Coldest temperature you’ve survived

• Thread starter RoyalRoutes
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
R

RoyalRoutes

Hey yall

it’s been a while but I finally got approved for my extended plant count and just flipped 12 plants under 3000 watts to flower. The next run I plan to run 8 lights but for now we’re going with one side and only 3/4 lights on that side because canopy isn’t full.

the garage isn’t insulated and at 18degrees outside my temperatures fluctuated between 60-65 and 50-55. I run the lights at night to counter the cold weather. For the first run coldest I expect the temps to get outside are 10-30 degrees.average temperature is 30-50 during the day(outside).

I plant to insulate after the first run.
area is 400sq ft

Any suggestions on heaters?
Your coldest temperatures ?
How much will insulation save me?

Will upload better photos later
They have stretched completely past first canopy

Coldest temperature youve survived
Coldest temperature youve survived 2
BigCube

BigCube

There is no single lowest temperature suitable for cannabis. It is very strain dependent.

Moreover rh and soil temps also play a part.

Some plants die before any frost at all, some will take a few days of frost and not die.

Its like asking what the lowest temperature a human can live in. There is no one set temperature. People die overnight from exposure in a summer rain, others live for weeks in a frozen wasteland.

BigCube

BigCube

Also if you use a heater, try to stay away from forced air type. They fuck with your rh and dry shit out fast.

I reccomend the fan less oil type radiant heater.

Insulation will help a ton. If its insulated well, you might not need to run any heaters. The heat from the light could be enough as long as you dont open the door too many times.

Insulation can also help in summer when it gets hot outside. It can save a ton on cooling as well.

Hope you get her fingered out mang!

basscaptain

basscaptain

if your handy, you should be able to run a duck and vent, right into your garage for heat and ac......
with the ins and dw you should stay around 60 in it your temps are close to my old temps in victorville....

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

Hey yall

it’s been a while but I finally got approved for my extended plant count and just flipped 12 plants under 3000 watts to flower. The next run I plan to run 8 lights but for now we’re going with one side and only 3/4 lights on that side because canopy isn’t full.

the garage isn’t insulated and at 18degrees outside my temperatures fluctuated between 60-65 and 50-55. I run the lights at night to counter the cold weather. For the first run coldest I expect the temps to get outside are 10-30 degrees.average temperature is 30-50 during the day(outside).

I plant to insulate after the first run.
area is 400sq ft

Any suggestions on heaters?
Your coldest temperatures ?
How much will insulation save me?

Will upload better photos later
They have stretched completely past first canopy
i suggest putting them buckets up off the slab,take your shoes off and see why,a piece of plywood would help you a lot,in the 50's light off isnt all that bad,but the foam board you have on walls would go under them buckets also,jmo only,that foam board is pretty tuff stuff and insulate more than you think,i was in my local box store couple days ago and they now have that shit 2in thick,huuumm,easier toi apply as far as insulation,im amune to it but the family get the itcheys quick ,that board isnt as hard on the skin if you dig

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
Propane heater will be a win/win. Produces Co2. Just know the ins and outs if running it in a sealed place and take caution and do it right.

BigCube

BigCube

Propane heaters can be win win win cause of the heat, co2 but also raises rh quite a bit.

These are ofcourse unvented burners.
If you have a normal vented furnace running propane, none of those apply.

R

RoyalRoutes

Does anyone know how to heat water in a reservoir safely? Also any safer heaters I don’t want gas going in my garage?

Seraphine

Seraphine

I’m sure your grow environment is probably a lot colder than mine but My night time temps drop to the mid 60s during winter.
If it helps, you could use heat summation or growing degree days. Typically, more cold hardy plants in the north such as native trees and shrubs will continue to grow as long as temps don’t dip below 40F, warmer climate native species can tolerate down to 50f. After that growing stops. Cannabis isn’t really a native species but I would venture to guess indica strains could tolerate temps into the high 50s.

Last edited:
Seraphine

Seraphine

I definitely wouldn’t try growing sativas in those cold temps. They would take FOREVER to mature.

Seraphine

Seraphine

Also, I would have my lights on overnight and off during the day. At least the lights will provide some kind of heat when the temps drop really low at night.

Dan789

Dan789

Like the idea to space the pots off the bare concrete with foam board, then I’d add a couple radiator type heated oil heaters (without fans) to warm the whole garage? I used foam board to insulate the roll up door and plastic sheeting over that to keep the cold wind blowing through. Good luck, I’m not in as cold a climate as you are, but have been doing it that way for years.

Top Bottom