Coco in smart pots....what size?

• Thread starter CelticEBE
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
CelticEBE

CelticEBE

So, like the title says, for you Coco tree growing types. What size pots are you running? I run a coco/perlite at 70/30 and I THINK I am having some issues with plants drying up to fast. My current run I am using 15 gallon yield pots (similar to smart pots). I'm starting to think I may need 20 gallons for the girls that are getting hit with 3k and 30 gallons for the girls getting hit with 4k.

My other option is to feed more than once a day, which shouldn't be to hard for me to set up, but I would like to just feed once a day when the lights come on. I should also mention that I am drain to waste, and that I mix up my nutes before each feeding.

I'm still not ready to go down the RDWC road, though it is very tempting. I'd like to have enough saved up where a lost crop won't put me out on the streets before I try something of that nature.

J

Jalisco Kid

Feeding your girls in 20 gal to 30 gal more often will give you a better root zone and bigger plant. I used a few cycles ago for an apprentice who lacked confidence to run my sys while I was gone. I hooked up a dtw(I hate this system) a 20 gal brute trash can. I also put in bioballs Bought 1000's of them. I used a min 100 1.5" bio balls up to 250 per can. I also pumped in air into the root zone. He hit 2.4 avg per plant. 70-30 chow was the medium. plants were HA kush, my bp and 2 angel tear kush.
I would also mix your nutes a day before to settle down any pH shifting from your nutes. JK

J

Jalisco Kid

Feeding your girls in 20 gal to 30 gal more often will give you a better root zone and bigger plant. I used a few cycles ago for an apprentice who lacked confidence to run my sys while I was gone. I hooked up a dtw(I hate this system) a 20 gal brute trash can. I also put in bioballs Bought 1000's of them. I used a min 100 1.5" bio balls up to 250 per can. I also pumped in air into the root zone. He hit 2.4 avg per plant. 70-30 chow was the medium. plants were HA kush, my bp and 2 angel tear kush.
I would also mix your nutes a day before to settle down any pH shifting from your nutes. JK

CelticEBE

CelticEBE

Why do you hate dtw JK?

J

Jalisco Kid

I am a tree hugger but that is no excuse to not run one. Some doing drain to waste use a lot which is a waste but no more then me dumping my rez every 4 days. I know what is going on in my room by looking at how much the girls drank overnight and what kind of ppm drop I am seeing. I can see some thinking it is an idiot proof way of feeding but the grower is not growing. Running a rdwc and fearing it is just like a kid not wanting to get rid of his training wheels on his bike. Rdwc sys are ran in the tropics outdoors,with tropical heat,fungus.bugs and other bad things to deal with. JK
But I too have cried from something seriously damaging my roots. either way make sure you have the equipment/chems to fix what ever problem you run into before you start. I feel everyone should hang out first in the infirmary and be able to diagnose and know how to cure the problem.

DO IT

DO IT

I run #7 smart pots with basement mix and feed 15min twice a day in veg when they are smaller and go to once a day for 15min in bloom when they are bigger. i run a recirc system and change out once every 6 days. tree's finish 5-6ft @ 2 per 1k.

Amber

Amber

I like the 30 over the 20 especially for clones over seeds they are the same height really just a bit fatter.

Chrondondalae

Chrondondalae

Personally I prefer to water more often in a smaller pot than less in a bigger pot. Plants freakin explode and yield is higher in my experience. I've averaged 2.25 in 10 gal smarties, have yet to do that in 20's.

J

Jalisco Kid

Personally I prefer to water more often in a smaller pot than less in a bigger pot. Plants freakin explode and yield is higher in my experience. I've averaged 2.25 in 10 gal smarties, have yet to do that in 20's.

Did you start to stimulate your roots in early veg? I bought about 12 10 gal. and 18 20 gal brute trash cans. I noticed the plants who ended up the baddest were the ones who were root bound looking early in veg. I had 2 10 gal that produced as well as any 20gal But I had a higher % in the 20 gal. If plant count was not so important I would probably learn to dial in the 10's as they were adequate. As a grower I believe in safety in numbers,my attorney not so much. JK

Chrondondalae

Chrondondalae

I think part of it has to do with the 10's being filled with roots early and they could handle higher ppm's. I kept the same feed cycle with the 20's and I think the plants just weren't using enough of the nutes and they were building up more. I think if I were to tweak things a little and work the ec up more slowly in the 20's I would have better results. I've always been a believer in bigger pots but my best yields have been in smaller pots, never planned though. That pic in my avatar is a 5 gallon grow bag lol. One of my timers was coming on during the dark cycle the first two weeks of flower un beknown to me. Plants got an extra two weeks of veg before I figured it out. I got rid of 30% of the plants due to space and ended up with trees in 5 galleys which I would never plan, 3 plants per every 2 lights. It is still my best yield to date. Changed my perception a lot.

I'm with you on the #'s. I always keep it under a certain # no matter how many patients I have. I used to do 4 plants per light, now I do 1. Takes a little more planning but my final #'s are about the same give or take, minus the mandatory bs.

CelticEBE

CelticEBE

I think part of it has to do with the 10's being filled with roots early and they could handle higher ppm's. I kept the same feed cycle with the 20's and I think the plants just weren't using enough of the nutes and they were building up more. I think if I were to tweak things a little and work the ec up more slowly in the 20's I would have better results. I've always been a believer in bigger pots but my best yields have been in smaller pots, never planned though. That pic in my avatar is a 5 gallon grow bag lol. One of my timers was coming on during the dark cycle the first two weeks of flower un beknown to me. Plants got an extra two weeks of veg before I figured it out. I got rid of 30% of the plants due to space and ended up with trees in 5 galleys which I would never plan, 3 plants per every 2 lights. It is still my best yield to date. Changed my perception a lot.

I'm with you on the #'s. I always keep it under a certain # no matter how many patients I have. I used to do 4 plants per light, now I do 1. Takes a little more planning but my final #'s are about the same give or take, minus the mandatory bs.

This makes total sense to me now. I was trying to wrap my head around post #14 and now I totally get it. Thanks Chron!!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom