Coco + Soil?

• Thread starter KMProp
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
K

KMProp

ok so I've been looking into using Canna Terra Pro Plus+ but also love using Coco

the Terra Plus is more of a soil with a lime charge enough to retain the pH at around 6 through the full cycle.

I'm running a IWS Dripper System so i was thinking of doing a 33 Coco / 33 Terra Pro Plus / 33 Clay Pebbles

what do you lot think?

MidwestToker

MidwestToker

I too am a straight coco guy. Just easier for me to mix up nutes and feed than wondering what a soil mix is missing as far as nutrition.

SilentL

SilentL

We I , use coco 65-80% 5-10 % perlite , leca , vermiculite , soli 20 %, some bat guano in medium , and most fertilisers are organic, trace elements I put in in the beginning of flowering to avoid deficiencies . Coco I like more oxyen to roots. Soil and guano taste and its like a system to avoid to rapid changes ; both good and can be disadvantage to.
We get good quality and a real nice taste to, so yes I prefer this mix. And why not hydro? N0 I get enough anyway..

Wildill

Wildill

I use coco and perlite I've tried coco loco with is a soil and coco mix I used it for seedlings and clones so I would not have to feed nutes for awile and coco to your soil will help retain moisture. I like to aggressive feed that's why I prefer a coco perlite mix

K

KMProp

nice to see how everyone uses something quite different in their own way, I'm taking all your advice into account, thanks fellas!

B

Burned Haze

Indoor Beds 4x8:50-70% Coco & rest Perlite so average 60% Coco, 40% Perlite
1-5 gallon container: 70-80% Coco and 10-20% Perlite depending on pot and water rates/project

PH: VEG 5.7-6.2 , Flower: 5.8-6.5 at highest

K

KMProp

I've never really done much research on perlite but notice a heck of a lot of people use it even in coco.. Ive always thought perlite was used to assist oxygen rates and to allow water to pass and drain easier but I always thought clay pebbles did the same thing that's why I use canna coco and pebble mix straight out of the bag.. I wonder if that's were I'm going wrong?

Talk me through perlite and aggressive feeding if you may

THCdurk

THCdurk

Are you rinsing tho coco good enough if your Goin straight out the bag? Could have too much salt

K

KMProp

When I put up my babies I do a feed of 10-15% run off with my nutrient mix

Wildill

Wildill

I've never really done much research on perlite but notice a heck of a lot of people use it even in coco.. Ive always thought perlite was used to assist oxygen rates and to allow water to pass and drain easier but I always thought clay pebbles did the same thing that's why I use canna coco and pebble mix straight out of the bag.. I wonder if that's were I'm going wrong?

Talk me through perlite and aggressive feeding if you may
Perlite and pebbles do the same thing so your not doing anything wrong.

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
Are you rinsing tho coco good enough if your Goin straight out the bag? Could have too much salt

You don't have to rinse Canna. Why it costs a left nut I guess. A couple of years ago I tested a bunch of coco strait out of the bag measuring runoff from RO water. Canna was the only one that tested round 100ppm or less. Biobizz was at like 1100 ppm. Loose Botanicare was around 600-700. Bricked Botanicare (without rinse just expand) was about 1200. The Sunleaves or whatever stuff was super high also.

Perlite is just to cut the coco so it dries faster and/or you can get more feeding ect. Usually for dripping/tables ect. Clay pebbles will do the same thing but you can add more perlite then pebbles if you really want to cut it down. 5 gal drip I was running 30% coco and 70% perlite and killed it.

I run Royal Gold Tupur now and love it. 9 bucks a bag. Cant beat it. Already has a bunch of perlite in it. Stuff is made for dripping/hydro/frequent hand watering. Never rinse it.
rd_Tupur_bag1.jpg

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
You use that right out the bag? I use the bio bizz rn I rinse it and let dry no perlite and put bean in.

Correction I found the old thread.
Canna was 170 ppm
It was Bcuzz (purple bag that was even more expensive then Canna) not Biobizz and it tested 1440 out of the bag.

Yeah Tupur right out of the bag. Zero issues.

MidwestToker

MidwestToker

When I tested my Cyco coir it tested at 50 ppm. But yes, the consistency of some of those compressed block where outrageous.

buddahslave

buddahslave

I'm in the process of testing 50% coco, 25% Happy Frog, and 25% Ocean Forest. I have never tried this before, but i'm hopeful for good results. I just built a greenhouse and will be using 45 gallon pots. The theory of why I wanted to try this mix is that the ocean forest seems to get dense and flavorful results and the coco provides speed and the ability not to over water. The happy frog carries the benificials that fuel the root zone. The mix of coco should expand and contract as it gets wet and dries causing air pockets in the soil thus expanding the root zone. I don't know this will work but I will report back what I think of it.

Top Bottom