Coconut oil potency disappointing, what went wrong?

• Thread starter dreamgreen
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
dreamgreen

dreamgreen

Strength is weak weak weak. Not sure what i did wrong...here’s the steps i followed:

DECARB
  • Preheat oven to 225
  • Spread a crumbled layer on parchment paper on a cookie sheet
  • Bake for 40 mins

COCONUT OIL
  • 40g of decarbed trim per 2 cups (16 fl. oz.) of oil
  • Combine in crockpot, simmer on low
  • When temp hits 240 max (about an hour), set to Warm for 2 more hours
  • Strain out plant material with cheesecloth and metal strainer into a jar
  • Let cool with lid off
  • Stores up to a year in the fridge

goingtoguano

goingtoguano

It doesn't look like there was anything that went wrong other than the potency of your "trim", or the amount you are consuming. The math says 40g at lets say 10% would be 4000mg into 2 cups. Lets say you wanted a 10mg dose (for simplicity). 2 cups equals 96 teaspoons so 10mg/4000mg x 96tsp=.24 teaspoon per 10mg. If you think the trim was 20%, that 1/4 tsp. would be 20mg. If you want to take 40mg, take 1/2 tsp or, if you think the trim was closer to 10% take 1 tsp.

dreamgreen

dreamgreen

It doesn't look like there was anything that went wrong other than the potency of your "trim", or the amount you are consuming. The math says 40g at lets say 10% would be 4000mg into 2 cups. Lets say you wanted a 10mg dose (for simplicity). 2 cups equals 96 teaspoons so 10mg/4000mg x 96tsp=.24 teaspoon per 10mg. If you think the trim was 20%, that 1/4 tsp. would be 20mg. If you want to take 40mg, take 1/2 tsp or, if you think the trim was closer to 10% take 1 tsp.
Makes sense. It was definitely more leaf leaf than sugar leaves/popcorn. I've eaten a healthy tablespoon at a time, and felt nothing save a little nausea. I'll use only popcorn next time.

the rrock

the rrock

I used to use a similar recipe with fair results, bought a magic butter mach.(MBM) The end result is just off the charts compared to old recipe.If using hi grade bud in this machine the product is tooo strong for most people. I make gummies or other edibles and no comparison to commercial sold edibles.Just sayin the MBM is a great investment and its all self contained.

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

Strength is weak weak weak. Not sure what i did wrong...here’s the steps i followed:

DECARB
  • Preheat oven to 225
  • Bake for 40 mins

COCONUT OIL
  • Let cool with lid off
Posdibly not enough cook time. 250F for 30 minutes is standard. I use the lower temps, 220F for 60-90 minutes with good results.

And even better I've been making tincture with 190 proof, evaporating off the alcohol and mix the resulting sluge with the oil in mini crock pot at 110F for 30 minutes. Longer cooking times, 2-4 hours makes for a sleeping pill that rocks!

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

DECARB
  • Preheat oven to 225
  • Bake for 40 mins

COCONUT OIL
  • Let cool with lid off
I agree with @PlumberSoCal above ^ Not enough time, need 6 or 8 hours minimum. I set mine on low and let it go 12hrs. overnight in a crock pot also I use about an ounce and a half of primo buds per 14 oz. jar of coconut oil or pound of butter. If I was using popcorn bud and Sugar Leaf I would use at least 2 oz, hope this helps!

dreamgreen

dreamgreen

I agree with @PlumberSoCal above ^ Not enough time, need 6 or 8 hours minimum. I set mine on low and let it go 12hrs. overnight in a crock pot also I use about an ounce and a half of primo buds per 14 oz. jar of coconut oil or pound of butter. If I was using popcorn bud and Sugar Leaf I would use at least 2 oz, hope this helps!
Gotcha. Do you watch the temp to make sure it doesn’t go over 240? I bet different brands of crock pots reach different temps on low...

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

You’re talking decarb right?
Yes, decarb. I use a toaster oven. They have been found to have much less variation in temp during the cook. For mixing I use a mini crock pot. Temp is very stable at about 110F.

I use to just cook the decarbed flower in the oil for hours. Since making the tincture first I just have to incorporate the sluge with the oil.

Once strained make a cap or two and seal the jar and put into the fridge or freezer until you know if it's to your liking. If not mix in some more and cook again.

I believe with the longer cook times of the oil the THC breaks down into CBD. Better for sleep.

For me tincture and caps are strictly medicinal. I have a very high tolerance and only take 1ml tincture daily and caps as needed for pain/sleep. I do not get high from either but have noticed when adding either with smoke that the high will last longer.

Try different ways and see what works best for you and share that info with the rest of us.😉

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Gotcha. Do you watch the temp to make sure it doesn’t go over 240? I bet different brands of crock pots reach different temps on low...
In the oven I do, I decarb for 40 minutes, I've never checked it in the Crock-Pot I just leave it on low all night and stir it whenever I pass by

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Even when I used to do it double boiler Style on the stove I'd simmer it for 6 to 8 hours, so I think next time you just got to let it go for a longer time or overnight and hopefully you'll get the results you want

Dan789

Dan789

For my coconut oil caps,I use at least 75 grams decarb’d bud, 16 oz. coconut oil and then let it run several 4 hour sessions over a few days in the Magic butter maker before straining and finishing. Any thing I don’t cap, then gets container’ed and refrigerated till it’s time to make more caps. I don’t know that even then all the thc has been absorbed, but thinking longer is better. This is done at 160 degrees so there's little more decarbing going on. I am going to experiment though on my next alcohol tincture which I let run 60 days, I’ll boil off the alcohol and like the method @the rrock uses, add back in either glycerin or coconut oil...

B

Bmoulton

Me my self decarb at 245 25-30 min about oz of bud 400 ml oil. Put in crockpot for day. Shake every few ours capsules are great. Last stuff I grew was high thc had to add more oil. So if using trim you would want 3-4 oz in a batch.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Yes, decarb. I use a toaster oven. They have been found to have much less variation in temp during the cook. For mixing I use a mini crock pot. Temp is very stable at about 110F.

I use to just cook the decarbed flower in the oil for hours. Since making the tincture first I just have to incorporate the sluge with the oil.

Once strained make a cap or two and seal the jar and put into the fridge or freezer until you know if it's to your liking. If not mix in some more and cook again.

I believe with the longer cook times of the oil the THC breaks down into CBD. Better for sleep.

For me tincture and caps are strictly medicinal. I have a very high tolerance and only take 1ml tincture daily and caps as needed for pain/sleep. I do not get high from either but have noticed when adding either with smoke that the high will last longer.

Try different ways and see what works best for you and share that info with the rest of us.😉

Just an FYI. THC does not turn into cbd. It degrades into cbn. A non psychoactive and non medical compound.

Top Bottom