Combatting High Heavy Metals Testing

• Thread starter FiZZiKKZ
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Teslajuana

Teslajuana

Some kelp is okay IMO depending on the state and testing reasons but the problem is that we are all using concentrated kelp and people often use large amounts when only a shot is needed. You also want to keep cleanliness in mind when purchasing the kelp and also search for certain types of kelp that are sourced in cleaner and colder water. Anything northatlantic is best. You may want to search out animal feed kelp also. I mean no offense to you but the term bioaccumulator is kind of silly. I used to buy into it but in reality all plants and algae are bioaccumulators. Just my two cents but having said that, I would personally only feed the kelp to the soil and not spray on to the plant. The plant will have a harder time uptaking metals so it is another level of defense compared to drenching the plant.
Right most plants are bioaccumulators but kelp is a hyper accumulator that’s just a science fact and if cannabis and hemp are too then science would agree that using one product to supply another wiill contaminate yes? but oceans are full of toxins, metals and mercury and kelp being in a polluted environment is questionable no matter where you get it. North Atlantic seas are driven buy currents which one main current comes to mind is I believe the Gulf Stream, it starts in the Gulf of Mexico then goes eastward around Florida and pumps water to the North Atlantic up north so I’d venture to say gulf kelp is nearly getting the same water as the North Atlantic kelp. Which I’m my opinion is not the cleanest water(oil spills) fuels and exhausts from boats etc) I’d say it’s poisonous but ultimately It’s really up to the grower and his opinion but imo I’d stay away and it has high amounts of mercury just like fish. Just saying no offense to anybody on the thread. Just trying to help discover the high metals issues originally posted in this thread

Last edited:
Homesteader

Homesteader

OMRI certification has been expired since 2017. 🤔 Hope they got an updated one.
I actually don't feed my animals kelp but would if I was closer to the ocean. When I do use kelp for plants though (haven't bought in several years), I get it sourced through fedco. I think maybe the company changed names though so I apologize. Fertrell was it? I think they changed to https://noamkelp.com/ Either way, you can find it if you want the animal nutrition. https://www.fedcoseeds.com/ogs/liquid-kelp-8269
I don't think hyper-accumulator is scientific word. It is coined by environmentalist a couple decades ago. Do some plants take up metals more than others? Of course.
Is a cannabis a hyper accumulator of calcium? Sure I guess. Now how about cadmium? Plants use different levels of fertilizers as well and under certain pH conditions they amplify. Mercury is a problem with certain pelagic fish like tuna and swordfish because they live a long time and consume high amounts of baitfish. Those levels are no where near the ones in kelp unless I am mistaken. A can of tuna I think has 500 times more. The kelp is concentrated though so it must be kept in mind. I think people are using WAY TO MUCH either way but such is the cannabis industry to be honest.

Top Bottom