Cold Climate Concerns

• Thread starter SodaLicious
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
SodaLicious

SodaLicious

Will pulling -20 to -40 C air through my bulbs hurt them?

My intake is 6" with Bird Screen on the outside, depending on wind conditions it may pull in fine snow/ice particals. If this happens and it passes past my hot bulbs, will they explode?

HookedonPonics

HookedonPonics

id get 3 dust shrooms and put them on the ducting before it hits your lights and fan, you dont want any kind of moisture building up on a fixture that has that much electricity running thru it. also you probably wanna get a thermostat for your inline fan because with air that cold it might actually get your room too chilly if running full time. another thing to think about is getting insulated ducting to keep condensation from dripping off your ductwork all over your room due to the huge temp diff between the two. hope that helps

SodaLicious

SodaLicious

id get 3 dust shrooms and put them on the ducting before it hits your lights and fan, you dont want any kind of moisture building up on a fixture that has that much electricity running thru it. also you probably wanna get a thermostat for your inline fan because with air that cold it might actually get your room too chilly if running full time. another thing to think about is getting insulated ducting to keep condensation from dripping off your ductwork all over your room due to the huge temp diff between the two. hope that helps

Dust shrooms are not an option for my location, the air has to travel about 15 feet throught ridgid ducting before it hits my fan, then my fan pushes air over thebulbs, through insulated ducting, then back down through the floor to another part of the house. Right now I pull air from another part of the space and vent through the bulbs back into another space. I am hoping to run direct air from outside to cool the hoods even more, as they are not cool to the touch with the setup the way it is now. Do you live somewhere with a climate similar to mine?

-40 C right now.

B

benign

I have a similar issue with my room; I'm also in a pretty cold climate...although not quite -40c but still quite a bit of chill up here in these mountains. I take in outside air to cool my hoods also, generally the way I run is my fan starts up first and about 2-3 minutes later my light goes on, this way I'm not pulling ice cold air directly over a hot bulb which I don't think would be a very good idea. As for moisture...I don't even touch my bulb with bare hands for fear of residual moisture exploding the bulb, this can be extremely dangerous and if you don't like picking up glass shards you'll want to keep any amount of moisture off of your bulbs...speaking from experience these bulbs will explode and if you happen to be in the room it will scare the hell out of you at best at worst if you have no glass on your hood you could end up with hot shards of glass embedded in you. If you are going to run this way you need to be certain that no moisture will enter your duct system...you may be able to use some type of filter (dust shroom maybe on the flange to your hood and then place ducting over the filter...I'm not sure if this would work but since you are pulling such cold air through I don't think that you would have to worry about melting the filter...then again it's still not a good solution because if your fan takes a dump on you there will be a risk of fire...bends in your ducting would be best though (and cheapest), moisture has a hard time traveling up hill so I think you could use that technique for the cheapest option. Good Luck and hopefully there will be some happy trees in your near future.

SodaLicious

SodaLicious

Thanks for the info Benign, This is what I have done today. I partitioned about 3 feet x 11 feet off one end of the room, then I ran a 6" duct from outside into that portion of the room, then cut passive vents through the plastic partition. Hopefully this will help keep the room cooler, still not sure about the venting through my lights from outside.

T

theTinker

Perhaps you can build a box to catch and disperse any droplets.

Regular humidity wont affect your bulbs. Half the tents on this site pull fairly humid air through thier lights. You just have to make sure there are no droplets.

Long ducting with a few bends would actually help here. And the cold air would have little moisture in it. Since the air coming through your ducting is going to warmer places, there'll be less humidity in the air after the first bulb.

If you can build a box out of wood, and use it as a small lung room. That would help alot. Any droplets would stay in the lung room.
I'd place the entry air ducting on the bottom horizontally, and the exit on the top also horizontally.
......__......
<--|....|.....
.....|__|<--

It would allow the air a few moments to disperse its droplets after the sudden slow down of the air in the lung room. In this box, you could add other things to block the droplets, but it'd prolly be unneeded. Perhap netting like on pouches etc, It would catch the moisture, wet the fabric its made from, and the air would then dry the fabric and only add humidity to the air and not droplets.

OR skip all this shit If you are using VERY cold air like -40, then a very slow moving fan would be perfect for this, as the slow moving air would not move the droplets 15feet. Slower the better, and thats only IF there are are droplets. I use external air at -5C sometimes, and i get no droplets. 10 of ducting, 2*90 bends.

ttystikk

ttystikk

There is another, more basic concern here. I don't think moisture from outside will be an issue, for the simple reason that cold air can't hold much moisture- as it begins to warm, any moisture it carries will be sucked back into vapor. That's why it's called 'relative humidity'- the colder the air, the less capacity it has for holding moisture. As the air temp rises, the RH falls- drastically- and will actually cause more problems drying things out than getting anything wet.

No, your big problem with pulling extremely cold air across your HID bulbs is that you'll make them run too cold. These bulbs are carefully designed to run in a certain specific temperature range. If they're kept too cold, they won't warm up properly and that will drastically affect the light spectrum they emit. At best, it will be a serious loss of lumens in the spectra you need and a waste of money on electricity. At worst- well, -40C is about the same as -40F, and that kind of cold is no joke. Just as your car needs special attention to run in those extremes, so does your growroom.

I would actually recommend against ANY direct ducting between your grow and an environment that cold, because just one slipup and you've frozen your crop- I've seen it happen through a hole as small as a 6" duct where the backdraft damper stuck open!

Even if you slow the fan down so it 'prewarms' on the way inside, you've just created a nasty condensation/freezeup issue on the OUTSIDE of your ducting, plus a serious loss of heat. And it still won't work, because the second, third, etc. bulbs in line won't get similar cooling, leading to issues with different bulbs running different temps. NOT good for lighting quality, or temperature control.

What you need is some kind of lung room- one a lot bigger than a box, on the order of 2-4 cubic meters (30-60 cubic feet) per 1000W fixture- where you can mix cold outside air with warmer inside air in a controlled fashion, like with a thermostatically controlled fan that controls only air between the outdoors and that room. This way, you've got some insurance if something goes wrong and things get too hot- or too cold.

ttystikk

ttystikk

Thanks for the info Benign, This is what I have done today. I partitioned about 3 feet x 11 feet off one end of the room, then I ran a 6" duct from outside into that portion of the room, then cut passive vents through the plastic partition. Hopefully this will help keep the room cooler, still not sure about the venting through my lights from outside.

Upon rereading, I saw this entry, and I think this is much closer to the mark. Run cold air from outside into this space, and then run your hood ducting from here through your lights, and back into this room. Place a fan inside this room, aimed up from the floor so it actively mixes cold outside air with hot air returning from your ducts. I still think a thermostatically controlled fan is your best bet from properly regulating temps in this room.

SodaLicious

SodaLicious

so my solution for now is a thermostat/timer pluged into a 300cfm 6" fan that supplies fresh air to the room outside the grow room and just naturaly enters the grow space. Seems to be working for now, also has dropped the res temps by like 15* f!

Latest posts

Top Bottom