Companion plants - yay - nay - help

• Thread starter Jetdry88
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Jetdry88

Jetdry88

I was curious if any one has any experience with companion plants.
I will be growing our legal 4 plants this year 2x Cinderella 99 and 2x medical mass.
These plants will be potted in 20 gal fabric pots using promix bx and Gaia green fert. I was looking at trying to grow some companion plants in the same pots but don't know if that is the best idea. I was looking at doing a different companion each pot to see if they make a difference.
The four companions I was thinking was dill, sweet basil, mint and lemon balm.
If any one has and input toward this or a different companion to look at please let me know.

NorCalCrop650

NorCalCrop650

I was curious if any one has any experience with companion plants.
I will be growing our legal 4 plants this year 2x Cinderella 99 and 2x medical mass.
These plants will be potted in 20 gal fabric pots using promix bx and Gaia green fert. I was looking at trying to grow some companion plants in the same pots but don't know if that is the best idea. I was looking at doing a different companion each pot to see if they make a difference.
The four companions I was thinking was dill, sweet basil, mint and lemon balm.
If any one has and input toward this or a different companion to look at please let me know.
Love seeing people get into this!!! A great companion plant that I use in all my outdoor pots is red clover. This is a nitrogen fixing cover crop that’ll keep the soil moisture really constant keeping your roots happy as well as acting like a living manure as it’s constantly giving nitrogen to the soil and the roots don’t go deep enough to compete with marijuana roots. I also will trim it back every couple weeks and leave the red clover trim to break down in the soil. Also it looks pretty :)

Jetdry88

Jetdry88

Do you have issues come flowering with the red clover? I only ask due to it constantly providing N would you not get a clean product. Also with leaving the compost have you ever had issues with bugs?

NorCalCrop650

NorCalCrop650

Do you have issues come flowering with the red clover? I only ask due to it constantly providing N would you not get a clean product. Also with leaving the compost have you ever had issues with bugs?
So starting with the clover. I haven’t had an issue during flower with the red clover, I would suspect you would be able to start noticing a nitrogen toxicity in flower if there was an issue but I have not had that happen to me. If it did I would probably heavily thin the red clover (take a lot out) to make up for it. I’ve also noticed if you grow outdoors organically you don’t need to flush the soil before harvest, that could actually cause more harm by washing away a lot of the microbes and other healthy bacteria that allows organic growing to thrive. It’s very impressive how the plant is able to finish up its own life cycle, meaning even though I don’t flush my soil and it has the red clover in it I still get those late flowering deficiencies, and bringing out the best colors for those genetics.
Now with the compost, no I haven’t had any issues with bugs other than beneficial ones which as long as your growing outdoors is nothing to worry about, and can get annoying indoors. Just do some research on how to properly make compost, it takes some time for everything to break down and be useable in the garden but ever since I started making and using my own I’m never going back. Good rule of thumb with compost is that it shouldn’t smell bad, should just smell like dirt. And if your wondering what bugs I would have, I would have decomposers pop up in the compost bin being mainly rolli polis and black soldier flies, both beneficial :) also good to have some worms in there;)

PLantAsEED

PLantAsEED

Burpee makes these wildflower mix’s I am planning on covering the edge of my garden this year. Along with some dill, lavender, and additional marigolds and daisies.

Never companion planted so I can’t be much help, but I’m theory it’s sounds like a great idea for pest control??!!.

A1E8FF83 69FF 4024 98FF D056C5DFF7C8
Homesteader

Homesteader

I love companion planting but for a different reason than most. I ussually start my plants in big containers so have a good amount of extra soil at the beginning of the grows. Best bet is something like radish and dill mix (I also use soy bean). Quick germ, cheap seeds and easy to make your own seed. The dill will give you signs on toxicity/watering faster than cannabis will and it smells good to me(we use it a lot in cooking too). Radish builds channels in the soil once you pull them and I can feed my rabbits.

Forget expensive clover. Yes it build N but not as fast as soybean. The nodules do not give off N (to other plants other than themselves) until they die in both soy or clover. Clover is ridiculously expensive though.

Jetdry88

Jetdry88

I am not so worried about the nitrogen as I would prefer something that is going to be a decent camouflage, and or deters bugs. Bad aphids last year in late flower.
The other issue I have is that they are potted plants 20gal fabric and would need something that can go in there with them

NorCalCrop650

NorCalCrop650

I am not so worried about the nitrogen as I would prefer something that is going to be a decent camouflage, and or deters bugs. Bad aphids last year in late flower.
The other issue I have is that they are potted plants 20gal fabric and would need something that can go in there with them
For aphids I use basil and mint plants. The smell keeps them away. But don’t put at least the mint in the same pot I would say because they can have pretty invasive root systems.

Top Bottom