Commercial grade A/C unit

• Thread starter Sunshinegrower
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

Sunshinegrower

What would be the best commercial grade A/C unit on the market with the best seer rating? Has anyone tackled removing the compressor and mounting it remotely? I have seen a company that does this, but their gear is not the best. How bad is it on your A/C unit by using something that is over sized? I would like to have room to grow on my A/C. I'm looking for 2 stage 5 ton. With running a 2 stage is that basically like running it at 3 tons and running it at 5 tons? Any pictures would be great if someone has made their own.

Thanks!!

squarepusher

squarepusher

for cost, i would just get a normal standard house one, they are fairly cheap

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

What would be the best commercial grade A/C unit on the market with the best seer rating? Has anyone tackled removing the compressor and mounting it remotely? I have seen a company that does this, but their gear is not the best. How bad is it on your A/C unit by using something that is over sized? I would like to have room to grow on my A/C. I'm looking for 2 stage 5 ton. With running a 2 stage is that basically like running it at 3 tons and running it at 5 tons? Any pictures would be great if someone has made their own.

Thanks!!

Oversizing by too much is bad except for inverter type units (which are currently available on in mini splits). You will do damage in a short period of time. Trane makes good units. Also if you want a 2 stage unit you will most likely only get that in residential. As far as the 2 stage tonnage question goes the answer is depends on maker of unit. Don't use 2 speed in commercial market. I am a commercial HVAC tech by the way.

N

Nesta B

Hey Canna J I'm also thinking about a 3.5 ton ac quick connect system. I want to run 4k adjust a-wing with a hydrogen pro co2 system, and a 70 pint dehumidifier. By my calculation I'm putting off 36,000 btu, so I think this should be enough. Do you have any suggestions for me?

N

Nesta B

Thanks for the reply Seed Buyer, my math obviously sucks. Now I'm thinking 2.5 ton so I can have room for expansion. I saw one online from global industries. Has anyone used their ac quick connect system before?

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

Thanks for the reply Seed Buyer, my math obviously sucks. Now I'm thinking 2.5 ton so I can have room for expansion. I saw one online from global industries. Has anyone used their ac quick connect system before?

2 tons should work but there variables I don't know that could change it plus you need to worry about worst case scenario as far as weather goes. Get a 3 ton if you are expanding in near future and have high temps that hit 90F plus. The extra ton should do 2 more 1kw lights. Best of luck. Also quick connect does not me you can run right out of box without evacuating lineset and evaporator. Quick connect could just mean flare nuts which can and will leak. Be careful.

N

Nesta B

High Canna J thanks for the response. These quick connect systems come pre charged so they are do-it-yourself systems.

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

High Canna J thanks for the response. These quick connect systems come pre charged so they are do-it-yourself systems.

Only if lineset and evap have refrigerant in them and both are sealed. Seals would be broken upon attachment. A bunch of manufacturers say they are do-it-yourself but need to be evacuated with vacuum pump.

blazer

blazer

Would recommend to going With a more known brand like fujitsu, sanyo,mitsubishi like cannabisjohn was saying they market it as a do it yourself but if want it done right evacuate The system. Any air or contaminant will cause you problems.

S

Seed Buyer

CannabisJohn....how do you feel about purging mini split line sets instead of vacuuming out? The first mini split I ever had (Friedrich about 5 years ago) I purged out and never had a problem. When I called their tech department for help they nearly ripped me a new a-hole for mentioning the idea of purging.

N

Nesta B

Good news, I just got off the phone with a tech guy from http://www.globalindustrial.com/ and they say the lines are evacuated and charge ready to go. The flare nut are metal and they have never heard of them cracking, also I live in the where it can reach twenty below which was a concern to me, they claim the system runs under any temperature. If in fact these are good they may have cornered the market for AC because of the prices. Any thoughts?

blazer

blazer

.yes you are correct all components should be pre-charged and pop the seals when you tighten connections theese tend be lesser units in longevity some mobile home units are that way and work good for years but odds you tend to have more probs(possible service call!) Stick to name brand and you will be much more satisfied with the investment!

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn....how do you feel about purging mini split line sets instead of vacuuming out? The first mini split I ever had (Friedrich about 5 years ago) I purged out and never had a problem. When I called their tech department for help they nearly ripped me a new a-hole for mentioning the idea of purging.

Purging is illegal throughout the world. If not done perfect you are left with air in system or short on refrigerant. In US it could be a $25k fine if caught. I know chances are slim of getting caught.

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

Good news, I just got off the phone with a tech guy from http://www.globalindustrial.com/ and they say the lines are evacuated and charge ready to go. The flare nut are metal and they have never heard of them cracking, also I live in the where it can reach twenty below which was a concern to me, they claim the system runs under any temperature. If in fact these are good they may have cornered the market for AC because of the prices. Any thoughts?

