Commercial Craft Grow

• Thread starter 4plant
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
4plant

4plant

hey all, now that cannabis is legal here in Canada there are some good opportunities for growers but one that I’m really untested in is a “craft grow” license. It will allow the production of 3000ft2 growing space and I believe both online and in store sales similar to a craft brewery. I’ve spoken with large LPs here in Canada who distribute nationwide and are interested in having Kraft growers under their distribution umbrella but after they take their cut i don’t think it would be a great return Probably better to do a really good job stay local and try to build your own brand. Anyways I’m looking for potential partners in southern Ontario as well as any advice from you commercial guys in California and Colorado. Rather than just growing the highest yielding early finishers I’ve always grown interesting sativa’s as well as high CBD plants and would like to try to keep it that way. I’m curious about start up costs as well as dividing up is limited space like that. Any advice or opportunities you guys and girls have would be greatly appreciated limiting mistakes in a small business like that can make all the difference.

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
In a small space like that I think grow racks would be a great option for you. You can have two layers of plants instead of just one. This will effectively double the canopy space for not a lot of money.

I think you’ve got the right idea though. Build your own brand and then you can set your own pricing and shops will contact you. You can build a brand fairly cheap these days if you’re willing to put in the man hours to do it. Social media can be a great resource and source of potential customers for this type of business.

Definately grow things that others are not. Don’t do the gorillas or cookies and carve your own path. You’ll fill a niche and do well for yourself. Those who try and be mainstream usually end up a casualty of corps with big pockets and large advertising budgets.

That being said I wish you luck and if you want to talk grow racks just hit me up. I have a line made specifically for startup grow ops that’s cost effective, versital and can be outfitted with wheels so they are mobile and can be moved. And they cost a fraction of what the large commercial racks run but can hold just as much weight and take the abuse.

rosco23

rosco23

hey all, now that cannabis is legal here in Canada there are some good opportunities for growers but one that I’m really untested in is a “craft grow” license. It will allow the production of 3000ft2 growing space and I believe both online and in store sales similar to a craft brewery. I’ve spoken with large LPs here in Canada who distribute nationwide and are interested in having Kraft growers under their distribution umbrella but after they take their cut i don’t think it would be a great return Probably better to do a really good job stay local and try to build your own brand. Anyways I’m looking for potential partners in southern Ontario as well as any advice from you commercial guys in California and Colorado. Rather than just growing the highest yielding early finishers I’ve always grown interesting sativa’s as well as high CBD plants and would like to try to keep it that way. I’m curious about start up costs as well as dividing up is limited space like that. Any advice or opportunities you guys and girls have would be greatly appreciated limiting mistakes in a small business like that can make all the difference.

think years ahead when making decisions and forecasting. dont invest more than you can afford to lose. i think it sounds like you can be successful. good luck.

4plant

4plant

In a small space like that I think grow racks would be a great option for you. You can have two layers of plants instead of just one. This will effectively double the canopy space for not a lot of money.

I think you’ve got the right idea though. Build your own brand and then you can set your own pricing and shops will contact you. You can build a brand fairly cheap these days if you’re willing to put in the man hours to do it. Social media can be a great resource and source of potential customers for this type of business.

Definately grow things that others are not. Don’t do the gorillas or cookies and carve your own path. You’ll fill a niche and do well for yourself. Those who try and be mainstream usually end up a casualty of corps with big pockets and large advertising budgets.

That being said I wish you luck and if you want to talk grow racks just hit me up. I have a line made specifically for startup grow ops that’s cost effective, versital and can be outfitted with wheels so they are mobile and can be moved. And they cost a fraction of what the large commercial racks run but can hold just as much weight and take the abuse.

Thanks, grow racks are a great idea. Do you use them to flower as well. I’d love to see how that is set up.

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
Yes you can. Just depends on how big you want them. We can make racks upto 12’ tall. Most common size is 8’ tall and even then if you have the shelf 6’ up you have plenty of space under it to grow fairly large plants. Of course it just depends on what you want to do.

The best part is if down the road you decide you need more height we can always sell you longer corner supports to make it taller.

We have some going into a grow here locally shortly and will have more photos available once it’s compete. Would be glad to discuss your options anytime you’re ready.

Freshone

Freshone

I listen to a podcast from BC and the guy was seriously looking into the craft grow license but it was so expensive i think he decided to just throw in with an LP under their umbrella,Best of luck in your venture!

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
Then figure out strains, the real eye candy variety. Purps,/rainbow colors. High cbd crosses.
What I’ve also found is ppl are looking for good bag. Appeal without their super high thc, I’ve had customers ask about the 5-8% thc sativa. Something one can smoke as new user

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
Our small - medium commercial racks start at about $10-12/sqft. Compared to $38/sqft for large commercial racking.

