Coco Kush...problems..?

• Thread starter Josey_Wales
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

Josey_Wales

Hi all,
I recently added a pack of Coco Kush beans to our garden and I was wondering if anyone else is working this strain..? My plants are all retarded and have serious stability issues.
I've been buying many of the new crosses offered by various breeders from several respected seed banks and online retailers over the past year or so...just to see what people are working on. Unfortunately, I'm noticing similar issues allot lately with many of the "so called" new crosses.
Seems like maybe some of the breeders out there are throwing strains together and pushing their wares without doing the real work involved in successfully bringing forth solid new crosses. I dunno...maybe I'm old fashioned...or maybe I'm just old..!
Anyone else out there finding these BS fly by night crosses that suck..?

Hawke

S

stone69

My plants are all retarded and have serious stability issues.

That's funny shit!..lol..lol
Sorry but no... I'm sure one of the many fine farmer's here can help.
Good luck Josey

ps... "are you gonna pull them pistol's... or just whistle Dixie?"

I

inheritwind

i can assure you what you are seeing here is not the result of somebody throwing random strains together. these beans are the offspring of a couple of lines established over decades of careful selection by their breeder, who actually seems to have selected for some of these traits you're seeing. these lines were seemingly meant to be, and meant to be woven together. the blueberry and flo family tree has been carefully guided, not forced.
cocoa kush and probably anything else you can buy from dj is liable to give you some mutants. You'll find that they tend to normalize as the plant matures and you can probably expect a some plants with slower vegging.
the mutant side of the genepool involved imparts a lot of character - both in looks and quality of the high. the terpene profiles and consequent aromas also seem to go to new places, so to speak. fertile mutant males from these lines are likely to impart a special spark in their offspring if breeding is your thing.
cloning them may be a chore. yield may be lower. but imo you are sitting on gold, great head stash for a kind head.

please do not cull these plants - you will have truly unique weed.

bodhi seeds

bodhi seeds

welcome to the dj short twilight zone:smiley_joint:

B

bigbag

dj's work is riddled with mutations and brittle plants

R

Resin.Burner

hi Josey,

My plants are all retarded and have serious stability issues.

with these seeds..don't worry about mutated plants..slow ass vegers..wierd growths..grow them on..take the time to veg' up these babies..and maybe in the end you will find out that the plant you're in love with is the one who was the smaller and wierder looking of the batch...lol

RB

I

inheritwind

everybody wants to see these succeed, josey.

you got any pics by chance?

E

Elevator Man

Hey Josey - how's it going? Was wondering what the 'stability' issues were? Do you mean hermies? I got some serious leaf mutation on one of my other CK phenos throughout growth, and the keeper pheno does it at early veg and then grows out of it. But I haven't noticed any other anomalies like hermie traits - seems very stable in that regard.

Pics would be great...:)

M

Married2Mary

Premium Member
Supporter
Must be your first time growing DJ's gear.. Listen to what people are tellin you.. I've had some mutants that grew out of the leaf crinkle thing that had serious resin profile.. And the flavor..

J

Josey_Wales

Wow...
Thanks everyone for your input. I appreciate it dearly. I have DJ's original Blueberry strain...the one he lost both parents too in 2000..."or so the story goes". It is the best Blueberry strain I've ever seen by far. It is brittle too..! Snapped off a huge branch on a girl just the other day as I passed through the greenhouse a little too fast. It's very high up on my top five keeper list...like number one or two..!
I have kept the Coco Kush "tweeker" plant going. I thought it may be a male at first but now I am leaning towards female. I'm 6'1" tall and she just broke out above my head the other day. She is easily 6 1/2 feet tall now. The strange leaf disfigurement has continued throughout her grow. There are normal looking laterals coming off of her here and there as well. I plan to up pot her, top her and take a few clones by the end of the week. After she recovers and gives me some new cola sites I will put her into flower and finish her off.
I get exhausted easily and it's usually all I can do to keep my garden in order, but I will try to take some pics for those of you who have inquired. I'll try to keep it going through flower as well...please be patient...and sorry for the extended delay in responding to your inquiries. There is just too darn much to do around here in the summer time and it usually leaves me far too tired to check in with my fellow "Farmers"

Thanks again everyone,

JW

FlaTransplant

FlaTransplant

I'm gonna guess that you never got around to taking those pics? lol
I'm growing some Cocoa Kush fems now and they are very tight on the nodes but REALLY tiny! leaves are a bit paler too but I'm leary of jumping the nutes up on it too quick and burn the crap outta it... anyways..

Didn't want to highjack your thread, lol. Just wanted to see how this turned out for ya.

Peace

D

Dubwobble

UH, I've had 100% success rate with DJ Shorts gear.

I'm doing his Blueberry and Cocoa Kush. All popped, all look good.
No stability issues, at least not yet...

No idea what you mean by "brittle" plants. Sounds like you are burning your plants and blaming it on the genetics. If a plant is brittle it needs more auxins, the plants should be relatively pliable and easy to move around.

tokerfriendly

tokerfriendly

growin cocoa kush as well

growin cocoa kush here as well... some soil some deep water culture.... mine are clones but my buddy has the mother. Ive seen the finished product in person though and its well worth the wait!:sun

Blaze

Blaze

No idea what you mean by "brittle" plants. Sounds like you are burning your plants and blaming it on the genetics. If a plant is brittle it needs more auxins, the plants should be relatively pliable and easy to move around.

What he means is that the branches break and bend VERY easily. I've been doing DJ's gear for several years now and with many of them, if you so much as brush a branch the wrong way it will pop off at the base where it connects to the main stem. This is especially true if you are doing them outside or in a greenhouse and they have the room to get really big. If you are growing them indoor and not getting them very big this is probably not an issue. It has nothing to due with auxins or nutrients it is just a genetic quark of certain strains.

I do like DJ's gear, but they are a pain in the ass the grow in many respects, and everything but the Grape Krush is pretty unstable and prone to mutation.

D

Dubwobble

Oh I see, kinda like a celery stalk "snap" brittle... the Larry clone I used to have did that.

When I would clone off her I had to be careful because if I even so much as brushed the side of a rooted clone to remove the one next to it, it would "snap" and break right in the rockwool.

Didn't know it was a genetic thing.

H

hotrod68

Post this over at opengrow and ask eskobar he's the breeder, very open and up front about how he does things as is all of the breeders there. He might be able to give you some insight.

HR68

Z

zoeronerer

Post this over at opengrow and ask eskobar he's the breeder, very open and up front about how he does things as is all of the breeders there. He might be able to give you some insight.

HR68

esco bred the choc rain which has coco kush innit...

so a little different.

someone said dj's thai's wer treated with culchasine to make mutations ... the crinkle could be a result of that ..

but ye mutant leaf crinkle in da hous ....

Latest posts

Top Bottom