The tech support guys will say what they need to, especially if you mentioned that you had not bought the unit yet. I doubt that you will get cooling from 95% of the units out there at -20F without a lot of accessories. Best of luck but don't believe everything tech support tells you.

C

Chillville

Premium Member
Supporter
ChillKing is the only company in the hydro industry offering a true commercial a/c unit. CJohn is right, I've never seen a commercial unit over 13 seer which is odd to me. Seems like the more a/c you need the more money you can save on a high efficiency model. The commercial unit from CK is a self contained, meaning it has the blower, evaporator, condenser, and condenser fan in the same box. No freon to deal with at all, just hook up your in and out ducting straight to the a/c. They are around $5k. CK also offers a split package like you talk about but its more expensive than you mentioned...but it does come with a 10 yr warranty.

ttystikk

ttystikk

Having done a lot of math, and checked out a lot of units, I'd like to add my two cents; Having gone through the process of designing and engineering my own cooling plant, plus building out a water cooled system, I can honestly say that it's the best application for cooling indoor gardens, for several reasons:

1. You will have a LOT more trouble trying to route cold air around where you want it than you will with water. Two hoses, an Iceflow box and fan, DONE. That cools up to four vented hoods... in other words, plenty.

2. Cooling with water is more efficient than air. Less thermal mass in the air means less efficiency, period. This goes double when working in dry climates or with dry winter air, and TRIPLE for high altitude applications. IMHO, no one in Colorado should be touching AC with a 10 pole... for anything.

3. I've never seen an AC unit that will chill water for hydro systems. Ever.

4. Water cooling, like AC, can be set up to effectively deal with humidity issues. It's easy, really easy.

5. If you plan to expand, then getting another water chiller usually isn't necessary. If your chiller is up to the job of running one bloom room and the rest of your setup (veg room, hydro systems, etc), then build another bloom room on the flip, and Voila!- you've just doubled your growing capacity without having to buy more cooling.

6. All the freon is contained within the chiller unit; you NEVER need to get involved with it unless you break your chiller.

7. Running an outside water cooling circuit to help save power, and/or putting your chiller inside for the winter to help heat your home are very real, indeed easy to implement options for chillers, but NOT with AC.

I know the current conventional wisdom says 'minisplits are where it's at!', but having done the math and done the build, I have to say that chillers are just plain better. FWIW

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

Having done a lot of math, and checked out a lot of units, I'd like to add my two cents; Having gone through the process of designing and engineering my own cooling plant, plus building out a water cooled system, I can honestly say that it's the best application for cooling indoor gardens, for several reasons:

1. You will have a LOT more trouble trying to route cold air around where you want it than you will with water. Two hoses, an Iceflow box and fan, DONE. That cools up to four vented hoods... in other words, plenty.

2. Cooling with water is more efficient than air. Less thermal mass in the air means less efficiency, period. This goes double when working in dry climates or with dry winter air, and TRIPLE for high altitude applications. IMHO, no one in Colorado should be touching AC with a 10 pole... for anything.

3. I've never seen an AC unit that will chill water for hydro systems. Ever.

4. Water cooling, like AC, can be set up to effectively deal with humidity issues. It's easy, really easy.

5. If you plan to expand, then getting another water chiller usually isn't necessary. If your chiller is up to the job of running one bloom room and the rest of your setup (veg room, hydro systems, etc), then build another bloom room on the flip, and Voila!- you've just doubled your growing capacity without having to buy more cooling.

6. All the freon is contained within the chiller unit; you NEVER need to get involved with it unless you break your chiller.

7. Running an outside water cooling circuit to help save power, and/or putting your chiller inside for the winter to help heat your home are very real, indeed easy to implement options for chillers, but NOT with AC.

I know the current conventional wisdom says 'minisplits are where it's at!', but having done the math and done the build, I have to say that chillers are just plain better. FWIW

I agree with all of ur points. I believe all methods of cooling ur room have a place in this business. Some people don't want more water in their room.

N

noone88

Water-cooled units are good for cold winter, low humidity areas (Colorado, Canada). Especially if you have access to well water or a swimming pool. You can do some pretty crazy stuff if you have the time and the tubing for it.

But as for ease, you can't beat a mini-split, particularly the self-install ones. I actually recommend running multiple mini splits instead of a residential/commercial AC units because you don't have to install any ducting and vents. If you're running CO2 using propane tanks, the air pressure is almost exactly perfect that 2x20 pound tanks lasts me 6 weeks versus 1 week when using a traditional AC. Lastly, the inverter technology is the icing on the cake. Set it and forget it.

Partially deleted post by moderator: Off topic discussion

Top Bottom