Combo PH/EC Meter opinions?

• Thread starter true grit
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
true grit

true grit

I've done some searching on the site, but can't find a whole lot of actual experiences with different meters using the search function... just some "I've heard this" or the hydroshop guy recommended this...

So I've been using Raskal's nute schedule with PH'd water for a grow or two in FFOF and have seen solid results, sometimes I over feed a bit but nothing too drastic.

I will be switching to coco for the next grow and controlling the EC is going to much more important in that type of substrate...so instead of buying some more beans this month I need to bite the bullet and buy some equipment.

Bluelab? Hanna? Anybody? I'm looking to spend up to $150 for a reliable meter that is ample for precise PH and EC monitoring or PH/PPM if there are seperate meters that are more accurate and will last more than a year or two. Thanks for the help farmers!

-TG

B

Badmf

Bulletproof Hanna 9813, I have two and have had many many others over the years. Maintains calibration well and is tuff too. Its handheld so you could do outdoor or multiple rooms. Prices have been 120 on Ebay but not recently. Check around and demand a discount, lol.

pimpin

pimpin

strain hoarder
Supporter
hanna on my opinion had mine for about 3 years till my dumb partner lost it

G

greenplanetguru

Hanna 9813-0

I'm with the other guys on the Hanna. I've had various models of 9813's for years. I recently had to replace my last one after it got flakey but this was after using it for 8 years. I found a 9813-0 for $159 w/shipping. They retail for around $200. Here's a link to the place I got one from:

Good Luck!
gpg

true grit

true grit

Thanks guys, I'll start checking in to prices as this is something I'll have to scoop up pretty quick!

L

Lucy Diamond

Nice looking unit....can current users comment on the reliability factor when using Lumatek digital ballast?Do they interfere with the readings?

T

tdk

EC - bluelabs truncheon - comes with a 5 year warranty and it never has to be calibrated. it doesnt get much better than that. ive had mine for about 3 years and i can say its built to last. ive dropped it numerous times. come to think about it, the only things i havent replaced in my room is the truncheon and my brand of nutes(general hydro.)

pH - i always wanted to get a hannah as thats what i was exposed to by the people that taught me the hobby, but the more i read online the more i learned OAKTON was the way to go. ive had mine for about 3 years and its still rockin!

as far as combo meters go, i wouldnt go that route. their upkeep seems so tedious. most meters require u to keep the tips wet in a controlled solution. how are you supposed to keep 2 tips that are almost touching each other in seperate solutions? it seems like an accident waiting to happen. +1 more for the truncheon and zero calibration.

B

Badmf

The Hanna 9813 which also has a newer model, the 9813-6 (adds temp to the deal) has a cap which holds storage solution to keep the tip wet in-between uses. I have two; one indrz and the other waaay outdrz! And if it wasn't mentioned measures PH, EC and TDS.

resinryder

resinryder

EC - bluelabs truncheon - comes with a 5 year warranty and it never has to be calibrated. it doesnt get much better than that. ive had mine for about 3 years and i can say its built to last. ive dropped it numerous times. come to think about it, the only things i havent replaced in my room is the truncheon and my brand of nutes(general hydro.)

Agree 100%. Been using mine since they first became available 3-4 years ago or so. Never have had a problem and have only changed the batteries 3 times with the 3rd just last week. It may cost a few dollars more but well worth it in my opinion. Just be sure to rinse the tip off and dry after every use to wash away any residue.

J

Jalisco Kid

We are a brutal group or they are all crap. I have used euro tech same as oakton by fisherlabs. I have had miliwakkee's ,hanna's and others. I use a hanna combo pen only because my hydro store guy replaces it without questions. I would ask my guy what does he plan on giving every 3-6 months for free. Tell him you will be back for a replacement and do not have time for warranty work. This will make him sell you his best rather then what he makes the most profit on.Just make sure you get enough calibration solution.Mine is supposed to be waterproof. JK

S

sativablast

EC - definatley Bluelabs.

Ive got a milwaukkee PH pen its been working ok for 2 years and I didnt know yur
ment 2 keep the tip wet.

Top Bottom