Condensation & mold in between roof joists

• Thread starter Roogie
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
R

Roogie

Hello, I need some construction advice to eradicate an existing situation.
in my shop I have a sealed grow area, flower room and a vege room that we constructed ourselves. The “loft” in the shop acts as a storage area for all the crap you seem to accumulate over time. The “grow rooms” are below the loft.
When we constructed the rooms we put Rockwood insulation in between all joists throughout. I also used spray foam on the floor edges because pole buildings seem to let moisture in if you are building as just a shop. Anyway all walls and ceilings are layered as follows…. Proper R value for 2x12, 2x6 and 2x4 walls. Of course all electrical and water lines (pex) run in between the loft and grow ceiling. Then there is a 6mil plastic sheeting for a vapor and order control, then sheet rock finished in smooth wall and painted with KILZ, 5 coats.
While out of town for 48 hours my AC went down, creating destruction to all living g plants. It also made some “bleeding” in the vege room from the ceiling (out of an electrical outlet) and in one corner of the room.
After ripping out have the ceiling, cutting the plastic and removing the insulation that was very wet at the top only from condensation. I know after researching I should have used TYVEK or a breathable vapor barrier.; should have, would have. Be that as it may, I have a serious condensation and mold issue above the vege room. I drilled 2” holes in the loft floor through the the area with no moisture above the flower room, it only above the vege room.
Here’s my construction/ venting question…. if I drill small 3/16” holes through the loft in pattern along the outside edges working to the far side (interior) walls, will this allow the area to breath and dry? Short of ripping the entire loft floor apart, I’m hoping to eradicate the situation and stop future problems. My theory is the holes will act a soffit allowing the loft floor and grow ceiling to breath and release moisture. I would put small hardware cloth over the holes to prevent rodents and insects to enter the area.

Both rooms are “sealed” not air i or out with C02. My humidity level in flower are 45-50% however I have not ran a separate humidifier in the vege room because the two rooms use the same AC/ air handler units with relays and separate thermostats. I will ne putting a humidifier in the vege room to bring the humidity levels in the 50-55% range.

My apologies for being so long winded. Im trying to give the best description as possible so you might be able to give advice.

Thanks ahead of time for input

tobh

tobh

Supporter
I've not personally dealt with moisture damage at this scale but I would do this:

- spray everything down up there with bleach and/or moldicide.
- put some extremely strong fans in the loft. get air moving in there ASAP before dry rot really sets into the joists.
- run a dehumidifier alongside the fans.
- might be worth putting some penetrations in the roof to evacuate heat/moisture from up there as well.
- once everything is dry, prime it with moldicide treated KILZ and then install a proper vapor barrier.
- replace all the wet insulation and patch everything back up.

It's gonna get more expensive before it's fixed but if i were you, i'd rather spend a bit now and fix the fundamental problems than have to replace an entire roof structure down the line. best of luck!

Kevuk

Kevuk

Heating the loft to a similar temperature to your grow room will help massively.

R

Roogie

I've not personally dealt with moisture damage at this scale but I would do this:

- spray everything down up there with bleach and/or moldicide.
- put some extremely strong fans in the loft. get air moving in there ASAP before dry rot really sets into the joists.
- run a dehumidifier alongside the fans.
- might be worth putting some penetrations in the roof to evacuate heat/moisture from up there as well.
- once everything is dry, prime it with moldicide treated KILZ and then install a proper vapor barrier.
- replace all the wet insulation and patch everything back up.

It's gonna get more expensive before it's fixed but if i were you, i'd rather spend a bit now and fix the fundamental problems than have to replace an entire roof structure down the line. best of luck!
thanks for the reply and best wishes.
I agree and did exactly what you said yesterday. I also drilled 2” holes in the loft top floor and will be making a air mainfild so I can stick pex tubing that will blow air through the joists and out the opposite side up onto the loft area. I’ve been keeping a fire going in the wood stove. You can’t i shine how much wood it takes to heat a 40x84’ w/ 20’ peak to 54 degree ( my highest yesterday) when it’s 27 degrees outside.
Hopefully, the red neck “joist blower” will work well. If so, I’m going to leave it in place and running until …….
Anyway, thanks again, I appreciate your response and time.

R

Roogie

Heating the loft to a similar temperature to your grow room will help massively.
thanks for the reply and best wishes.
I agree and did exactly what you said yesterday. I’ve been keeping a fire going in the wood stove. You can’t imagine how much wood it takes to heat a 40x84’ w/ 20’ peak to 54 degree ( my highest yesterday) when it’s 27 degrees outside. Additionally I got creative drilled 2” holes in the loft top floor and will be making a air mainfild so I can stick pex tubing that will blow air through all
the joists and out the opposite side up onto the loft area.
Hopefully, the red neck “joist blower” will work well. If so, I’m going to leave it in place and running until …….
Anyway, thanks again, I appreciate your response and time

tobh

tobh

Supporter
man that's a lot of wood to try and heat that space. that's one of those shituations you keep a fire burning non-stop for days to try and maintain temperature at something resembling comfortable. good luck!

Latest posts

Top Bottom