4plant

4plant

I’m going to do some CAD drawings to lay out my space I like end up with 2000 ft.² of flowering room I need is some sort of racking systems in the vegetative room to keep it to 1000 ft.² running through the numbers sounds like two flowering rooms 1000 ft.² each with about 30 tables. still up in the air about lighting to do two DE Gavida per table I’m tempted to do three de 630 CMH per table instead

Freshone

Freshone

Start up cost is 285$ per sqft. Plus lease
Okay what costs are you talking about here?I was referring to the cost of obtaining the license from the government and building out a facility.If your calculation is right thats dirt cheap and every mothers son will be jumping in,3000 ft of canopy would be about $850,000?Thats dirt cheap.Ive seen quotes from surna for just cooling for more than that.
Then figure out strains, the real eye candy variety. Purps,/rainbow colors. High cbd crosses.
What I’ve also found is ppl are looking for good bag. Appeal without their super high thc, I’ve had customers ask about the 5-8% thc sativa. Something one can smoke as new user
Okay im trying to wrap my head around the fact you want to grow low thc weed that looks good?Canadians what are you thinking EH?Just buy good weed and smoke less of it.

If you guys think 285 a sq ft is alot its not at least in the states.Look at JWs post just some accessory racks are 10-12 a sq ft and thats probably one of the cheapest things in a facility.

4plant

4plant

Haha, I know it sounds weird but the market here is so saturated with every kind of kush and glue pheno it’s boring man. It’s like the liquor stores only selling everclear because why waste time drinking wine or beer? The lp I’ve been talking to says they desperately need good cbd rich strains not just low thc . I have a cross that’s been tested at 22%thc 7%cbd.

4plant

4plant

As far as the start up Cost I understand industrial cooling heating humidifying and dehumidifying units are incredibly expensive but with those numbers a 10 x 10 start up cost you $28,000 which I don’t think it is necessarily accurate. I’ve been helping build a successful small business for the last 15 years and what I’ve noticed is keeping an overhead costs low and growing into a full size space is probably a smarter path

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
It’s going to vary based on location. Some states / countries / territories charge more for licensing and provisions. Also geographical location will come into play as far as heating and cooling, electricity, lease, equipment and labor costs. For a grow this size though it shouldn’t be too bad overall if you are cost conscious and utilize the space to its best efficiency.

And the cost of 10-12/sqft isn’t for “accessory racks” they are full fledged commercial vertical grow racking. Each rack can hold up to 13,000lbs and 2000lbs per shelf. So it’s not small time by any means but cost effective for startups and smaller scale growers looking to better utilize their space by having 2 or 3 layers of plants in the same area. They can also be outfitted with track based mobility systems (if your budget allows for it) or a more cost effective caster wheel option (depending on overall size and weight).

I’ve got a 10,000 sqft grower set to take delivery in early to mid January of his and he got multiple quotes from other companies and we are able to provide ours which is 3-4x stronger and scalable for the same price as their cheap wire racks. That’s a pretty great value imo considering it’s comparing apple to oranges in terms of durability, build quality, mobility and ease of use. Our racks assemble in minutes and can be reconfigured in seconds.

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
Okay what costs are you talking about here?I was referring to the cost of obtaining the license from the government and building out a facility.If your calculation is right thats dirt cheap and every mothers son will be jumping in,3000 ft of canopy would be about $850,000?Thats dirt cheap.Ive seen quotes from surna for just cooling for more than that.

Okay im trying to wrap my head around the fact you want to grow low thc weed that looks good?Canadians what are you thinking EH?Just buy good weed and smoke less of it.

If you guys think 285 a sq ft is alot its not at least in the states.Look at JWs post just some accessory racks are 10-12 a sq ft and thats probably one of the cheapest things in a facility.
Licenses is the cost I was referencing, that’s what it costs in Cali for commercial application. Then add leases and lights etc can go into the 1-2mil range to get up and going. Min license costs for max production size of 1 acre of actual grow.

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
Our size just to show what it cost, has been 22mil in 2 years to get to a point where we are now profitable. The ffin greedy government costs keep going up. Heck we have our own well, guess what, now they want us to pay a “PUC” tax, public utilities commission tax, wtf 12% on per gallon tax applied per gallon at market costs? Shit just keeps adding up and it’s a wonder why we won’t see cooperations swallow this industry and make a monochromatic product like apples. I much rather go back to the times of medical grows.

4plant

4plant

Oh ok, I’ve hear in Cali it’s crazy expensive $79000 annually so only 1% of growers are licensed? Not expecting that here my biggest concern is getting running quickly and efficiently because it’s going to take roughly 6 months to get a harvest in that’s been properly finished, dried and cured.

Top Bottom