Commercialization of Cannabis

• Thread starter GR33NL3AF
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
GR33NL3AF

GR33NL3AF

I'd like to continue this debate because I feel the position I am in gives me a glimpse into the future on this Industry, our industry. I need to be completely blunt in saying I grow for profit and this thread will be directed at those other individuals that grow for profit. Yes, I enjoy drawing, engineering and gardening in my rooms but the fact remains I do it for profit.

Now, in the last couple of months the amount of individuals building 100 light rooms grew substantially and the 1000 light setups are lurking as well. So much so, I don't see profit to be had from home growing, even running 20-30 lights, UNLESS, you're setup as a vendor or running a delivery service with loyal customers. Then you may be able to tread water for a few additional years.

I'd like to drag in few people that replied to my comments in the 'Funky Town' thread...

GR33NL3AF

GR33NL3AF

That's your problem right there.
Let me be as clear as possible... It's not MY problem.
Profit? For most of us, home growing isn't about profit, it's about quality bud for personal consumption!
That's just not true. The average American can't afford to power HID lights for personal consumption.
Not all of those 1000 lighters will be profitable and successful. Some will, some won't. Some will have good product, some won't.

Believe me, some of these larger producers cost of production per unit is not that good. Personally, I've been planning on the indoor market eventually going to $2 per gram wholesale and some of these guys cost to produce isn't even there yet. At least that's been my experience, I know that's not everyone out there.

TK, thanks for putting this thread out there. Good work!
I agree, however, they will fail because of competition..
I make a profit, if you have more than two lights your most likely make a nice one. You keep selling by growing better nuggets and having a selection. So to say the "home Grower" is dead is not true, its alive and getting better than ever.
Never said it was dead, simply, in the near future profit margins in selling supplies to the home grower will be non existent and Lowes/Home Depot will add an isle to there stores.

R

redlife215

I was saying the same thing in a few threads yesterday, legalization is taking weed out of the regular farmers hands and putting it into big corporations hands. I'd rather just have it decriminalized so the reg farmers can still survive. What's gonna happen to all the mom and pop growers in norcal that literally live off marijuana and have their whole adult life? And anybody that doesn't have millions of dollars won't be able to make any money in the future if weed goes 100 percent legal. Fuck Obama and fuck legalization. Imagine trYing to grow tobacco to make money off of cigarettes, cus that's what it will be like for weed too in 5 years or less if we keep popping out legal states and that ducking sucks

GR33NL3AF

GR33NL3AF

I was saying the same thing in a few threads yesterday, legalization is taking weed out of the regular farmers hands and putting it into big corporations hands. I'd rather just have it decriminalized so the reg farmers can still survive. What's gonna happen to all the mom and pop growers in norcal that literally live off marijuana and have their whole adult life? And anybody that doesn't have millions of dollars won't be able to make any money in the future if weed goes 100 percent legal. Fuck Obama and fuck legalization. Imagine trYing to grow tobacco to make money off of cigarettes, cus that's what it will be like for weed too in 5 years or less if we keep popping out legal states and that ducking sucks
That's correct Redlife! It will be exactly like growing tobacco or (from what I'm hearing) even grapes.

WalterWhiteFire

WalterWhiteFire

There are 5-6 rec dispensaries in my area I just go in there for a laugh. And these are established big boys in the med game since the beginning. Bring on the compition cuz I haven't seen any yet. Flooding the market with gross cheap weed just makes my luxury herbs even more valuable.

sanvanalona

sanvanalona

I just wrote an article about the future of cultivation and my thesis is that all indoor horticulture will cease within five years and light deprivation will take over. I even grew og in light dep and had it tested by steephill labs and it hit 23 percent, then I took 5 different indoor og tested from harborside and they averaged 23, then five samples of indoor og from elemental wellness and they averaged 22.8 percent. So along with the thc being in tact, the light dep has a more intense terp profile. The biggest difference is I used no artificial lights and produced the og at 25 dollars per unit! Trust me those thousand lighters don't have too much time left before cannabis starts being produced like every other plant commodity by being grown in the least expensive and most productive way. IMO

QLTYlab

QLTYlab

That's just not true. The average American can't afford to power HID lights for personal consumption.

Never said it was dead, simply, in the near future profit margins in selling supplies to the home grower will be non existent and Lowes/Home Depot will add an isle to there stores.

It is your problem because you think the goal of every home grower is to profit and its flat out wrong. Also strongly disagree that the average American can't afford to power HID lights. Growing for personal consumption is insanely cheap when done right and efficient. Plus you are again assuming HID lights is what all home growers will use for years to come, also not true. You are making baseless claims as if they are industry trends in a still highly criminalized industry. This thread is laughable. I can make just as many arguments that the margins for the commercial growers will be sliced dramatically and there won't be any room for much profit except for the select few that blow it up with the best exclusive genetics. There is no way to predict what will happen with this industry, it is not like any other product or commodity on the market period. All these 1000 light grows on the sidelines you speak of could tank and lose millions just as easy as they could make millions and change the industry.

