Cold room temps with led

• Thread starter Blaze187
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Blaze187

Blaze187

OK so I've made the switch from 600w hps to led and I've instantly noticed the massive drop in temps in my room. I did have it pretty much dialed in using 2 x 600w hps keeping the room a snug 27c/80f. So now I'm looking at heaters and am thinking of getting an oil filled one with Thermostat. While looking I realised that the heaters are between 1000w and 2000w...so in my mind it makes no sense to run a heater when I could just run a 1000w hps and let my plants benefit from the extra light?... I'm really starting to think I've made a big mistake changing over to led. I can see them being great in the summer or a place where its warm but it's never warm where I am! Be interested to hear from others who grow in cooler rooms?... Do you avoid led completely? Or run heaters?... Or would a mixture of the two work?. Been looking at some ceramic hps that only run at 315watts which could possibly heat the space but it's beginning to get expensive!... Even if I run both I'm still going to need to run an electricity eating heater in lights out!... I'm so confused 😕

coherent

coherent

You aren't running the heaters full time. The oil filled heaters just keep the enclosed oil at temp and turn on and off based on the thermostat setting. They are more efficient than the ceramic or element electric heaters. Your lights on the other hand are on for 12 hrs or more straight a day... big difference in power consumption. Of course exact consumption depends on the room size, how well insulated, outdoor temps etc. A lot of variables. Think about it this way... while your lights do produce heat and warm your room, they are pretty inefficient heaters (which is what you were doing) compared to other types of heaters.

Madmax

Madmax

I agree it makes no sense to run a heater with lights on.you can get mini finned oil heaters that are 500watts but ..where is the room.and can you insulate it .

Blaze187

Blaze187

The space is in an out building joining the house. It is insulated but still gets cold eg current temps with nothing on is 10c/50f!.. Room size is approx 9ft x 3.5ft. I understand what your saying about the heater switching on and off. Just threw me with them both having the same wattage rating!. These new lights literally give off no heat at all, it's going to take some getting used to! 👍🏻

Dub_City405

Dub_City405

Very very simple brother depending on your grow space. I definitely would recommend throwing that hps in the middle overlapping the lighting of the LED lights. It will supplement the deep red that your LED is missing. LED benefits the genetics that stretch providing a full spectrum and blue woth res that will stack the nodes. Led will give you more buds but the buds wont be as big as using a HPS. I really suggest using a cmh with LED. And you will get super big super frosty buds. These guys here that post they will harvest and get from a half ounce to 2 ounces a plant depends on how they train. Im getting 4 ounces a plant id say without lying to you i get 3 ounces and some change. The spectrum is very important. I run my temps from 68 to 74.

If its to cold throw that hps 1 of them in that grow space with leds and those nodes will stack and become larger.

growsince79

growsince79

OK so I've made the switch from 600w hps to led and I've instantly noticed the massive drop in temps in my room. I did have it pretty much dialed in using 2 x 600w hps keeping the room a snug 27c/80f. So now I'm looking at heaters and am thinking of getting an oil filled one with Thermostat. While looking I realised that the heaters are between 1000w and 2000w...so in my mind it makes no sense to run a heater when I could just run a 1000w hps and let my plants benefit from the extra light?... I'm really starting to think I've made a big mistake changing over to led. I can see them being great in the summer or a place where its warm but it's never warm where I am! Be interested to hear from others who grow in cooler rooms?... Do you avoid led completely? Or run heaters?... Or would a mixture of the two work?. Been looking at some ceramic hps that only run at 315watts which could possibly heat the space but it's beginning to get expensive!... Even if I run both I'm still going to need to run an electricity eating heater in lights out!... I'm so confused 😕
Im mixing 150w hps and 100w leds as needed for temp control. Works good. Once it gets warmer, all led will work better. I also just got a programmable ac infinity which helps a lot.

Blaze187

Blaze187

Very very simple brother depending on your grow space. I definitely would recommend throwing that hps in the middle overlapping the lighting of the LED lights. It will supplement the deep red that your LED is missing. LED benefits the genetics that stretch providing a full spectrum and blue woth res that will stack the nodes. Led will give you more buds but the buds wont be as big as using a HPS. I really suggest using a cmh with LED. And you will get super big super frosty buds. These guys here that post they will harvest and get from a half ounce to 2 ounces a plant depends on how they train. Im getting 4 ounces a plant id say without lying to you i get 3 ounces and some change. The spectrum is very important. I run my temps from 68 to 74.

