Concentrating Tincture Help

• Thread starter Joshius
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Joshius

Joshius

First timer here, and I hope that I am posting this in the right place. I am trying to make a marijuana tincture using everclear. I used a small personal bottle with some collected stems and some carboxylated bud. My problem is that the everclear stings way too much. I know that I need to let the alcohol evaporate, I am just trying to figure out the best way to do it. It's such a small amount of liquid that I am a little worried trying to put it on heat and I don't know how to judge how much has evaporated if I set it out. What would you guys suggest? I want to reduce the whole bottle by about 50%. I don't want it to be completely dry because I still want to use it with a dropper. I don't need ALL the alcohol out just enough to reduce the burn. Also I have a few more questions:

If I remove the everclear from the tincture does that mean I can no longer add to it? At what point could I no longer benefit from adding more product? Is there a point where the alcohol is ever no longer effective at breaking down and extracting the THC (sorry if I don't know the correct terms).

I was initially told to keep it in a cold dark place like a freezer to keep it from getting a bitter taste. Will leaving it out on a counter to evaporate hurt the tincture?

Someone told me to try flavoring the tincture by letting a green jolly rancher dissolve. Would this hurt anything?

again sorry if anything sounds like a silly question. This is the first time I have done anything like this and I just want to do it right. Thanks in advance for any help or advice you may have.

quirk

quirk

Reduction by evaporation won't reduce the burn, unless totally evaporated. but will reduce dosage needed to get you where you want to be. I can't tolerate sublingual so I dose in yoplait sprinkled with a little decarbed bud. That being said, I use the freezer method to strip trichomes at a ratio of 15gr. decarbed flower to 8oz, Everclear, then reduce to 4oz. And yes, store in freezer.

DSCN1992 2
DSCN0861
DSCN1738 2
DSCN0872 2
DSCN0113 2
Joshius

Joshius

Reduction by evaporation won't reduce the burn, unless totally evaporated. but will reduce dosage needed to get you where you want to be. I can't tolerate sublingual so I dose in yoplait sprinkled with a little decarbed bud. That being said, I use the freezer method to strip trichomes at a ratio of 15gr. decarbed flower to 8oz, Everclear, then reduce to 4oz. And yes, store in freezer.

How do you reduce to 4 oz? Is there any way to reduce the burn? And will flavoring the tincture affect the potency at all? Like I mentioned someone advised me to drop a green jolly rancher in there.

FourthCity

FourthCity

I would keep the tincture as is but dilute when dosing. You can mix the dose into a drink or food like Quirk with the yogurt to make the taste more palatable.

Joshius

Joshius

I would keep the tincture as is but dilute when dosing. You can mix the dose into a drink or food like Quirk with the yogurt to make the taste more palatable.

I thought it had to be dosed under the tongue to avoid passing through the liver.

And how do you feel about constantly adding? Like let the bud sit for a few weeks and then strain and add more?

FourthCity

FourthCity

I thought it had to be dosed under the tongue to avoid passing through the liver.

And how do you feel about constantly adding? Like let the bud sit for a few weeks and then strain and add more?
That is not my understanding, like with alcohol, the liver doesn't filter out or stop the effects of the thc, it just slows the absorption. Its true that dosing under the tongue partially bypasses the liver, this will make effects start and end more quickly. Swallowing with some food or drink will make it take longer before the effects start but they will last longer. I dont use any bud in my tinctures, they are usually made from fresh dry ice hash or my leftover disks from pressing the hash into rosin.

Joshius

Joshius

That is not my understanding, like with alcohol, the liver doesn't filter out or stop the effects of the thc, it just slows the absorption. Its true that dosing under the tongue partially bypasses the liver, this will make effects start and end more quickly. Swallowing with some food or drink will make it take longer before the effects start but they will last longer. I dont use any bud in my tinctures, they are usually made from fresh dry ice hash or my leftover disks from pressing the hash into rosin.

I didn't know that. I did notice the effect was kind of fleeting.

What I did was I chopped up all my stems and some shake from some really good bud and decarboxylated it in the oven for a bit. I put it all in a mini bottle of Everclear and I let it soak for a few weeks then strained and repeated the process. It's a nice color and a great smell and a decent flavor (compared to straight Everclear lol). I also have another bottle that I started using a different bud and it's got a darker tone and not near as nice smelling.

FourthCity

FourthCity

I didn't know that. I did notice the effect was kind of fleeting.

What I did was I chopped up all my stems and some shake from some really good bud and decarboxylated it in the oven for a bit. I put it all in a mini bottle of Everclear and I let it soak for a few weeks then strained and repeated the process. It's a nice color and a great smell and a decent flavor (compared to straight Everclear lol). I also have another bottle that I started using a different bud and it's got a darker tone and not near as nice smelling.
When you say you strained and repeated what do you mean? Also, if you are looking for another way to remove the alcohol taste you can pour the tincture into a pyrex dish and let it sit out (uncovered but somewhere dark) until all the everclear evaporates, usually a couple weeks. You will be left with a sticky sludge that that you can then mix with coconut oil and use in pretty much any recipe that calls for oil.

Joshius

Joshius

I mean that I used a screen to filter out the stems and then added some fresh bud.

That sounds interesting, but I am actually not looking to do any cooking. Just wanted to make the most out of my shake and stems. Is there anything else you can do with the oil? I heard someone suggest I leave it out on a pyrex dish and then mix what's left with a little bit of honey. He told me I could coat joints in it or something. Is that what you're talking about?

FourthCity

FourthCity

I mean that I used a screen to filter out the stems and then added some fresh bud.

