Coco that doesnt need to be flushed?

• Thread starter turbo6shooter
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

turbo6shooter

Im interested in using some coco soil that doesnt need flushing as im a lazy bastard. Ive read some posts and it seems like everone is flushing it before they start. I talked to a person at a shop and he says you dont need to flush coco soil, good to go right out of the bag. He also says perlite is not necessary.

I have been using FFOF cut with 30% perlite with great results using Botanicare lineup of nutes. But want to do better. Is coco all what its hyped up to be? The guy at the shop says that all of his coco customers love the stuff.

Anyways, what brand can i use without flushing? Used to do DWC but got sick of dealing with hydroton.

Of should I stick with the FFOF? I only have to water it 2X a week, love the simplicity...

buffbuds

buffbuds

Canna coco is great stuff. same price as FFOF, but you can use half the amount to get the same results, same watering schedule and everything. Just have to make sure you pH the nutrients, use some cal-mag in addition to the PBP and whatever else you like to use in FFOF.

Canna doesn't need pre-flushing at all, and Botanicare works well with their Coco. Though, I would recommend going with Canna's nutrients as well.

F

fuzzy

Canna

Yep Canna.Been running Canna for about 3yrs now and never have had to rinse. peace,fuzzy

T

turbo6shooter

Cool I just got a few bags of Canna i'll try it out! thanks!

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
Canna is the only one that is actually flushed. All the others have tons of salt still in them weather they say they are or not.

C

CanadianClassic

Canna for sure,if you don't wanna flush ever just grow with 0 nutes!! lol J/K!

Goodluck with the ladies!!!

budboy299

budboy299

No matter what you use....check the runoff during initial use just to be sure.

Check your source water's EC
run some through your coco
Check runoff and see if it is close.

If it is reasonable close you are good to go.
I just added about 4 gallons of new coco to a container and the runoff was
.8 EC I thought this was something I could live with so went with it and just ran my nutes a little lighter in this pot till a few watering were under my belt.
By about the fifth watering the nutes in all the pots had balanced out and no ill effects were to be had (except me second guessing myself)

D

dudeman

From all that I've read people seem to favor the canna coco more than others. I just started using it and I like it.

W

waywardson

I like SunShine Just Coir and it can be used right out of the bag. On top of that it is cheap and you can usually find it at a nursery...which I like shopping in more than hydro stores.

I have seen one bad bag that must have been not processed properly. I now open a bag, run some distilled through a small sample and check the Na level just to make sure that doesn't happen to me again...but the one bag is the only one I have had a problem with...and I go through 25 bags every 10 weeks or so.

Just curious...is the Roots Organics pure coco or does it have some peat and amendments added?

Smokey503ski

Smokey503ski

I have never used the CAnna brand before so I cannot agree with it. From what I have used that I have tested that does not need flushing is the Atomi Bcuzz' Coco. like the OP said, always test your run off in coco when you are testing it out.

I have used the Botanicare brick stufff and it was low in PPM's. all I had to do was flush it with PH water and it good to go. I use that stuff when I am low on funds.

I alway's "pre-charge" my coco before I use it also.

Smokey503ski

Smokey503ski

whats your pre charge method? hows that work? Im looking into trying some coco coir out

If I am shooting for a PPM of lets say 600, I will make a batch up of a stronger nutes. Usually I will bump it to 900 PPM's when I "pre-charge" it. What I am doing is adding more food to the Coco. I found out when using Coco if I just stick a plant in the Coco and then add nutes, a few days later I noticed the plants were yellowing a little bit.
"Charging" just makes sure you have a propper PPM in your Coco before you put plants in it. If you were to water with around 600 PPM's at first with plants in, it would be a few feedings before it was what you really wanted it to be.
I also PH the food to around 5.6 and test the run off untill it is what I want it at.
I have found much faster growth rate by doing this.

Top Bottom