Coco Run off

• Thread starter minster
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

minster

First time growing anything, let alone in COCO - I have a quick question about run off..

I have been running a test from seed, COCO with clay pebbles mix (Gold Label Special, custom) - the seed has popped up and shown its first leaves a few days ago :)

First water top fed was with PH 5.8 / EC 0.0 (RO water)

Second water 'run off' was PH 6.1 / EC 0.9 (RO water)

can someone explain the mechanics of why the measures have changed - especially the EC?

any comments appreciated.

Minster

budboy299

budboy299

The coco and clay must have had some salts within it. If you watered with 0.0 EC water and the runoff came out higher, only place it could come from was within the substrate. Either the coco was precharged by the company or it was not flushed completely of all the salts within it.

Lots of coco comes from SriLanka etc and the sandy soil there (especially coastal) contains extremely high levels of salts. Totally depends on what brand of coco, and I have also seen it differ, even within the same brand from bale to bale.

budboy299

budboy299

I was down in the islands this last year and saw tons of coconuts growing within a hundred feet of the beach. Seeing how the soil was totally sand, you can only imagine what kind of salinity that poor seed was growing in. (didn't seem to hurting it at all though)

M

minster

I was down in the islands this last year and saw tons of coconuts growing within a hundred feet of the beach. Seeing how the soil was totally sand, you can only imagine what kind of salinity that poor seed was growing in. (didn't seem to hurting it at all though)

thanks very much budboy - I am wondering if I should give the rest of the bag a good flush before I put any more plants in it - any thoughts?

budboy299

budboy299

sure can't hurt minster. Their website says that their coco has less than .5EC

so if you are using it for the first time with 0.0 EC water and getting a runoff of .9 EC the coco must be above what they claim.

It doesn't say anything about being ammeded with anything so you can feel free to flush it heavily before putting your plants in it for the first time

M

minster

cheers budboy. I have another three bags to get. Am thinking of switching to Canna Coco now to avoid having to flush 150L. From what I am told/read it seems like the Gold Label mix is top quality but being a noob I think I will take the simplest route.

appreciate the advice, thanks mate.

M

minster

for those that are interested, I got this speedy reply from the manufacturer

"The coco is buffered with calcium nitrate.
Also we put a little nutrients in and some spore elements to give the plant a good start."

budboy299

budboy299

ahhhh sneaky buggers, but that being the case you should not need to flush it. Odd though that their website says less than .5EC out of the bag.

Just make sure you keep a close eye on them when they are little. If they start doing some weird stuff you may end up doing a slight flush afterall.

Glad you contacted them and they answered it for you.

M

minster

ahhhh sneaky buggers, but that being the case you should not need to flush it. Odd though that their website says less than .5EC out of the bag.

Just make sure you keep a close eye on them when they are little. If they start doing some weird stuff you may end up doing a slight flush afterall.

Glad you contacted them and they answered it for you.

thanks Budboy, I already hit the panic button and got Canna Coco - kinda ruins my plan of having bag seed running in front of my good beans to make mistakes on. Now a bit doubtful as when to add canna nutes to the canna stuff as I understand thier coco to be neutral....my test bag seed is in the Gold label which they saying has some preload in it....:icon_spin:

budboy299

budboy299

Well what will help is to remember that Canna Coco Nutes are about 90% Calcium Nitrate.

Seeds really do not need very much nutrition to start at all. Mix up your A and B to about .5 or .6EC for your intitial waterings.

I also find you do not need any calmag with these nutes either. Canna Coco already supplies more Calcium and Magnesium than does CalMag.

When starting your feedings keep a close eye on your babies. Do not panic when the cotyledon (the plants first leaves which are kind of oval and leathery looking) turn yellow and fall off. They are supposed to do that.
Other than those leaves, 99% of any significant yellowing is either a lack of nitrogen or a magnesium deficiency. At that point simply start nudging up the A&B until it goes away.

hope this helps a bit

M

minster

thats great info, thanks for sharing budboy - much appreciated :)

Hopefull Stoner

Hopefull Stoner

ahoy coco cultivator

well on a st run i would use a simpler medium like soil or pro mix. very forgiving.

i would also know ahead of time al the basics on how to grow. especially in the medium you will start with.

with that said if using coco 1st. time out of the gate . make sure your water is 5.5-5.8 ph to start with.
if growing from seed use a simple soil/pro mix in a cup and then transplant that into the coco.

by then the plant will be big enough to handle a nute charge in a coco mix. i would stay away from unknown stuff. and make sure your coco is buffered to make it easier on yourself and the plant.

use coco friendly nutes , don't over water, which can be done depending on the coco you do choose. check your roots to make sure they are ok and not getting drowned. easy check in a cup , and then another pretty easy check on a 2gt. - 1 gallon container. in coco those roots should take off and be easy to see in a little while. nice white roots and all is well. brown is not good.

i think that covers the basics. don't forget to keep the pot temps at a reasonable temps no lower then 60-65 at night i'd say with the lights off.

one nute that is really easy is CNS-17, one part stuff . if you can find the old formula get that shit a.s.a.p. , use less then recommended with the old formula and it will work wonders in coco, but do just as well in pro mix too.

dutch master makes a one part formula too that is suitable for coco. but have not tired it personally yet. yet they make good quality stuff.

M

minster

good info, thanks Stoner. All beans were placed in root riot cubes. All have germinated but are staying bent over. I think I may have planted them a bit deep. Tap roots were showing at the bottom and the root riot really dry. I took the decision to place them in Coco 1tr pots and give them a water.....time will tell if this was a mistake.

Temps are around 25c, falling to 21 with lights out (on T5 20/4). ph 5.8/ ec 0.0. Run off ph 5.9/EC 0.3

I gave my test seedling some nutes last night 0.25/ltr A+B and 1ml/ltr Rhiz. Seemed happy this morning.....if only my other beans would straighten out, all would be right in my world :)

smokey79

smokey79

can canna coco be over watered am day 21 of flower and had gnats, i think few weeks back gnat of naile em or so i thought as the stretch kicked in, started noticing dark patches, curling/twising leafs and a return with a vengance of these gnats, have been watering more frequenty as in flower, but cold snap and poor light penatration of canopy appears to have made my tent a breading ground for these bugs, have flushed, ph in 5.8 out 6.5 and ec in 1.6 out 1.8 this suggests healthy root system??? and roots can see are white???
I am putting potatoe skins on every night and pick em off light on, temps max 28 min 18-over last two weeks there usual +-6-8C between day andnight top down they look the part but bottom up makes me want to cry any ideas?? I am hopen i have diagnosed correctly i can see more cos the larvi are dyin g off and these big uns will dye and coz little dammage?? any advice/tips helpful

mittenmedgrow

mittenmedgrow

yes you can overwater esp. in straight canna. u guys wanna learn some shit about coco do a searh on here for zoolander grows or google canna coco zoolander. love my canna.

S

swisscheese

Small plants, transplants, and seedlings do really well with rhizotonic.

smokey79

smokey79

as the coco degrades it produces k not totl sure but coco dnt last forever everygrow sum of it is lost as salts/waste, other time i notice is during flower but this is the point the plant has all food it needs.
not total sure so no want head bit af by more knowlegble farmer would like to know answer and how am gettin a run off ec 3.6 n my ladys lookin sexy??
last time was wary salt build up but my cuttins did k on run off canna but think wasted alot allowin too much run off

smokey79

smokey79

yep it can be over watered but exreem unlikly if quality is used, rhizo n cannazyme both great additves.
anyone know about salts n salt lock out???

Top Bottom