Commercial Set Up

• Thread starter VIG
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
V

VIG

I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction concerning what it takes (as itemized as possible) to set up a commercial grow in approximately a 20K square foot space. Quite frankly, I will not be growing myself. Rather, I will be acquiring property and outfitting the pre-existing structure with all pertinent FF&E's (furniture, fixtures and equipment) for a successful grow op. I do have previous grow experience, just nothing of this magnitude, hence the need for help.

One of the final pieces I must complete is to draft a spreadsheet itemizing what is necessary in a commercial grow. This is so I may break it down to the cost per square foot to ensure the numbers I am estimating for my business make sense. Ultimately, I will be leasing the properties to experienced head growers.

Any input or direction anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated.

~VIG

The Terps

The Terps

This site caters to individuals trying to better their own cannabis gardens I highly doubt your going to find someone here to do a business plan for you free of charge. If I may be so bold... it's companies like the one you describe that are ruining the industry. And the reason I state that opinion isn't because I'm sour or being undercut or whatever. Rather that if you are building something for someone else with your specs or really lack of, and you had past grow experience you'd think you'd want your tenenants/experienced head growers to be able use their past experience to optimize the space for their vision not yours. especially when you think of how many different types of equipment and grow style and individual needs vary so greatly.
In short your post comes across as someone who without the required experience is just trying to make some premium priced rent at the expense of a mom and pop grower but I don't know, all is fair though and hopefully it works out for you.

iKharon

iKharon

I thought the same thing.. who in their right mind is going to "crunch the numbers" on this scale?! Your "growers" should have full control over this aspect.. they know what space they need and how to optimize said space. You would need to pay someone for business plan. You also need to leave that to your growers. Though, I tend to agree with the Terps on this one..

V

VIG

If your head grower cannot address this issue for you, then you need a new head grower...
This site caters to individuals trying to better their own cannabis gardens I highly doubt your going to find someone here to do a business plan for you free of charge. If I may be so bold... it's companies like the one you describe that are ruining the industry. And the reason I state that opinion isn't because I'm sour or being undercut or whatever. Rather that if you are building something for someone else with your specs or really lack of, and you had past grow experience you'd think you'd want your tenenants/experienced head growers to be able use their past experience to optimize the space for their vision not yours. especially when you think of how many different types of equipment and grow style and individual needs vary so greatly.
In short your post comes across as someone who without the required experience is just trying to make some premium priced rent at the expense of a mom and pop grower but I don't know, all is fair though and hopefully it works out for you.

I apologize for any confusion, I'm not asking anyone to write a biz plan for me. I am savvy enough to know that marijuana set ups are much different for larger/commercial sized grows opposed to smaller indoor grows. I will also most definitely have the head grower spec out the building to their liking. However, before I jump in to this head first I was simply trying to have a rough idea of what would go in a 20K square ft grow facility. (So that I may estimate the cost per square foot)

My experience as a grower was only in a 1K Sq ft place where I had 40 plants on perpetual harvest. Set up was a room for my two mothers and clones, a veg room and then my flower room. My medium was 6 inch cubes set to flood and drain. Lights were tricky as I started with led but resorted back to HPS after I wasn't satisfied with the results of led's (this was a few years back...led has come quite far since then). One large carbon filter is all that was required with some 6" ducting and a few fans.

So again, I'm just trying to get a rough idea as to how to appropriately outfit a commercial grow facility of the aforementioned magnitude.

As for mom and pop grows and those willing to up their game, they stand to make a pretty penny along the way as well with facilities such as this one. I'm confident that anyone in the industry and growing beyond their personal use are looking to make a profit. In fact, there are several articles all over the web supporting that statement.

