 grams H202 60 mil.

Veg 1280x960

Veg 2 1280x960
Flower 1  1280x960
Flower1 1280x960
Flower all 1280x960
097 1280x960

peace and love auto feed
freegrow

DesiretheFire

DesiretheFire

Those are very nice roots you have there in those plastic pots!

But root pots are designed to prevent roots from spiraling and staying on the outside of the soil.

Ive seen many side by side comparisons where plastic and smart pots are grown side by side. Smart pots win every time.

vangs

vangs

Thanks for all the replies.

I'm thinking more and more to run 4x4 tables, and drip systems in coco mixed with rice hulls. DTW.

Right now I have plants in 5x5 square pots in 100% coco with about an inch of hydrotron in the bottom. Hand watering.
what kind of results have you been getting?

2gal pots, 100%coco or 80/20, hand watering. 20-25 plants per 1k. avg yield was about 26-30 grams a plant. i had a really nice LA CON pheno that didnt strech a lot. would veg to 15in and end up with 24 by the end.. if they didnt get so dense and fat i woulda used 1gal and sqeezed more in but i didnt want to get bud rot or mold due to lack of air circulation.

Kushwick

Kushwick

2gal pots, 100%coco or 80/20, hand watering. 20-25 plants per 1k. avg yield was about 26-30 grams a plant. i had a really nice LA CON pheno that didnt strech a lot. would veg to 15in and end up with 24 by the end.. if they didnt get so dense and fat i woulda used 1gal and sqeezed more in but i didnt want to get bud rot or mold due to lack of air circulation.
Ill be more than happy with results like that. Thinking of doing 1 gallon airpots in a 4x4 tent under a 600. Soon ill go to the 1k but if I can pull similar numbers with the 600 for now ill be glad.

vangs

vangs

Ill be more than happy with results like that. Thinking of doing 1 gallon airpots in a 4x4 tent under a 600. Soon ill go to the 1k but if I can pull similar numbers with the 600 for now ill be glad.

honestly the plants are small bro, they dont require as much light as you think.. your better off using the 1k and filling up the whole 5x5 space... ive done trials with 4x4 and with 5x5 and honestly the plants in the 4x4 are the same and the plants on the outside perimeter when filling up a 5x5 were yielding consistantly about 21-24grams each.. 2 1k bulbs give more square footage than 3 600w . and ive grown with 600w some trials ive gotten same results but the bud was airy and fluffy, foxtails, put it this way, night and diffrence in density. anyone will tell you. 1k all day... if heat is an issue then i could see why.. but just givin my 2 cents, I've tryd this sog setup for 3 years. only reason i stoped was cuz im biulding a larger setup but ill be doing sog again.

never tried smart pots in a SOG setup, i was going to but someone who i respect their opinions a lot said that since the plants are small and only in a 1gal pot that it wont make a diffrence. so i listened and got reg pots. i always did wonder thou.. if you try the smart pots im deff gunna see how you end up doing. just do a grow with reg pots too so you can compare..

only thing that sucks is watering them, well if u water by hand. yeah theres no better way but fuck man. it gets aggrivating sometimes. esp if your a fat dude like me. you aint tryna bend foward and twist your body so your arm can reach that little plant in the corner that didnt get watered last time either lol.. i recommend drips or something else..

and just something i want to share incase it turns out helping you out... when i first started growing sog, it actually was when i first started growing so i didnt know what nutes to use, going back and fourth.. i didnt want to do a whole grow and record my results every week with every single nute line that i wanted to use, soo i bought those flood and drain slabs, their plastic, same material as 4x4 tables, but their 1x4, i would use 4 of those or 5 of those and basiclly put 5 2g pots in each one and put them side by side. and id have a 5gal bucket with pump,stones,etc and used drip system. and each 1x4 would have its own 5gal resivior instead of sharing 1 30gal or 55gal. and with that, each 5gal bucket had a difrent nute line, and with 1 grow i was able to compare all 5 nute companies that i could choose from.. i think back then it was either AN or H&G OR DM, idk fuck it.... but yeah maybe you have your nutes figured out, just givin you my expeirence and 2cents... what ever you decide let me know, ill tune in to see your grow... best of luck

