Composting

• Thread starter Purple Grapes
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
I run a large compost pile off to the side of my yard. It consists of larger piles of leaves, sticks and twigs, trimmings from the shrubs, grass clippings, other yard waste and all of the larger things. Next to my garden I have another smaller pile.
I collect the decaying leaves and twigs and add them to my smaller compost pile as needed.. also mulch. I will collect worms periodically and throw them in.
This smaller pile also consists of kitchen scraps (mainly banana peels, egg shells, vegetable and fruit peels and waste, hair from my electric razor and wifes hair brush ;), dryer lint, coffee grounds, toilet paper and towel rolls, newspaper, finger nail clippings..). I also add droppings from the pet rabbit, and some of his alfalfa pellets (the rabbit poop isnt necessary to compost, and can be used as a top dressing or mixed right in with your soil). I throw in rootballs and stems from old potted plants (i make sure to bury those deep in the pile :) )

During the outdoor season, I like to mix in a couple handfuls of the alfalfa pellets in the bottom of my holes. They take a minimal amount of time to break down and the plants benefit from the N. I usually mix my compost in with the native soil (a couple shovels/hole) and top dress, and water with teas (biobizz) throughout the season.
Other than the Rabbit turds, I dont use any other manures.

Great post! Great info.

Peeps should do this!

Fingernail clippings?.....really?.:dull......lol

Top Bottom