Coco staying too wet / Plants not drinking

• Thread starter flipflop64
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
flipflop64

flipflop64

How tho. I watered everyday till runoff. Coco was constantly wet. Also the roots smelled bad.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

How tho. I watered everyday till runoff. Coco was constantly wet. Also the roots smelled bad.
Do you have whole plant pics?

I can't answer without a lot more detail.

All environmental factors, feeding practices (ppm,ph,etc, temps, humidity)

flipflop64

flipflop64

All environmental factors, feeding practices (ppm,ph,etc, temps, humidity)
Yeah I was in plastic pots. I transplanted to 1gal fabrics.
I handwater everyday for 20% runoff, steady 25C 50% humidity. feeding 1.2ec, 5.8PH.
I feed the ironhead formula using ghe flora.
Lots of air movement, samsung led stripes.

I also add myko product and southern ag. humic acid, seaweed extract.
I also spray regalia once every two weeks or so.

I never had this happen before. I thought coco is rot proof. I don't get how it could be "airpruning" because they were constantly pretty wet?

thank you for your help man! @Aqua Man

flipflop64

flipflop64

Maybe it is my water source? Do I maybe need an uv water filter?
Are you growing in 50/50 coco perlite or pure coco?

Mr.GreenthumbOG

Mr.GreenthumbOG

Grow for life🌱
Supporter
IMO. Coco doesn’t like to be constantly wet. constantly moist is more accurate.
roots, stacked on roots in that photo. Didn’t transplant soon enough.

RealizedReal000

RealizedReal000

Yeah the coco shouldn’t stay “wet”. Let the top inch or two get moist and then water. Also plastic pots seem to hold onto a lot more moisture inside because sometimes people don’t put enough holes at the bottom. I actually turn my plastic pots into those pretty much air pots by drilling a bunch of holes on the side and all around the pot. Like every square inch had a hole. Lol
Also lifting the pots helps a lot especially when your able to give a plant a full feeding of water. Just note the weight and water when it feels a noticeably lighter. I know that your supposed to water coco frequently which I’ve got one plant doing since I never did it before but the others I just lift the pot and water and it’s worked out in my opinion for the last 4 years. Lol

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Because the plastic pots don't breathe as well they also tend to hold more heat.... no real evaporative cooling. So the roots on the outside can become much warmer and the first place to dry will be the top and sides of the pot.... but likewise when fully watered will be saturated. This is an issue if you let em dry to much as the dirt pulls away from the sides it exposes the roots to air... thus the air pruning.

I bet if you give em a dose of enzymes and keep them wet it's a matter of a week before seeing things Improve a lot.

If you have the twmos up there like 80f and night over 70. With humidity 50-60%. Pots off the floor. Then next nute feed flush through to get even ppm and ph out as going in.

Then try this. But follow it to a TEE and feed based on the amount of runoff. If your tenls are low this won't work.

ALWAYS feed first thing after lights on. If multiple feeds are needed split only during lights on... eg. 2 feeds should be at lights on then again halfways through lights on.

Always PH and TEMP adjust the water... ALWAYS BOTH

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

It's what I was taught was pot burn, where the root is growing as hard as it can against an unmovable object, needs potting up. 👍
Yup.... they will air prune... if dried out... my last grow was pretty good for learning and testing the rootbound theory and I'm now a form believer that they only need enough space to adequately take up nutrients.... if you can maintain that.... they can grow in some very tiny spaces.... I also feel the fabric pots are a big reason that can be done as it provides much more gas exchange. Maybe not much impact when used I other conditions but I feel in a tiny pot with bigger plants it's a game changer.

flipflop64

flipflop64

They seem to do better now. Its not airpruning tho. Its root rot. I lost some where the rot was too far gone because the main root ball wasnt drinking anymore. Stayed to wet and died.
The plants where the main roots where not infected so bad seem to do great now in 50/50 coco perlite.

Gold label coco is shit. Its really muddy and holds on to way too much moisture. Also the 70/30 mix isnt 70/30. More like 90/10 lol

RealizedReal000

RealizedReal000

They seem to do better now. Its not airpruning tho. Its root rot. I lost some where the rot was too far gone because the main root ball wasnt drinking anymore. Stayed to wet and died.
The plants where the main roots where not infected so bad seem to do great now in 50/50 coco perlite.

Gold label coco is shit. Its really muddy and holds on to way too much moisture. Also the 70/30 mix isnt 70/30. More like 90/10 lol
Try making your own out of top shelf coco then add the perlite. That way you can mix it how you want to.

flipflop64

flipflop64

Try making your own out of top shelf coco then add the perlite. That way you can mix it how you want to.
I really got some information from here before starting my first coco grow. I thought I was prepared. I would have never thought of root rot in coco i thought it was impossible. I am really disapointed in gold label coco. My friend said it was a good product.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Whats the best water temperature in coco? I always feed once an hour after my lights kick on.
The temp of your media is what you want the temp of the feed. Usually around 5f cooler than air temps.

Latest posts

Top Bottom