Composting?

• Thread starter SRHninja
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

SRHninja

im have a pretty large outdoor garden next year. So im collecting all the leafs and yard clippings in a pile. How can i make this break down faster into good soil for the march spring?

420king-MASSES

ya gotta add 20%dirt 30% dry leaf then add clippings mix it all up nice and good then just turn your compost pile 1 or 2 times a week you should be good brotha havoc reaker

S

SRHninja

aka Supporting Radical Habits.. will throw top soil on the mix.. what about my garden? im round up'n the grass going to put pvc 8' pipe around it add top soil with manure and vermiculite to fill and raise the bed...

420king-MASSES

stoners reaking havoc claiming S-R-H //////////can you post up a pic im trying to picture what you just described

S

SRHninja

just imagine taking grass killer killing out a plot 20ftX20ft tilling the ground up then laying 6inch or 8 inch PVC pipe around your plot and filling it to the top with topsoil,manure and vermiculite (for drainage).. its a raised bed... (no cam sorry)

altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

you'd do better in a 300 gal smart pot...lol. Keep track of what you put in there- and add all vegetable-matter table scraps (no meat or oil, other than fish- it breaks down faster, imo).

great link from CO State U

420king-MASSES

srh i was actually gonna pm altitude to post here but he did it on his own slt knows his shit more so then i do so whatever he says take it and store it its solid know how

TortureKill

TortureKill

I keep a few compost piles at my places.. Wife bitches about my composting daily, but I cant stop now :D You will be surprised how fast stuff breaks down, especially once u get some worms to take over. Just turn it regularly, the smaller the stuff going in is, the faster it will break down. Ive found that pouring some old beer over the heap seems to speed things up a bit.

altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

Beer is great. What works better is to get hammered and puke the beer onto the pile- lots of enzymes in vomit. LMAO!!! (Don't ask how I know this works... it's embarrassing).

Alpaca doodoo is excellent, if you happen to have alpacas nearby, as is alfalfa, rabbit/sheep/goat manure, and I love to add egg shells (cal/mag), potato peels (all minerals), and banana peels (potassium). I do eat a lot of eggs/potatos for breakfast, and bananas.

Words of wisdom:
1. If your compost is outside (where it should be), make absolutely sure that it is generating internal heat. When you turn it, it should be noticeably warmer than the air around it, steaming if it's a brisk morning. If not, add more material containing nitrogen. The heat generated should kill fungal pathogens. Do not overdo the nitrogen, however.
2. Before you add your compost to your grow, you may want to treat it for pests. As it cools down (the composting process completes), it becomes a fertile, loving home for insects. A great way to sterilize it is to put small batches in your oven until the entire mix reaches a temp of at least 180 degrees F.

cannabeans

cannabeans

composting quickly

here is a link
www.emrousa.com -
effective micro organisims
quick easily painless odorless
i use it works awesome! provides the best tea!

TortureKill

TortureKill

Lots of good points altitude.. Thanks for the info on the alpacas.. I actually do know a kind lady within close range that has an alpaca farm! Im going to have to give her a call :)

Top Bottom