Compacted Soil - Drainage Issue

• Thread starter Pandaman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
P

Pandaman

Question for my fellow Dirt Munchers out there...

The soil in my Smart Pots has slowly compacted since the last transplant and it seems to be draining in odd places. Although the plants are very healthy right now, it's obvious my technique needs improvement.

I used to water slowly with the Sprinkler Head on my watering can... That sprinkler got chucked after my back screamed at me for the 100th time. Now i use the "Pour" spout and let the water hit the soil harder.

Is this how I compacted the soil? Does compacting just happen as time goes by?

BTW, I'm using FF Ocean Soil

Peace

O

Oregonic

I have noticed the same thing running just FFOF. It was really bad when the girls were in 1gal bags got a little better in round pots but still seems way to packed. I hear a good way to go is 1/2 FFOF and 1/2 light warrior, but have never tried it so take that for what its worth ;)

I have used the FFOF on my last 3 grows and I think I am gonna try out some roots organic I checked it out at the store and diggin the way it feels. Still have love for the fox farm, just good to try new things.

Mulching the top inch or so seemed to help things , just my $.02

P

Pandaman

I have noticed the same thing running just FFOF. It was really bad when the girls were in 1gal bags got a little better in round pots but still seems way to packed. I hear a good way to go is 1/2 FFOF and 1/2 light warrior, but have never tried it so take that for what its worth ;)

I have used the FFOF on my last 3 grows and I think I am gonna try out some roots organic I checked it out at the store and diggin the way it feels. Still have love for the fox farm, just good to try new things.

Mulching the top inch or so seemed to help things , just my $.02

Much appreciated Oregonic! I remember reading about that too... Somewhere (many places?).

Think I will try the half and half. My Smart Pots dry SUPER quick, I'll just have to pay extra attention to my watering schedule.

R

Radio_Dread

yeah currently i am using roots organic and it seems to drain great in all size pots.

M

miser66

Just add more perlite... FFOF always needs to be cut with at least more perlite anwyays.

P

Pandaman

yeah currently i am using roots organic and it seems to drain great in all size pots.

Since I'm growing different strains, I could give the Roots Organic a try and see how I like it, thanks.

Just add more perlite... FFOF always needs to be cut with at least more perlite anwyays.

What would be the ratio that you would use? Like 75% FFOF and 25% Pearlite? Thanks.

C

CAPO

I like to cut mine with 1/3 perlite and throw some wc's in as well. The roots love me!
I gro in 7 gal smart pots, the root mass on my CVK's have just taken over. Try watering a liter at a time, I give each of them a drink in succession until they are full. I keep my nutes dialed and have no problems without having run-off.

O

Oregonic

Hey pandaman how your roots lookin? Before my flush I let them dry out a bit and took a peek. I can say I am not happy with my root production in the straight FFOF, just seems weak IMHO.

justiceman

justiceman

I used roots organics soil on my last run, and the run before that I used FFOF cut with perlite. Roots is definitely a better out of the bag soil with more aeration then FFOF however it still slightly compacted for me and it held to much water in my opinion however it produced some pretty nice stuff. Roots organics grow on my journal link below.

I also believe that FFOF is higher in N then Roots is. If you look at the Roots Organics soil ingredients it has primarily P containing products. Some say roots is a better flowering soil and FF is a better vegging soil. I am thinking about trying a veg with FFOF and then transplanting into Roots for flower some time.

Soil does naturally compact over time though especially when roots start to get constricted and take up the space. Adding extra perlite helps in getting oxygen to the roots even if it looks compacted. I do believe that letting the water hit the soil harder definitely aids in compaction over time. You can just try that spout you have but water slowly. Oregonic's mulching idea is also not a bad idea at all. It might tear up some tiny roots as some tend to grow too the top sometimes but its probably worth it if you start seeing bad problems.

hotRod

hotRod

like capo and miser66 said
cut it with perlite

the perlite really fluffs things
roots love that extra oxygen also

P

Pandaman

This is why this Farm rocks, tons of great advice! :)

I like to cut mine with 1/3 perlite and throw some wc's in as well. The roots love me!
I gro in 7 gal smart pots, the root mass on my CVK's have just taken over. Try watering a liter at a time, I give each of them a drink in succession until they are full. I keep my nutes dialed and have no problems without having run-off.

wc's? Wow, 7gal Smart Pots? Nice! How big do your babies get? I should water slower.

Hey pandaman how your roots lookin? Before my flush I let them dry out a bit and took a peek. I can say I am not happy with my root production in the straight FFOF, just seems weak IMHO.

You know, other than the last transplant, I haven't looked at the roots. Too scared of not being able to put the Smart Pot (Fabric) back on without hurting the roots. My Green Crack will be cut down no later than this Sunday, I'll let you know then with a picture :)

Bottom feed to fully hydrate the soil.

Cheers

Funny you mention this! Apparently my roommate has been doing this since the drainage issue began. She just waters till she starts to see the drip-tray start to fill and slows down till it gets to the top. She leaves it alone and she says the water gets sucked back into the pot within 10-15 minutes. Great advice man!

I used roots organics soil on my last run, and the run before that I used FFOF cut with perlite. Roots is definitely a better out of the bag soil with more aeration then FFOF however it still slightly compacted for me and it held to much water in my opinion however it produced some pretty nice stuff. Roots organics grow on my journal link below.

