Colorado Curing Methods

• Thread starter DWkush
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

DoobyScoo

Glass jars once off the stem, if you got the time to burp them.

T

TurboAllWD

I've been trying to jar when its dry enough to jar without burping, takes them a day to hit 55% 2-3 days to get up to 60%. No burping needed, right in the cure zone.

Green Mopho

Green Mopho

Pop off fan leaves, dry in an environmentally controlled room. Aim for 40~45% RH with a humidifier for 7-10 days. Then dry trim into jars.

C

ClearWater

I pop off large fan leaves and dry in a room with 50% RH. When they stems are almost ready to snap Ill popem into jars and crackem (around 6-7 days here)as I get to them trimming. Ill trim them to perfection after that and place them back into jars

Dorje

Dorje

Break plant into manageable pieces and hang on a line, air movement and humidity should be controlled so it takes about a week to dry. I leave fan leaves on, but a lot of them have been trimmed off before harvest anyway. Once dry, I cut the branches up into smaller pieces and place in a large container to keep it from drying too much, then trim, place into another container to cure.

eyecandi

eyecandi

lol, exactly what GM and CW said (45-50% for me). and as summer nears, the humidity here drops way low. be carefull or you'll end up with crumblies in a matter of weeks if not sealed and stored well.

G

ganjherbsmoke

Ya I just had my room at about 45 or so and in 5 days the stems were almost snapping :/ was hoping id get closer to 10 days but maybe ill try and keep it at 55 next time ans see how that works

W

waywardson

Auto trimmer (wet)...onto screens in a room humidity controlled around 50%...let dry to fairly crispy...into paper bags when the humidity in the bag will be around 65-70%...tumble, open bags twice daily until humidity in the bags falls to just below 60%...into jars with humidity monitoring...sometimes it rises above 60% in which case the jar is burped, sometimes it doesn't in which case it is not burped. Never, ever let humidity in the bag/jars drop below 55% (that is the death of taste).

Simple as pie and reliable as an anvil. Watch the numbers and respond accordingly...no guesswork, art of drying involved.

This method has been the single biggest step I have ever made towards improved, consistent taste...well, other than genetics of course.

S

SoCoMMJ

And because you need a 6th drying process :)

Trim fresh off the plant onto screens.

Run in drying box with tiny fan overnight to pull off the surface moisture.

Move into tupperware containers to slow the dry by varying how much you leave the lid ajar.

Seal overnight each night to pull internal moisture back to the surface.

Insert digital meter after a few days and continue slow drying until you get to a 55%-58% in the am before you open the container.

Vacuum seal buds into Ball jars and it will be good forever. It can't mold in the vacuum, and 55% leaves just enough moisture for it to continue to cure until use.

That's how we do it, but everybody apparently does it differently. The idea is to slow down the dry because CO lacks humidity. Then seal the buds before they dry to shit.

D

DoobyScoo

So, with the dry trim.
Is it purely a taste issue or task time issue?

I have only done dry trims because I got stuck by myself and said "fuck it, cut it, pop the fan leaves and hang to do later."
Then I find the dry trim takes just as long as the wet, if not longer in my case.

C

ClearWater

Im sure it takes longer to trim in the end but I feel it really is a taste thing for me, seems to sweat the buds dry. Ive always cured that way personally and have found it to work out well

C

ChickenJoe

weed below $3000 a lb doesnt need to be cured. :anim_09:
now when its $4k again, yes i will...

iscrog4food

iscrog4food

I will say that since prices have dropped I have not been spending as much time curing. I used to use glass jars but now I have switched to plastic 5 gallon buckits with lids and I really dont notice a difference in taste. Also I trim wet because dry takes wayyyyyyyyy too long. just my .02

B

bentripin

here is how I do it

Trim & cutoff all non sugary leaves, put buds on screen drying racks in cedar drying box I made.. first few days I leave exhaust fan on the box, then I put the exhaust fan on a timer to run for 10 mins twice a day.

After 6-7 days the stems are snapping, I then pull em off the rack.. trim em up to look pretty and put em in jars.. Every 4 days or so I'll give the jars a good shake, open em all up and leave em overnight (8h).. Usally after a few times of doing this I'll wake up and buds will be dry enough to smoke well. Then I seal the jars back up and keep em in a dark/cool place until I am ready to smoke.. at this point I can pull a moist bud out of the jar and leave it out for a couple hours and its ready to burn.

Top Bottom