Compressor blankets are awesome!

• Thread starter growhard
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

growhard

So I came up with this brilliant idea of making a sound deadening sock for my new 5 ton... only to find out that they have been around for ages.
I called up Excel Air and asked about these compressor blankets to see if there were any issues using them. They said to buy two of them and put one over the other.
I did just that, and it's awesome! You can still hear it, but you have to try. Before it was much noisier, especially at start up.
Just thought I'd throw this info out there in case anyone else has been growing for years and never heard of them... get one... no, get two!

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

So I came up with this brilliant idea of making a sound deadening sock for my new 5 ton... only to find out that they have been around for ages.
I called up Excel Air and asked about these compressor blankets to see if there were any issues using them. They said to buy two of them and put one over the other.
I did just that, and it's awesome! You can still hear it, but you have to try. Before it was much noisier, especially at start up.
Just thought I'd throw this info out there in case anyone else has been growing for years and never heard of them... get one... no, get two!

I am a HVAC pro. I would be very careful with doing that with 1 blanket let alone 2. They used to be very popular except they cause compressor to overheat in hot weather. This will cause the compressor to fail early. Excel is not correct. I have seen this happen on same store in less than 2 years. After 2nd change out of compressor we removed blanket. Has not failed in 6 years. Is your compressor tall and skinny or short and kinda fat? The tall skinny compressors are scroll type and should be quieter than the fat short ones (reciprocating). If you choose to leave the blankets on the compressor, I would watch the unit very carefully in hot weather. If you see a significant reduction in capacity get that blanket off of compressor fast (may save ur compressor).

G

growhard

Thanks for ze info, as that is what my basic logic told me too. Excel said this wasn't so much of a problem as the real heat is dictated by the liquid in the lines. If you look at Excel's stealth systems, the tall, scroll type compressor is totally sealed in a sound deadened box. The things are unbelievably quiet, especially when the compressors are not outside at all. Having said this, I did have one failure after three years on one of their old style models. Even though it was just out of it's warranty, Excel shipped me a new upgraded one for free and said it never should have happened. Seeing as they advised me to do it, and that it would not void my warranty, and my stealth compressors are totally deprived of air... I'll keep running with them, but I'll be keeping an eye on them come Summer.
Thanks again,
Growhard.

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

Thanks for ze info, as that is what my basic logic told me too. Excel said this wasn't so much of a problem as the real heat is dictated by the liquid in the lines. If you look at Excel's stealth systems, the tall, scroll type compressor is totally sealed in a sound deadened box. The things are unbelievably quiet, especially when the compressors are not outside at all. Having said this, I did have one failure after three years on one of their old style models. Even though it was just out of it's warranty, Excel shipped me a new upgraded one for free and said it never should have happened. Seeing as they advised me to do it, and that it would not void my warranty, and my stealth compressors are totally deprived of air... I'll keep running with them, but I'll be keeping an eye on them come Summer.
Thanks again,
Growhard.

If they told you to do it and warranty is not void then do it. Keep you ears and eyes open for changes in noise or capacity. Best of luck. I would be curious to see one of their Stealth units up close. The most heat is generated in the compressor and compressor motor. The compressor raises pressure and temp of refrigerant so it can be condensed by outside air. The best way to keep an eye on the compressor is to take temp of discharge line near compressor with a infrared thermometer (if u own one). Measure temps in cooler weather and then check in warmer weather and then hot weather. Use these as baselines. Good luck on ur grow.

Top Bottom