QLTYlab

QLTYlab

I just wrote an article about the future of cultivation and my thesis is that all indoor horticulture will cease within five years and light deprivation will take over. I even grew og in light dep and had it tested by steephill labs and it hit 23 percent, then I took 5 different indoor og tested from harborside and they averaged 23, then five samples of indoor og from elemental wellness and they averaged 22.8 percent. So along with the thc being in tact, the light dep has a more intense terp profile. The biggest difference is I used no artificial lights and produced the og at 25 dollars per unit! Trust me those thousand lighters don't have too much time left before cannabis starts being produced like every other plant commodity by being grown in the least expensive and most productive way. IMO

This is the first prediction i can mostly get behind. Light dep will be a major part of the future imo. There will still be some indoor though for the very high end strains that require very picky environmental conditions.

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

Green,I wrote a response yesterday but did not post it as i didnt want to jack TKs thread,With all due respect I also disagree with your analogy,
Let me phrase it differently then.... On a retail perspective the amount of money to be made from 'home grower's' is shrinking...

Your company better hope not green because that market(home growers/small cash croppers) is what got them to where they are today and the commercial guys will not save you,just the opposite,they will throw you under the bus and go direct to the manufacturer/distributor and cut the middlemen right out of the deal if you dont jump when they say jump(give them the price they want).No matter how good a relationship you have with a manufacturer they will kick sand in your face if the moneys right and the big boys have the money to do it.Your clients buying large amounts will eventually set up holding companies to buy all their needed equipment through,they will not allow middlemen(retailers,wholesalers) to make money on their backs,even 1 or 2 or 3% savings is big money to them but not enough margin for your company to survive on.You never bite the hand that feeds you green and MG would be very wise to keep that in mind and remember the little guys that got them there.

A fraction of our commercial clients are building 1000 light setups, this market will be so heavily saturated in 2-3 years how could any home grower expect to profit?

You will profit by growing your own vs. buying from a corporation for 5Xs as much and 1/2 the quality.Like we see happening with GMO foods a good percentage of people want to know what goes into their bodies nowadays and with homegrowing you know this.The argument that its too expensive is rediculous,for starters its pretty cheap to grow outdoor/greenhouse and even running a 1k is cheap compared to buying dispo weed and you can easily yield an elbow every 60 days,more than plenty for a couple people.I still grow a vegetable garden even though its alot of work and probably doesnt save me a ton of money but its a better product and i know whats in it,most peeps on this site are gardeners at heart and enjoy the self reliance of doing it yourself.If it is ever truly legalized everyone will have a few trees in their yard and the ones who will lose their ass is the big guys,little guys will just keep on trucking like they have since well before you were born.

Stalks

Stalks

Luckily for me legality is far far away and prices haven been fucked with. 4k a unit is a steal in my woods

R

redlife215

I find it funny that people really think their homegrown is gonna really be that much better then what the corps can. They will pay master growers/botanists to grow bomb ass weed all diff top quality strains in huge greenhouses like in Colorado. When u have a limitless amount of money it's not hard to produce grade a herb, believe me I barely even try and I produce bomb herb. It's in the genetics mostly the plant will grow it's self, don't give u r selves too much credit lol

R

redlife215

O and wwf the reason the weed in the dispensarit's in u r area are stocking shit weed is because the demand is more then the supply, when it's 100 percent fed legal that won't be an issue anymore and shit herb won't sell like it does now. And that is real shit

Bull Trout

Bull Trout

The average american can afford to buy herb at inflated taxed price levels but not run a 400w set up for a few months a year?

Costco is on the action.

GR33NL3AF

GR33NL3AF

Let me be clear about my posts in relation to my job. I'm not saying we only strive for commercial clients, I have a TON of home growers I cater to daily and they are the building blocks to our company and as long a they have a demand for products I will continue to serve them. All I'm offering is insight to what I see daily and the increase in our commercial clientele because most people here don't see what I do.

You're all welcome to your opinion and I, mine.

I also agree that half our clients have NO idea what they're doing and will most likely fail but the corporations hiring engineers, scientist and top notch botanists will take a large piece of the pie and THESE are the guys we're selling 1000 lights to.

midwestdensies

midwestdensies

O and wwf the reason the weed in the dispensarit's in u r area are stocking shit weed is because the demand is more then the supply, when it's 100 percent fed legal that won't be an issue anymore and shit herb won't sell like it does now. And that is real shit
You ever been to Colorado? Dude it's all shit herb

R

redlife215

Why is it shit tho? Because anybody can sell their shit herb there because there is more demand then supply, but when it becomes federally legal then the door open for big business and big corporations to start up their grows. That's my whole point not state laws but federal legalization will be a bad thing for any grower that doesn't have a botany or horticulture degree and financed by Phillip Morris or some other big company

WalterWhiteFire

WalterWhiteFire

Why is it shit tho? Because anybody can sell their shit herb there because there is more demand then supply, but when it becomes federally legal then the door open for big business and big corporations to start up their grows. That's my whole point not state laws but federal legalization will be a bad thing for any grower that doesn't have a botany or horticulture degree and financed by Phillip Morris or some other big company
Not in my area, we are well supplied for the demand. Prolly over supplied. It's just when you replace love and nurturing with number crunching and bottom lines the quality goes waaaaay down. I think it's just hard to grow that pure fire on that scale.

Top Bottom