Cold Res Water Causing Stunted Growth? Dwc

• Thread starter LacesOutDan
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
L

LacesOutDan

Hey guys, me again with a little update and new issue.
I guess the real question here is : Whats too cold?

Brief description of my setup-
2 5gal DWC, bagseed, GH flora series nutes, CFL (LED on the way)
5 weeks from seed
Its cold here, and I have no problems keeping my res temps in the mid to low 60s consistently, but my tap water comes out of the faucet at about 46 degrees F.

So I started my nutes at quarter strength after the young plants had already started to show signs of nutrient deficiency, around week 2 and was really worried about them surviving, and i was going out of town for 8 days and not being able to check on them, I decided the day before we left to just give them fresh water and nutes at half strength and see what happened.

I returned 8 days later to BEAUTIFUL plants. No signs of any type of problem whatsoever. Couldn't be happier.

As an experiment, i took one of my buckets and gave it fresh water and nutes at FULL strength. 500ppm. That buckets res solution temp was 52 degrees F when i dropped the plant back in it.
This plant has not grown at all since then(2 days). Looks great, just hasn't done anything except the stem and branches are all vibrant purple. cold shock?? will it be ok??

The other bucket that has 12 day old, quarter strength nutes is growing so fast its unbelievable. 2 inches last night in 6 hours. Tight node spacing and beautiful indica dominant leaves. Already starting to smell at about 5 inches tall.

Stumpy420

Stumpy420

Yeah 50s is a little too cold 60s is fine for most I think, mine had absolutely no problems with 60 degree water

B

Badmf

65F is the lowest I'd go for good growth however the lower temps aid oxygen uptake, but plants like warmer roots they have aquarium heaters that will make this easier. 65 -75 range.

Top Bottom