Coco Mixed With Perlite Or Not?

• Thread starter Rootbound
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Skunked

Skunked

Like as in my organic soil, I use rock dust kelp meal humus ewc etc etc I let sit for atleast two months tho and then start my plants which then don make it to the hot hopefully not hot anymore soil for another month or so...I feed teas. Haven't had to use any nutrients although I'm doin some testing in a GooHead now and am feeding some nutes.

Definitely going to have to look into this coir though, anything to speed up a healthy veg process is a go to in my book.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Like as in my organic soil, I use rock dust kelp meal humus ewc etc etc I let sit for atleast two months tho and then start my plants which then don make it to the hot hopefully not hot anymore soil for another month or so...I feed teas. Haven't had to use any nutrients although I'm doin some testing in a GooHead now and am feeding some nutes.

Definitely going to have to look into this coir though, anything to speed up a healthy veg process is a go to in my book.

then you will love coir. There are a few farmer here killing it in coir.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Coir is very fast in growth! But like sea said, things happen fast in coir. Deficiencies happen quicker and also correcting them seems quicker. I keep a close eye on my PH in coir, usually any problems I run into ph related.
Ding ding dingaling! I'm putting bells on this. I will only add that the other half of coir problems I see are usually related to insufficient Ca.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Ding ding dingaling! I'm putting bells on this. I will only add that the other half of coir problems I see are usually related to insufficient Ca.
Ding Ding dingaling you frikkn crack me up SM. Just did 2 good pulls of HH's Sdubb x querkle and I was rolling.... your comment just took me to another level. Good to see you and hubby are ok. :D

Reebs

Reebs

has anyone done side by sides with pre mixed bags of coco and just brick coco with no perlite?

coco is the new thing here in CO, but i've seen such a range of actual coco in the pots/bags.

some i see just straight coco, and then some (like myself) use pre washed pre mixed coco, i use the "Coco Loco" i tried a few but they were all mixed up already. never tried the straight coco, and my stuff is like alot of perlite, like i at first thought it could have been a mistake on the bagging/mixture process lol

anyways, i ask because in my buddies gardens i see regularly, i notice when they are smaller they dont look very healthy, to me i always thought from my own expirience that it was (Not enough air to the root zone, thus causing nute lock outs, thus causing yellow bottom leaves and no praying leaves) but all the larger plans look fine i guess.

one thing i have noticed, and this could be nutrient recipe aswell but everyone who uses straight coco has huge plants, but they dont produce pretty smelly buds, just ALOT of decent generic buds. and i'm all about the full package, look, smell, feel, smoke, effect.. i'm all about the detail

i just recently finished making the complete switch from ebb & Flow tables to coco, and so far its easier but i'm not getting the same growth as before and to be honest the type of coco i use has been a question in my mind as i first bought "Coco Loco" cuz i got it for like 14 a bag and the dud eon the bag is kool.

Skunked

Skunked

coco tho hmmmph idk I'm reading about it myself and seems coco is almost in sense self aerated...although I've read about 50/50 mixes with perlite so I'm sure what you have is perfectly normal..I can't really see the addition of perlite helping produce better smelling buds tho man, I feel like that's all grower error, or a learning process...Straight coco not producing perfect buds tho man....I couldn't tell ya, are these people feeding?

CelticEBE

CelticEBE

has anyone done side by sides with pre mixed bags of coco and just brick coco with no perlite?

coco is the new thing here in CO, but i've seen such a range of actual coco in the pots/bags.

some i see just straight coco, and then some (like myself) use pre washed pre mixed coco, i use the "Coco Loco" i tried a few but they were all mixed up already. never tried the straight coco, and my stuff is like alot of perlite, like i at first thought it could have been a mistake on the bagging/mixture process lol

anyways, i ask because in my buddies gardens i see regularly, i notice when they are smaller they dont look very healthy, to me i always thought from my own expirience that it was (Not enough air to the root zone, thus causing nute lock outs, thus causing yellow bottom leaves and no praying leaves) but all the larger plans look fine i guess.

one thing i have noticed, and this could be nutrient recipe aswell but everyone who uses straight coco has huge plants, but they dont produce pretty smelly buds, just ALOT of decent generic buds. and i'm all about the full package, look, smell, feel, smoke, effect.. i'm all about the detail

i just recently finished making the complete switch from ebb & Flow tables to coco, and so far its easier but i'm not getting the same growth as before and to be honest the type of coco i use has been a question in my mind as i first bought "Coco Loco" cuz i got it for like 14 a bag and the dud eon the bag is kool.
While I have yet to do "flowering" side by sides, I have done some tests in Veg with a few different brands. Not all coco is created equal.....by any means.

I tend to stay away from bricks......because I don't like wasting the water to flush. I've used about 5 different brands, one of them being a premix.

Roots Organics Soilless Mix: Has a lot of amendments and Perlite, this is actually what I use after my cuts root. All I have to do for the first week is water and maybe add a root stimulator. No nutes necessary because of the amendments.

Canna Coco: This has been one of my go to's for a while now. I never really had any issues with Canna not being flushed well.

Gold Label: Same as Canna....no issues and I bought a lot of it a few years back cause some one had bought all the canna in the area that i was in. Good stuff....but a little more expensive than Canna

Royal Gold: Recently got some of this and so far I am digging it. Seemed to be flushed well and was nice and fluffy.

Nutrified: I got thrips. I know some people love it.....but if I have a bad experience with something....I tend to stay away from it.

I know people say that you don't need perlite, and that coco doesn't need to be aerated, but I have always figured the more aeration to the root zone...the better. I personally use a 60/40 Coco/Perlie mix. I have tried other ratio's and this one seems to work best for me. I've mixed in EWC to help with the bene's in the past....but got away from it. I may start adding some hydroton to my mix and move to beds at some point.

As far as the issues you see your friends have......I dunno man. Not nearly enough info to go on.

Reebs

Reebs

i use royal gold alot, it's a little more $$ than the coco loco i usually use but so far i like it just as much as coco loco.

i have the same feeling on perlite wheremore air to the root zone is better.

i've noticed in alot of gardens that use brick coco, a combination of them probably not washing it enough and also weird deffic. goin on and most buddies say oh thats normal..

my thought is that the root zone is probably starving for air everytime they feed and killing off beneficial feeder roots, thus causing weird deffic. signs

also to add to the hydroton on the bottom, that is very good practice in my opinion. i've done side by sides bags with no drainage layer on the bottom (Silica rock or hydroton) and bags with, the results are night and day for me. having the hydroton on the bottom makes a huge difference during flower, i just use 2-3 solo cups full of medium hydroton each 3 gal bag and works great, makes clearing out bags easier for some reason too

organix4207

organix4207

I'm going to be starting my first coco/hempy bucket grow in a few weeks. I've decided to go with a product called u-gro max air coco
70% fine coco 30% perlite

Top Bottom