I also believe that FFOF is higher in N then Roots is. If you look at the Roots Organics soil ingredients it has primarily P containing products. Some say roots is a better flowering soil and FF is a better vegging soil. I am thinking about trying a veg with FFOF and then transplanting into Roots for flower some time.

Soil does naturally compact over time though especially when roots start to get constricted and take up the space. Adding extra perlite helps in getting oxygen to the roots even if it looks compacted. I do believe that letting the water hit the soil harder definitely aids in compaction over time. You can just try that spout you have but water slowly. Oregonic's mulching idea is also not a bad idea at all. It might tear up some tiny roots as some tend to grow too the top sometimes but its probably worth it if you start seeing bad problems.

You're right, and great advice man, thanks. I think I'll get a bag of Light Warrior and Roots Organic and some Pearlite. Mix it up a bit and see what works best for my style of grow.

Thanks for all the great advice and help... DIRT MUNCHERS! HAHAHA!

Peace

R

robbiedublu

I don't believe that the compaction you are noticing in FFOF is significant in any way that will affect root growth in a pot. There may be other good reasons to add drainage materials to your grow medium however.

C

CAPO

yep..I knew my CVK's were gonna get huge so I grabbed the 7gal SP's. I can only fit 4 under a vertizontal 1K. They are 5' tall and just finished with the stretch, I pinched many times and they are real bushy.
Honestly, I would rather have 9 smaller bushes under 1 light in 5 gal SP's. This is a seed grow for the entire garden so I had to do a lot of juggling and improvising.
All my plants including the 5 and 7's are bone dry everyday an hour after lights on.
If I had it to do over I would have put the CVK's in 10 gal SP's in hot water heater trays!

M

MASSES 420KING

add 20 percent perlite or if to late stick a meter probe in medium all over top and in bottom holes to help air get to roots and help dry out medium thats always worked for me

P

Pandaman

I don't believe that the compaction you are noticing in FFOF is significant in any way that will affect root growth in a pot. There may be other good reasons to add drainage materials to your grow medium however.

I guess this is the stuff that can't really be learned in text alone. The plants are looking well so I can't complain. Although, in my observations I see that the soil hardens up as time goes by and when I water, I see certain areas that take longer than others to soak it in. I know I waited a bit long to put these in flower, they had a 7 week vege. Perhaps another transplant into a larger pot was in order. The Smart Pots encourage a different style of root growth as opposed to a conventional Hard Pot. Only thing I can do is try different things and learn from my observations.

yep..I knew my CVK's were gonna get huge so I grabbed the 7gal SP's. I can only fit 4 under a vertizontal 1K. They are 5' tall and just finished with the stretch, I pinched many times and they are real bushy.
Honestly, I would rather have 9 smaller bushes under 1 light in 5 gal SP's. This is a seed grow for the entire garden so I had to do a lot of juggling and improvising.
All my plants including the 5 and 7's are bone dry everyday an hour after lights on.
If I had it to do over I would have put the CVK's in 10 gal SP's in hot water heater trays!

Sounds like you have a plan, and a large area to grow in. I envy you for that. I'm having trouble organizing how I'm going to start seeds just with the grow situation I have right now. Sounds like you had your hands very full, I can imagine. I'm gonna have to get skill at pinching raised a bit. Smart Pots larger than 3gal seems like I'm asking for trouble with how big they will grow, but if I raise my pinching skill I suppose I could keep the plant from stretching past my limitations. 10Gal Smart Pots?!? Wow, What's the height you have to work with? Or is your skill good enough to stop your plants at the height you want?

add 20 percent perlite or if to late stick a meter probe in medium all over top and in bottom holes to help air get to roots and help dry out medium thats always worked for me

Great Idea :). I have some meat skewers that I could use for that, thanks!

Thanks all for the great advice!

Peace

P

Pandaman

like capo and miser66 said
cut it with perlite

the perlite really fluffs things
roots love that extra oxygen also

Totally man, I'm gonna get some and start making my own mix. Thanks :)

Peace

O

Oregonic

Panda, hear ya on the lack of space. I got a momma as a gift and have no where to put her so now we have a sweet houseplant in a corner of our room, wife even approves!

gonna take sun's diy tent build and make a new room in the garage I think, amazing how fast a person needs more room, but then again will there ever be ENOUGH room for growing? ;)

P

Pandaman

Panda, hear ya on the lack of space. I got a momma as a gift and have no where to put her so now we have a sweet houseplant in a corner of our room, wife even approves!

gonna take sun's diy tent build and make a new room in the garage I think, amazing how fast a person needs more room, but then again will there ever be ENOUGH room for growing? ;)

Right on! It's always good when the wife approves, kinda like a Get out of Jail Free card!

No... There is never enough room!... Dammit! Have to re-arrange the entire apartment just to stick another 4x4 tent in here. NOW, I wanna have a tent for pollination, mothers/clones, sexing seedlings and a quarantine tent!

It'd probably be easier if I buy a tent for me to live in, and the plants can have the rest of the apartment!

:mad0229:

wonderinalice

wonderinalice

Panda... i grow in dirt too... I like to put about 3 inches of straight perlite in the bottom of my grow bags ...i think the compaction is just gravity ....I also mix my perlite 1/3 w/ the soil ....With the 3" of perlite in the bottom It ends up filling w/ dirt over time and allows for great oxygen at the roots and better drain... Just make sure you flush the perlite really good before planting ....I've read about "too much perlite" but haven't really had issues... Hope it helps!!

Top Bottom