coco packing density

• Thread starter vonwolfen
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
vonwolfen

vonwolfen

How hard do you pack your coco?.Do you pack it down as dense as possible or just throw it in the pot and leave it without adding any pressure to condense/press it down? somewhere in between?...Does useing different types of pots make a difference? ie Fabric pots(smart pots/CAP grow pots, etc.), plastic, etc.

I am going to be running a side by side(6 dense, 6 some packing, 6 throw it in and leave it fluffy..All will be Aligee's "Fire Dog") in CAP fabric grow pots to see if there is any difference in root growth, and structure, and wanted to know if someone has already done this and their results.

Cort

Cort

I await the return on the tests.

I run about 60/40 coco/clay chow mix. I fill pot, tap it down against floor, dig a hole for transplant then water in a sprinkle of coco on top. I am no pro though.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

The less dense (fluffier) your substrate (coco, peat moss, soil) is, the better. It holds more oxygen which is one factor for optimum growth.

Its already been proven densely packed substrates slow and restrict growth. (search Google for relative info if you have any doubts).

Also, if your substrate has a lack of oxygen it can increase the chance of bad bacterial growth.
Its good that you want to do a side-by-side test and figure out ways of increasing growth, but you should use your time and resources on something that will be more beneficial to you. Like I said before, a more dense substrate will result in less oxygen, which is BAD for roots, in turn, causing issues for your plants in overall health. Also, you should mix your coco with perlite to increase air porosity (oxygen). Thats just my 2 cents. Good luck!!

Ever after

Ever after

my best yields with coco have been when i just lightly fill a grow bucket and then water it and drain all the salts out and slightly sprinkle coco on the bucket till theres enough coco and i keep wetting and it and drainig it and repeating to get the right consistancy i like most some people just push it down in and pack it down thats not the best idea but it works the plants grow slightly slower for the first month or so ive noticed IF you pack it down

the way i do it also makes the plants grow roots everywhere even on top of the coco its completely roots because the lgentelness gives it more air

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

the way i do it also makes the plants grow roots everywhere even on top of the coco its completely roots because the lgentelness gives it more air

My pots full of Sunshine #4 has roots growing out the top and I did NOT pack my media at all. The more air, the better :)

Confuten1

Confuten1

exploitin strengths - perfectin weaknessess
Supporter
^^^ i do the same thing but in beds.
Confu.

Top Bottom