Kushwick

Kushwick

honestly the plants are small bro, they dont require as much light as you think.. your better off using the 1k and filling up the whole 5x5 space... ive done trials with 4x4 and with 5x5 and honestly the plants in the 4x4 are the same and the plants on the outside perimeter when filling up a 5x5 were yielding consistantly about 21-24grams each.. 2 1k bulbs give more square footage than 3 600w . and ive grown with 600w some trials ive gotten same results but the bud was airy and fluffy, foxtails, put it this way, night and diffrence in density. anyone will tell you. 1k all day... if heat is an issue then i could see why.. but just givin my 2 cents, I've tryd this sog setup for 3 years. only reason i stoped was cuz im biulding a larger setup but ill be doing sog again.

never tried smart pots in a SOG setup, i was going to but someone who i respect their opinions a lot said that since the plants are small and only in a 1gal pot that it wont make a diffrence. so i listened and got reg pots. i always did wonder thou.. if you try the smart pots im deff gunna see how you end up doing. just do a grow with reg pots too so you can compare..

only thing that sucks is watering them, well if u water by hand. yeah theres no better way but fuck man. it gets aggrivating sometimes. esp if your a fat dude like me. you aint tryna bend foward and twist your body so your arm can reach that little plant in the corner that didnt get watered last time either lol.. i recommend drips or something else..

and just something i want to share incase it turns out helping you out... when i first started growing sog, it actually was when i first started growing so i didnt know what nutes to use, going back and fourth.. i didnt want to do a whole grow and record my results every week with every single nute line that i wanted to use, soo i bought those flood and drain slabs, their plastic, same material as 4x4 tables, but their 1x4, i would use 4 of those or 5 of those and basiclly put 5 2g pots in each one and put them side by side. and id have a 5gal bucket with pump,stones,etc and used drip system. and each 1x4 would have its own 5gal resivior instead of sharing 1 30gal or 55gal. and with that, each 5gal bucket had a difrent nute line, and with 1 grow i was able to compare all 5 nute companies that i could choose from.. i think back then it was either AN or H&G OR DM, idk fuck it.... but yeah maybe you have your nutes figured out, just givin you my expeirence and 2cents... what ever you decide let me know, ill tune in to see your grow... best of luck
thanks for the words of wisdom and encouragement. The issue right now is heat and since summer will play a big role I'm going to have to tuff it out with the 600 but once fall comes I'm looking into the 1k. I'm just waiting on a better camera but I just popped a pack of tres sisters and 818 headbands so those will be the strains being grown

vangs

vangs

thanks for the words of wisdom and encouragement. The issue right now is heat and since summer will play a big role I'm going to have to tuff it out with the 600 but once fall comes I'm looking into the 1k. I'm just waiting on a better camera but I just popped a pack of tres sisters and 818 headbands so those will be the strains being grown
i was going to say unless you have heat restrictions. go figure.. and are you running the 818 headband from cali connection?

Kushwick

Kushwick

i was going to say unless you have heat restrictions. go figure.. and are you running the 818 headband from cali connection?
Yes the summer is going to be a problem with heat. I have a window a/c I'm going to use thru the summer but after that ill be strapping up the 1k.

Yes the 818 headband is from cali conn. I wanted to grow something either og or sour with the tre sisters and sour og is both of those lol.

Jack Dupp

Jack Dupp

Today starts week 6 of my 4 x4 tent grow with a 6oow HPS. Running half-gallon 5"x5" rigid pots with 100% coco and hydrotron on bottom. I hand water every day, and am doing a side by side with canna and Botanicare, running 4 strains SOG.

The plants look way healthier with watering every day than every 2-3 days with 3 gal pots.

Heres a link to my grow journal about it. https://www.thcfarmer.com/community/threads/critical-jack-blackwater-chocolope-and-silvertip.55833/

One Flip

One Flip

Top Bottom