Compost Tea: Miracle Cure Or Marketing Gimmick?

• Thread starter jumpincactus
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
I will post a 2 part paper on this and I ask that you keep an open mind and take the data for what it is and come to your own conclusions on the effectiveness of this method of organic farming. What stands out in my mind is there is always a danger of the placebo effect and the herd mentality when new methods come to the market. I will add, that the claimed effectiveness of compost tea is to date still very much anecdotal and as Linda mentions there aren't a lot of peer reviewed double blinds to support this theory. Fact or fiction? You decide. Here is the first link https://puyallup.wsu.edu/lcs/wp-content/uploads/sites/403/2015/03/Compost-tea-fact-sheet.pdf

Here is the 2nd link that talks about the claimed effectiveness of ACT's used as a pathogen suppressor /cure

https://puyallup.wsu.edu/lcs/wp-content/uploads/sites/403/2015/03/compost-tea-2.pdf

Enjoy and remember take what you want and leave the rest. peace and good growing

CaliRooted

CaliRooted

IMO I don't think it's a miracle cure or anything. I've been using compost tea's for about 5 years now. I feel I do see a difference especially in the early growth phase. I usually do a tea in Veg and week 1,4,7 of flower and that's it. However I've done less tea's in flower and haven't noticed a difference in yields or anything. Microbeorganics.com has some excellent information all about tea's or anything Elaine Ingham puts out is pretty informational. Thanks for the post I enjoyed these read's. Happy Growing

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
IMO I don't think it's a miracle cure or anything. I've been using compost tea's for about 5 years now. I feel I do see a difference especially in the early growth phase. I usually do a tea in Veg and week 1,4,7 of flower and that's it. However I've done less tea's in flower and haven't noticed a difference in yields or anything. Microbeorganics.com has some excellent information all about tea's or anything Elaine Ingham puts out is pretty informational. Thanks for the post I enjoyed these read's. Happy Growing
As long as you actually read them, thats all I can ask. I'm a huge fan of aact's and such myself, but sometimes it's hard to discern the truth from placebo or anecdotal responses. Had a guy one time post that he use Terpinator and overnight he noticed a difference in terps and growth profile. Overnite, yea right. Thanks for checking it out. I will continue to always seek the truth. :)

hillbil

hillbil

Compost teas bubbled at my house every third or so watering and very weak Alfalfa teas every third and then clear. I raise small plants in 1 1/2 gallon mix in this manner.

Been using teas in and out for ten years and love what it seems to do here. I do not spray anything with teas and do not think of them as pest or decease treatments.

Tardbuster

Tardbuster

Off topic and long winded, but you mentioned it, so..
Terpinator works overnight because its fruit esters in sugar water. And zinc. The roots soak it up. It's salesmen who say otherwise. There is no science like people using the stuff claim,no chemical reactions happening or anything. Reality is the plant soaks up all kinds of stuff. When I started vaping I got into veganics because you can taste shit towards the end of a bowl sometimes. LOTS of stuff gets circulated through the root.. The vape reveals all.

No, people who grow hay bud love the stuff for a reason. Its a straight adulterant. Brix+ is the only product that takes the heat for this,but they are all the same. Brix+ would be popular if the manufacturer didn't give away how works. The plant soaks it up, any way you apply it. It's table sugar, and some hopeful redundant supplements added, potash, magsulf, horticultural oils. The weight increase of the absorbed product inflamming the bud is exactly the same whether it's molasses, Sweet, Brix+, or Terpinator: As much sugar you can pump into it.

A quote directly from Botanicare, regarding their version:

"The natural esters in Sweet are easily absorbed by the plant, but are not broken down further once deposited within the plant tissue. This means that as new flowers develop they will contain small amounts of these natural esters which contribute to the overall flavor and aroma of the finished product."

I'm going to make my own version and call it MoneyShot. With a gloved hand on the label stroking a magic wand n all that.

I've accidentally vaped enough Sweet Grape, Budcandy etc to know exactly how that crap works. Not all frost is resin either.. I've got some pics on my old computer, everything the guy grew smelled and tasted like phony OG,same exact color, and the keef wasn't trichs, some sort of clumpy white sugar dandruff. Even left snowflake patterns in the vape. Resin can't do that, sugars can. The market is flooded with this gimmick juice and the nasty fake bud it produces.

Not trying to scholarship anyone, I just know what happens when an import gets a loud muffler put on it. The teenager driving it romps on the throttle everywhere he goes and swears its extra horsepower sucking his gas milage down. He IS noticing a difference, just not amounting to what he believes.

hillbil

hillbil

Teas are easy. I top dress also. Many paths in the same woods. I have been "feeding" with a mix of green sand, soft rock phosphate, kmag,azomite, limestone powder and crushed chert rock from bottom of hill. I stir it in with soapy(Dr Bronner) aerated water a couple days before watering.

Not sure, but it seems to have a positive effect.

Organikz

Organikz

Truth is there is no scientific evidence a plant can uptake sugar in any form. It's a misconception that trichomes are sugar. They're mostly carbon and.some silica. Plants only uptake carbon through respiration. They breathe in co2 and exhale o2. No carbon.

The sugar does feed microbes so it does allow the plant to utilize more carbohydrates created during photosynthesis rather than having to sacrifice because the microbes order some.

"Carbon dioxide gas is where plants obtain their carbon for making sugars and cannabinoids, not from some sugar water given to roots. The opposite is true; plants will exude the excess carbohydrates from photosynthesis out of their roots to attract beneficial microbes, but they don't uptake sugars through roots." Sep 20, 2016
Why Feed Sugars to Your Plants' Roots? – THC BioMed Plant Science

Last edited:
Organikz

Organikz

Teas are easy. I top dress also. Many paths in the same woods. I have been "feeding" with a mix of green sand, soft rock phosphate, kmag,azomite, limestone powder and crushed chert rock from bottom of hill. I stir it in with soapy(Dr Bronner) aerated water a couple days before watering.

Not sure, but it seems to have a positive effect.
Here's the secret...kelp. it is the best dynamic accumulator yet the one thing it doesn't accumulate...sodium

Amazing stuff.

Top Bottom