That sounds interesting, but I am actually not looking to do any cooking. Just wanted to make the most out of my shake and stems. Is there anything else you can do with the oil? I heard someone suggest I leave it out on a pyrex dish and then mix what's left with a little bit of honey. He told me I could coat joints in it or something. Is that what you're talking about?
The oil is basically just decarbed, concentrated thc. In that form it is very versatile, it can be mixed with coconut oil for cooking, it can be ingested as is or put in capsules, you use it topically undiluted or mix it in with your favorite muscle cream or balm, lots of different options. I wouldn't use stems in the tincture unless they are visibly coated in thc, in my opinion they will not contribute enough to be worth the alcohol needed to process them.

Joshius

Joshius

They were pretty coated in crystals which is why I hated to waste them. I also included a pretty fair amount of shake and I think I might add some more since I got another batch so I am not worried too much about potency. I just don't like the burn.

Have you heard of people flavoring tinctures to help with the burn? Like I mentioned earlier someone suggested to put a green jolly rancher in to dissolve.

Dan789

Dan789

You can try using instead of the alcohol for a tincture, a food grade glycerin will work similar to the alcohol, and doesn’t upset the tongue or stomach at all.
I’ve stopped using alcohol derived tinctures for that very reason. The only truly safe way to reduce an alcohol derived tincture is through evaporation, but like it’s been mentioned that reduction doesn’t do anything for the burn, you’re experiencing.
Suggest you try either coconut infused liquid, which can then be put into caps, or the glycerin tincture. Even dry MJ (that’s been decarb’d) can be ground and put into caps for dosing, and the ingestion route works a little more subtly than the alcohol tinctures, imho.

FourthCity

FourthCity

Have you heard of people flavoring tinctures to help with the burn? Like I mentioned earlier someone suggested to put a green jolly rancher in to dissolve.
Flavoring has nothing to do with the burn, its not burning flavor, high proof alcohol just burns. Put your dose into a full glass of a sugary drink like hi c and it will not burn at all, if I wasn't clear before, you can mix it in with anything you want. The more you dilute the tincture (with anything other than alcohol) the less it will burn and you will not lose any potency by doing that.

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
First timer here, and I hope that I am posting this in the right place. I am trying to make a marijuana tincture using everclear. I used a small personal bottle with some collected stems and some carboxylated bud. My problem is that the everclear stings way too much. I know that I need to let the alcohol evaporate, I am just trying to figure out the best way to do it. It's such a small amount of liquid that I am a little worried trying to put it on heat and I don't know how to judge how much has evaporated if I set it out. What would you guys suggest? I want to reduce the whole bottle by about 50%. I don't want it to be completely dry because I still want to use it with a dropper. I don't need ALL the alcohol out just enough to reduce the burn. Also I have a few more questions:

If I remove the everclear from the tincture does that mean I can no longer add to it? At what point could I no longer benefit from adding more product? Is there a point where the alcohol is ever no longer effective at breaking down and extracting the THC (sorry if I don't know the correct terms).

I was initially told to keep it in a cold dark place like a freezer to keep it from getting a bitter taste. Will leaving it out on a counter to evaporate hurt the tincture?

Someone told me to try flavoring the tincture by letting a green jolly rancher dissolve. Would this hurt anything?

again sorry if anything sounds like a silly question. This is the first time I have done anything like this and I just want to do it right. Thanks in advance for any help or advice you may have.
No need for everclear if making a tincture. Same process as ever clear use vegetable glycerine and soak for about 3 hrs and that strain and squeeze out through a coffee filter

tincupbb

tincupbb

No need for everclear if making a tincture. Same process as ever clear use vegetable glycerine and soak for about 3 hrs and that strain and squeeze out through a coffee filter
If I use VG and soak for 3 hours, that will give me an infusion and not an extract that I can concentrate? Is that correct?
Can I not use Ethyl Acetate instead of the Ethanol to do the Extraction?
I'm new to this and about 4 weeks away from my first harvest (outdoor grow in South Africa).

Joshius

Joshius

Is that really a tincture though? I thought a tincture was specifically a medicine made by dissolving a drug in alcohol. Are you really left with the same product using vegetable glycerine?

PlumberSoCal2

PlumberSoCal2

No stems. Ruins the taste.

Decarb weed, 250F 30 min. Place weed in a coffee filter and tie closed. Place in jar. 1 use 2-4 grams decarbed weed per 1 oz alcohol. I usually allow to sit for 24+ hrs but understand most of the molecules we want are removed within the first 30 minutes or so. I prefer the taste of a longer soak.
20200307 111019

Add equal amounts (if your tincture works for you) of tincture to VG in a jar. Place jar in a small crockpot in a water bath for 2-3 hrs and the alcohol will be evaporated and you'll have a VG tincture that you can also vape.

20200307 110951

I made a couple ounces last night but I used 1gm kief to 1 oz alcohol. YUM and really strong. Makes good vape juice too.

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
Easy guide using VG and yes it concentrates without the need of ethanol etc and the taste is present and non of the harsher methods which are redundant. I been using this method of years. And it lasts at strenght up to a yr

PlumberSoCal2

PlumberSoCal2

Easy guide using VG and yes it concentrates without the need of ethanol etc and the taste is present and non of the harsher methods which are redundant. I been using this method of years. And it lasts at strenght up to a yr
Some of us are Irish and like the booze🍸

I tried the vg a few years ago and wasn't thrilled with the end product but I was puffing my brains out so it might have been good but I'd never have know it🤣

I also tried evaporating the alcohol before mixing and the oil wouldn't mix with vg or pg. Good for dabs though!

I like the booze extract a lot but can't (should not) vape it.

I'll give it another go😉

Top Bottom