I suppose I just figured I'd throw out an honest inquiry to gain a bit more insight regarding a commercial grow facility. Thanks for all your help.

iKharon

iKharon

Anyone that grows good fire bud (better than dispensaries) hasn't sold out because they make more money black market. Why grow for you, make $75k per year and on your terms and schedule, if said person can make that per HARVEST, on their own schedule etc. why let you get richer than me off MY product. Doesn't add up.

sixstring

sixstring

My 3000 sq ft grow in a 5000 sq ft warehouse roughly 75000 to build out and furnish
45 gavitas 20k ton of air
Doesn't include veg room
Or rent
Hb
easy based on these figures you will need 450,000 and you still wont have a veg room lmao.man theres 2 or 3 of these threads going here now,its like they never read 1 thread on the site haha.

Mr.GoodCat

Mr.GoodCat

Like Baba G said these are all items a head grower should be very well educated in. If you are outfitting a 20k sf warehouse buildout you looking at northwards of a million bucks if you're going to utilize all the space. You're looking at up to 800 lights. I would assume spending that much money and time you would want to hire a consultant and not really on internet posts. Just my 2 cents.

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

easy based on these figures you will need 450,000 and you still wont have a veg room lmao.man theres 2 or 3 of these threads going here now,its like they never read 1 thread on the site haha.
So what is your credit score? Hopefully 850 cause you gonna need some money me thinks... are you could just realize that you probably have at least another year of analysis on YOUR business model answering the questions you still have. Learning to calculate how much ac you need to cool 35 gavitas probably is a good place to start. 12k for Commercial AC for starters... and that's probably a low figure. ..

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

Like Baba G said these are all items a head grower should be very well educated in. If you are outfitting a 20k sf warehouse buildout you looking at northwards of a million bucks if you're going to utilize all the space. You're looking at up to 800 lights. I would assume spending that much money and time you would want to hire a consultant and not really on internet posts. Just my 2 cents.
40k a month in electric.. shiiiiiiiiit...
I think op did grow some dank! That kush dreamer dank.. ...............

icanfarm

icanfarm

If you find a qualified farmer you need to let them figure out what you'll need. pay them for there time while doing it when they give you the numbers and you have paid fees inspection ect.... you give the farmer the amount of money asked for then you get out of the way or help with shedualing or some other task while said farmer designs builds and grows your buisness if the farmer tell you there are areas he isn't up to speed on like ac and electrical ect then you must pay for the professional in a grow that size if you cobble it together it won't be functioning at its potential and your pissing money away and like fast with the kind of juice a grow like that will pull pay for top notch consultants and gear or don't waste your time jmho

Last edited:
icanfarm

icanfarm

Your going to spend a few grand just in dehumidifiers hell probably a grand or so just on wall fans . The electrical to put in professional is going to cost a ton .I as almost every one who has commented on this has said your making your first mistake by trying to glean the information out of forums best to do your own home work when talking those kinds of numbers

souf69

souf69

The real question you should be asking is do I really want to do this? Large setups indoor are really nice! Especially if you have a great indoor grower, hence the electric bill, but man if grow some schwag as shit its even worse. Think about possibly losing a half a mill in a year or less. Its more about efficiency! How many plants in a large building? Heating, cooling. A grower of certain caliber could fill that building with as little as 99 plants or less. Then again another grower will do a thousand plants. Sh!ts cray like that man. Security? Fuck i quit already......

ShastaCanna

ShastaCanna

Start by figuring out the lights you want. Find the average footprint of said light. Let's say 25sqft per light. Add space for walkways and other things (California law is something like 3 feet wide?). Thats a SHIT load of lights....your other concern should be the amperage. Each light pulling 3-5amps. My 1000 DE Gavitas come out to $75/light only per month.

Room Area BTU = L x W x 40 ( H=8FT add 5btu per extra foot)
Equipment BTU = Total wattage for equipment x 3.5
Ballasts in room BTU = ballast wattage/2 x 3.5
Lighting BTU = Total wattage for lighting x 4 ( 4 1000w = 16000btu) or 4000btu per light

15 x 1000w = 15,000watts
15,000w x 3.5 = 52,000 BTU cooling required for lights
15,000 / 2 x 3.5 = 26,250 BTU from ballasts
TOTAL BTU required = 78,250 for 15 flower lights on 12/12 schedule

Top Bottom