Coco:Perlite Ratio

• Thread starter Yndisfagur
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Y

Yndisfagur

What is a good Ratio of coco to perlite for water once a day? twice a day?

CelticEBE

CelticEBE

I used to use Roots Organics Coco Coir and I watered once a day with good success. I emailed them to find out what the mix was and they told me it was a 60/40 coco to perlite, but they have some other things in it as well.

Currently I am running a 2:1 perlite to coco, but I water more often.

Cannanugget

Cannanugget

I have tried coco with and without perlite. I really haven't seen any difference though so now I just just 100% bcuzz coco and water daily. I guess if you're looking to water more often than once a day adding perlite would be a good idea imo.

iscrog4food

iscrog4food

75 : 25 perlite : coco rocks it. I only have to water every other day in hempies. That being said I think yield improves if they are watered multiple small waterings of low ppm nutes throughout the light cycle daily.

Burnz

Burnz

75 : 25 perlite : coco rocks it. I only have to water every other day in hempies. That being said I think yield improves if they are watered multiple small waterings of low ppm nutes throughout the light cycle daily.

75% coco or perlite...?

And dont you want runoff when watering in coco to flush out the salts..? Several small waterings a day would probly get no runoff and salts would quickly build up.

W

WillytheWeed

When watering in coco you ideally need 10 percent run off not every time you water them, twice a week I water to 10% run off as this flushes the salts out from the bottom layer in the pots.

If you are concerned about drainage add some stones or old clay pebbles at the bottom of the pot then add the coco, what ever you use in the bottom of the pot are cleaned to help avoid any root infections.

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
I rock the 50/50 on tables. Watering is gonna be up to pot size.

iscrog4food

iscrog4food

75% perlite. ALso my plants run off everytime the pump turns on so the medium is nice and wet at all times and no chance for salt buildup. I run DTW and they get about 20 gallons per day split between 6 plants of H and G at 10 ml per gallon. I am still dialing in the vert method but last harvest I pulled nearly 10.5 units from 4 1000's. Not my best GPW but I was pleased for only having 6 girls and one yielded hardly over a half P.

HookedonPonics

HookedonPonics

im planning on running a 75% perlite to 25% coco ratio in 7 gallon smarts with 3 inches of perlite on top to prevent fungus gnats from getting to my coco, my question is once the plants are root bound do you think top feeding for 15 minutes 5 times a day would be over saturating the root system, there will be 32 plants per 3k bed/aisle, room is running burners, there getting a nice 4 to 5 week veg. ive only experimented with pure coco and was trying to get some feedback instead of ending up with slimey root rot. anyone whos played around with it your feeding schedule would be amazing

phenotyper

phenotyper

Currently rocking a waterfarm with a 3 gallon smart pot and 50/50 coco to perlite. Only top drip, no air stones. Sterile rez this run.

B

Blaze215

75% perlite. ALso my plants run off everytime the pump turns on so the medium is nice and wet at all times and no chance for salt buildup. I run DTW and they get about 20 gallons per day split between 6 plants of H and G at 10 ml per gallon. I am still dialing in the vert method but last harvest I pulled nearly 10.5 units from 4 1000's. Not my best GPW but I was pleased for only having 6 girls and one yielded hardly over a half P.
A picture of your set up would be much appreciated.

mango420

mango420

More perlite=more feeds per day, which =faster growth. I use about 80-90% perlite. I just ran a side by side experiment of a plant being watered 8 times a day versus one that was hand watered the same amount but only 2 times a day. The hand watered one was also under a 1000 watt and the other only 600W. In 1 week from transplant the hand watered one was half the size. After 2 weeks it wasnt even close, the hand watered one was less than half the size, a foot tall at the most, while the others were about 2.5 feet. I had to put it back on the auto water because it was just being completely overgrown by the other plants. I have run 8x feed per day in 100% coco, but i found this only brought problems as it holds much more salt and if you get a clogged dripper and your medium drys out your basically kissing that plant goodbye, as when you unclog the dripper and the medium resaturates you will get extreme nute burn. High perlite ratio is very forgiving and if it drys out theres much, much less salt waiting to be absorbed. Ive read tons of hydro threads, uc, mpb and honestly I believe I get very close to the same speed of growth in this mix with 8 feeds a day.

bloads

bloads

More perlite=more feeds per day, which =faster growth. I use about 80-90% perlite. I just ran a side by side experiment of a plant being watered 8 times a day versus one that was hand watered the same amount but only 2 times a day. The hand watered one was also under a 1000 watt and the other only 600W. In 1 week from transplant the hand watered one was half the size. After 2 weeks it wasnt even close, the hand watered one was less than half the size, a foot tall at the most, while the others were about 2.5 feet. I had to put it back on the auto water because it was just being completely overgrown by the other plants. I have run 8x feed per day in 100% coco, but i found this only brought problems as it holds much more salt and if you get a clogged dripper and your medium drys out your basically kissing that plant goodbye, as when you unclog the dripper and the medium resaturates you will get extreme nute burn. High perlite ratio is very forgiving and if it drys out theres much, much less salt waiting to be absorbed. Ive read tons of hydro threads, uc, mpb and honestly I believe I get very close to the same speed of growth in this mix with 8 feeds a day.

This post makes me want to switch to troph blumats

BC farmer

BC farmer

Hey Mango420,

Could you please elaborate on your dripper system?
I am new to Coco/Perlite and am currently vegging my girls in 100 % Coco and will ultimately be housed in 25g smartpots. On the next transplant I will be adding the perlite (1G, then 3g, then 25g).
Thank you,
BCFarmer

mango420

mango420

Ive thought about the blumats, but lots of people tell me there not very reliable and clog easy. So i figured the simple drip system is way cheaper and easier to dial in.

mango420

mango420

Bc, my drip system is very simple and cheap to set up. What size pot are u in now? I'll post up some pics of it, hopefully thats cool with the op. All you need is a pump, 1/2" poly line, spageti tubbing, drippers, digital timer with at least 8 on/off settings a day. My setup for a 700sqft room costs less than $200 and i set it up in less than 3 hours.
Flowering pump timer
Picture 283

Veg pump timer
Picture 284

Pump connected to 1/2" poly
Picture 285

Poly line running out of rez
Picture 286

Main line coming through wall, tees run for every row of plants
Picture 287

main line with tees for every row, also shut offs on all rows
Picture 288

Veg room, exactly the same setup
Picture 293

Drippers attach to poly line then run spaggeti line to plants
Picture 294

If your interested ill make a list of everything you need to make this setup.

BC farmer

BC farmer

Thank you Mango,for your input and pics, very much appreciated. Your girls look happy where they are.
As you said, straight forward and I will give it some thought.
Currently in 7'' pots, hoping to transplant in a week to 1g smartpots. Am planning on doing a grow diary once I get the building completed. Keep you posted!

Latest posts

Top Bottom