If its to cold throw that hps 1 of them in that grow space with leds and those nodes will stack and become larger.

After reading that i think ill go with your advice and get a ceramic for the middle. I've also found a little Thermostat device made by inkwell that regulates the temps so I could plug in my heater for heat and have a fan on the cold side so that it only kicks in when needed...my last couple of grows have been pretty successful with a couple of oz per plant but I wasn't happy with the buds, they were on the fluffy light side, far from dense and were a pain to trim. The best grow I've done was my first! But that was in a tent in the house so I'm thinking it's definitely the drops in temps that are slowing things down and stopping my buds from getting dense

Dr.B

Dr.B

Its an adjustment.

I live in Canada, not one of the warmer parts...

I grow under a 1000 watt led framed with 3000k T5's in my flower tent, LED is all I've ever done. I use a 1500W oil filled radiator with a digital thermostat, placed near my air intakes, outside of the tents for the cold hours in my basement. But it will not kick on if the flower tent is awake. No need.

The nursery tent, also led, runs 24 hours a day, The veg tent, again led, is 18/6. Those two tents help to keep the night temps up... I have trouble getting my flower temp down below 22 at night actually, In the day I never exceed 27, rarely 26... That room positively hums when its all awake and busy... My power bill monthly? About $110.00 Canadian.

PXL 20201209 202858461
Blaze187

Blaze187

Its an adjustment.

I live in Canada, not one of the warmer parts...

I grow under a 1000 watt led framed with 3000k T5's in my flower tent, LED is all I've ever done. I use a 1500W oil filled radiator with a digital thermostat, placed near my air intakes, outside of the tents for the cold hours in my basement. But it will not kick on if the flower tent is awake. No need.

The nursery tent, also led, runs 24 hours a day, The veg tent, again led, is 18/6. Those two tents help to keep the night temps up... I have trouble getting my flower temp down below 22 at night actually, In the day I never exceed 27, rarely 26... That room positively hums when its all awake and busy... My power bill monthly? About $110.00 Canadian.

Wow man that's a lot of juice!... But your bottom flowers are as big as my main colas!.. I've been thinking and I'm going to take dub city's advice and add a 315w cmh to try and help raise the temps. Thing is my room is a strange long and narrow shape. I got sick of climbing over plants so changed my room and lights around so I had better access to the rear plants. So putting a cmh in the middle of the led lights isn't going to cut it I don't think. I'm now looking at a 2m light mover rail so all plants get the benefit... You can really get carried away with a grow room!.. That's part of the fun I suppose, there's always something you need for it to be perfect! 😂... As you can see from the picture of the room it's a strange setup... I'd give my right arm for a big empty bedroom with a big square tent!

IMG 20210117 165636
Blaze187

Blaze187

Quick question dub... So I've decided to buy the cmh 315w to supplement the led's. I'm also planning on mounting it on a 2 meter light moving rail which I'm hoping will be sweet!. Would I be better using both lights straight though veg and bloom or would I just switch on the ceramic in bloom?

Dub_City405

Dub_City405

I misread what you were saying. You can use the cmh. Use them both.

Last edited:
detroitjoe

detroitjoe

Going from conventional to LED requires a different approach.

less heat, constant issues with humidity, constant issues with health and so forth.

SensiStar

SensiStar

Hey bud. I use an LED and during the day it'll kick up to 74-75 degrees and drop to 68-70 at night. I have my heat on 69°-70° as I live up north in NYS. The ambient temperature is nice. But I'm growing a northern hybrid that enjoys a cooler temp.

Madmax

Madmax

A good dehumidifier does wonders producing heat for my room helping out the led enormously .using heat to control your room works best...humidifiers going 24/7 and keeps humidity down lights off..id b pretty fooked without it...kills 2 birds with 1 stone...

MedicalOnly

MedicalOnly

detroitjoe

detroitjoe

you just created a fuck of a challege for yourself.
you cant eat, sleep..try this, try that..etc.
Now the dog is messed up cause your angry and frustrated...your wifey paying attention to bob the hardware store guy...

go back to what you know, and experiment on the side till you get some experience using LED rigs

Top Bottom