Companion Planting / Vegetables And Cannabis

• Thread starter Underthesun
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Underthesun

Underthesun

In the permaculture and sustainable gardening world people use lots of companion plants to help fix NPK and too also just make the ecosystem of your garden stronger. There is quite a bit of info on which plants do better grown next to each other in terms of vegetables. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with marijuana companion plants or could point me in the right direction? I'm more interested in edible plants, fruits and vegetables mainly...I'm not really interested in growing plants I can't eat....or smoke.

I was thinking about making the most out of my dirt space, since that is part of the whole permaculture idea. Keep the soil covered and keep live roots in the ground. So what do you guys say, should I go plant some carrots, beets, raddishes or anything in the same beds as my girls?

I grow 100% organic with compost teas every other watering, some dry nutes when needed with homemade soil in raised beds ranging from 60 gallon - 300 gallon.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I haven't done edibles together with cannabis, I've been focusing more on cover crops that do well with cannabis, with the intent being to reduce water consumption.

I personally would avoid any tubers, because they need to be dug out. I would also avoid anything that tends to draw pests being right next to my cannabis (EG, heirloom colored corn, should be planted nearby purple strains to help draw pests to the corn away from the cannabis, using the corn as a trap crop), and anything that may grow up into the canopy of the cannabis. For this reason, I like rye grass less. If I get a good hedge trimmer or something like that then I'll go back to liking rye grass.

One edible I have done with great success with cannabis is fenugreek. The greens are edible, as are the seeds. It germinates and grows very quickly and doesn't grow very tall.

The other edibles I've done are chia and amaranth. Both grow VERY tall and really attract the pollinators. Too tall to be cultivated in close proximity to cannabis, IMO.

Underthesun

Underthesun

Thanks for the reply Seamaiden. I'm looking more into cover crops as well, I'm wanting to do things the most sustainable I can and getting there one step at a time. I'll take a look at some of those plants and may give some of them a try.
I agree, big underground blobs of vegetables would mess up my roots when pulled.

500lbs Guerilla

500lbs Guerilla

I grew tons of vegetables with my plants this year. not in the same mounds, but dispersed throughout the garden. Tomatoes, melons, cucumbers, peppers, squash, zucchinis, kale, lettuce, chives, garlic, basil, etc.
it was great having pollinators all year in the garden and being able to eat fresh veggies while working, but the cucumbers did bring PM into the garden area, which then spread to the melons. Luckily my plants didn't get any, but it was still scary to see. Also, pest wise, I'm not sure if the vegetables were drawing pests into the garden, or helping to keep them away from the plants. The kale seemed to attract caterpillars like crazy. Also, I had my first encounter with broad mites this year, and I'm not ruling out the vegetable starts I bout from local nurseries as the source.
All in all, I probably won't plant as many vegetables with the plants next year. I'm going to work more with comfrey, nettle, yarrow, clover, and other cover crops used extensively in the permacultural method.

Latest posts

Top Bottom